Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
hello,

my questions is. Why are the starfleet ships so ugly. The new "nomad" the "imperial" the "nimbus" ... these designs have nothing to do with the real Star Trek design.

Make a real achilles-Class or a vesta-Class ...

please kick off the ship-designer
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Perhaps they were not allowded to use too much of the classic designs .
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Obviously a subjective opinion. I don't see what's 'un-starfleet' about them.

By contrast, I'd say the Defiant is both ugly and 'un-starfleet': No nacelles, no hull/saucer, way too small...
Lt. Commander
# 4 wrong
05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Obviously a subjective opinion. I don't see what's 'un-starfleet' about them.

By contrast, I'd say the Defiant is both ugly and 'un-starfleet': No nacelles, no hull/saucer, way too small...
by contrast id say you where wrong, The Defiant is a tactical ship. the federation needed fast agile ships with punch. They had none. only cruisers and frigates which had outward nacelles the dominion and the cardasians where attacking them during the war. no nacelles means no warp. nacelles under abaltive armour is harder to destroy. of course in this game the only way you can miss a ship is if you fire torpedoe spread. otherwise you cant miss a ship. its not star trek lore but i guess these guys didnt think of that.

The design concept of some of the ships are out their But they should give us a choice of which ship we wish to buy from that store. See which ship gets the most DL. the old or the new. Star fleet never retired the excelsior or the nebula. The achillies is not typically a canon ship because it was not in the movies or shows. It was introduced in a game and by design and functionalty is typically a bad arsh. Like i said before poelpe we as the community should be focused on actual ships and not skins. who give a rats but about a skin when your ships are all the same. we want ships that you are able to transform and experiment with. we should not be limited in ship functionality. We all need to agree that skins are bad and actual ship functionality is what we want. we can argue later what ships should be in the game but not as a skin.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-14-2010, 08:34 AM
The Defiant takes all the classic elements of Starfleet ships and compacts them into a small destroyer type ship.
It is very much a Trek ship.

Things like the Imperial on the other hand aren't. Some parts of it are decent, but the complete ship is an ugly monster. It also violates one of Roddenberry's key rules by having the bridge set far back from the center of the saucer.
Don't even get me started on the DSSVs, the Nimbus is actually the least objectionable and most Trek-like of those. Well aside from it's ridiculous zeppelin pod.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManzelot
hello,

my questions is. Why are the starfleet ships so ugly. The new "nomad" the "imperial" the "nimbus" ... these designs have nothing to do with the real Star Trek design.

Make a real achilles-Class or a vesta-Class ...

please kick off the ship-designer
How are the ships that you posted any different from the ones Cryptic is putting in the game?
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
the new ships are really ugly, like a russian or chinese car. pure ugly!!!

the klingon ships are really good work they look like star trek in the 25th century. but a starfleet ship must look clean like a galaxy, sovereign class.

if i would mix a bmw a mercedes and for example a corvette it would be a really ugly car and that the same like the new ships they dont look like starfleet.

A STARFLEET SHIP MUST LOOK CLEAN !!!
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManzelot
the new ships are really ugly, like a russian or chinese car. pure ugly!!!

the klingon ships are really good work they look like star trek in the 25th century. but a starfleet ship must look clean like a galaxy, sovereign class.

if i would mix a bmw a mercedes and for example a corvette it would be a really ugly car and that the same like the new ships they dont look like starfleet.

A STARFLEET SHIP MUST LOOK CLEAN !!!
Yeah most people thought that the Imperial wasn't too hot to say the least. You should check out the Nomad though, it will probably change your perspective given that it looks very similar to the vestra you posted above...

http://www.startrekonline.com/store
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Times have changed. The Federation has been at war with every major power in the quadrant and beyond. AND That was 30 years ago.

From in game, the Federations current major enemies include, but are not limited to.

- Udine
- Borg
- Romulans
- Klingons
- True Way

The Imperial-Class ASSAULT CRUISER, is not like older starfleet ships. While exploration is still a key part of starfleets charter, Warships have become a lot more common, and necessary.

That said... Some of the ships are really ugly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
I like the new Nomad. I changed my Star Cruiser to mostly that. (I didn't like the saucer). So instead of using my assault cruiser of DOOOOM, i'll start tinkering with the Star Cruiser i have.