Lt. Commander
When I use the "highlight contribution to" feature of the skillbox and select my "Phaser Beam Array" ability, it highlights the expected Starship Energy Weapons Training, Starship Beam Weapons, and Starship Phaser Weapons skillboxes.

It also highlights the Starship Operations Training, Starship Sensors, And Starship Sensor Array skillboxes.

What gives? I know those latter three skills influence "target subsystem: X" abilities (which don't show up in the "highlight contribution to" list, by the way) but as far as I can tell they don't actually have any impact on your basic beam attack.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
When I use the "highlight contribution to" feature of the skillbox and select my "Phaser Beam Array" ability, it highlights the expected Starship Energy Weapons Training, Starship Beam Weapons, and Starship Phaser Weapons skillboxes.

It also highlights the Starship Operations Training, Starship Sensors, And Starship Sensor Array skillboxes.

What gives? I know those latter three skills influence "target subsystem: X" abilities (which don't show up in the "highlight contribution to" list, by the way) but as far as I can tell they don't actually have any impact on your basic beam attack.
I can think of 3 reasons:

1. its a beam array and therefore falls under sensor beam as well.
2. bug
3. phasers proc the same subsystem takedown as the target subsystem: X abilities. (if it is due to this, any other beam type would not show those 3 highlights. anyone care to test and report?)
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdt_the_confused View Post
I can think of 3 reasons:

1. its a beam array and therefore falls under sensor beam as well.
2. bug
3. phasers proc the same subsystem takedown as the target subsystem: X abilities. (if it is due to this, any other beam type would not show those 3 highlights. anyone care to test and report?)
It shows up for disruptor beam array as well.

I can tell you that placing points in Operations seems to have absolutely no impact on the amount of damage the beam weapon tooltip reports doing (despite it being one of the lit boxes).
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-12-2010, 03:44 PM
in the case of number 3, maybe the said systems that affect it (ops, sensors, sensor array) dont just affect target subsystem, but rather affect the secondary ability of any weapon, and is only evident for phasers because its the only one we have boff skills that would do the same thing. (anyone able to test if such is the cas?)
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Starship Operations Training, Starship Sensors, And Starship Sensor Array effect Beam BO abilities Beam Target Shields/Weapons/Aux/Engines and Beam Fire at Will. Maybe Beam overload too but I'm not sure on that one.

You'll notice these skills do not show up on the list on their own because they are lumped in with Whatever Beam Array type you have equipped.