Lt. Commander
# 11
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexaura
Thanks. I wonder if CoX model viewers and utilities will work as well.
Not likely. Different engine.

If it's machinima you guys want, have you tried the demo recorder/editor tool? H2orat had a thread up asking for people to help him with it. All our in-engine trailers and videos use it.

-S
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solion
Not likely. Different engine.

If it's machinima you guys want, have you tried the demo recorder/editor tool? H2orat had a thread up asking for people to help him with it. All our in-engine trailers and videos use it.

-S
Well, if you guys would... I don't know... STICKY the thread so that it doesn't keep getting burried under a mountain of complaint threads, maybe more people would take notice of it...
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexaura
Is there a fan-made STO model viewer? If not, is Cryptic planning on releasing one? (I'm sure there's code for similar internal tools...)

The WoW model viewer remains one of the single greatest assets for WoW machinima. A simple tool like this for STO would greatly increase machinima quality and make aspiring machinimists' lives easier.
you should google "soma eats a taco"
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
first off has anyone got a reliable tool for extracting the hogg (pigg) files?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm a bit surprised, this discussion is endulged by the devs. I thought, the penalty for reading hoggs was account suspension. Never dared to touch that stuff. But search engines are your friend!

According to Google it should be simple to extract hogg-archives and at least access textures. Weired stuff, but obviously these people succeeded.

Would be nice, if the ToU were to be relaxed as to allow local client changes to STO GFX. On the other hand, then the C-Store would not make much sense, would it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
While we don't offer anything official, I'm sure you find something if you look hard enough. Our models and textures are in a pretty standard format last I looked.
May we take this as "de-facto" permission unpack the hogg files and look at these data files?
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
May we take this as "de-facto" permission unpack the hogg files and look at these data files?
I am not a lawyer or authorized to speak on Cryptic's behalf on such issues. If you want to know what is allowed, check the EULA and consult an attorney.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-29-2010, 01:23 PM
For what it's worth, what I've seen in other games boils down to "if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do it." IE, if the game includes tools and instructions for modding something, it's fine to mod it. If it doesn't, you probably can't without breaking the EULA.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
first off has anyone got a reliable tool for extracting the hogg (pigg) files?
I haven't bothered to roll one suitable for random people to use, but it's not even remotely difficult. The hogg format is an uncomplicated archive, with a directory in the usual style. The compression algorithm is good old zlib (off the top of my head, I can't remember whether it's 1950 or 1952).
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Preface: I am not a lawyer

However, if you are only going to _look_ at the files on _your_ hard drive, then you are free to do as you wish, it is, after all, your computer.

If you want to modify them then you need to comply with the license agreements (i.e. this isn't allowed).

There is nothing to stop you from writing a tool that reads data off your hard drive - remember, this is how the Hot Coffee was found in GTA...
If the tool turns out to be awesome, then please get Cryptics blessing and post it up on the STO intel wiki