Lt. Commander
# 11
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post
... nor the US Army a stash of M-14s.
Actually :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rif...acement_by_M16

There are some M-14's in service. Plus it's been shown before that countries will take old ships out of mothballs and retrofit them for service again. Starfleet does have a museum of old ships somewhere, so it would stand to reason that old technology is out there still and it could be used if the need was great enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iow...2.80.931984.29
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Ok, I'm game for TOS hand phasers or TOS movie phaser pistols, in fact I'd love to have some lying around, but I beg of you cryptic, distance yourself from JJ Abrams' abomination.

Regardless of it's popularity, it doesn't take the series in a better direction, it merely takes it in a direction that appeals to the vast multitude of young views who dislike deep plot and cerebral stimuli and prefer explosions, sex, T&A and sexy explosions. This is the generation that should gladly trade a story that is complex or challenging for 90 minutes of HD explosion and a bad a$$ lead who rips people's heads off like some deranged psychopath.

Yeah it sell, that great. But it only sells because people's expectations have fallen and their tolerance for deep stories is all but gone. Numeral popularity doesn't necessarily reflect a product's quality. And a paradigm shift in preference from deep stories and adventure to mindless explosions and T&A doesn't suddenly mean that making movies devoid of a deep and rich story is a way to make good movies, just movies that sell.

Cryptic, I beg you, stand clear of JJ Abrams.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
Yeah it sell, that great.
The JJ Abrams stuff sells, because people like it.

The fact that you and a handful of other trekkies dislike Abrams Trek and everything to do with it means nothing. Abrams Trek made more money than any two other Star Trek movies combined. Because it was the best Star Trek movie ever made.

Asking a business to ignore that because it doesn't fit in with 'your vision' of what Star Trek is supposed to be like, makes no sense.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
The fact that you and a handful of other trekkies dislike Abrams Trek and everything to do with it means nothing. Abrams Trek made more money than any two other Star Trek movies combined. Because it was [i]the best Star Trek movie ever made.
And yet contains a glaring plot hole.

Spock's plan was to create a black hole to contain a supernova's energy to save the galaxy and Romulus. If he was successful, wouldn't a black hole of that size eventually destroyed Romulus anyways? Or was there a secret plan to destroy said black hole after it ate the energy?

Also, how did Kirk go from being a third year cadet (essentially a junior in college) to being a starship captain with the rank of full Captain? Over Spock who was already a Commander!?!
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
The JJ Abrams stuff sells, because people like it.

The fact that you and a handful of other trekkies dislike Abrams Trek and everything to do with it means nothing. Abrams Trek made more money than any two other Star Trek movies combined. Because it was the best Star Trek movie ever made.

Asking a business to ignore that because it doesn't fit in with 'your vision' of what Star Trek is supposed to be like, makes no sense.
Aren't we a bit agressive here?

People have a right to their opinions. Not everyone liked to new movie! I hate the new movie for example because it wasn't Trek and it used their names and the license. The new movie stuff doesn't belong in the game because the game takes place in the prime timeline universe and not the alternate reality from the new movie.

You are correct however that the new movie was a big financial/bussines success. It saved the Star Trek Franchise. I agree with you there. Did the new movie had a thought-provoking intelligent story? No, in my opinion it had not. All this movie was was a shoot em up.

Kill everything on sight. Revenge this and revenge that. I for myself didn't find any morals or ethics in the movie. Doesn't mean they weren't there for other viewers. We have come into a time were special effects are more important than a good story. Just look at Transformers. Many people only want to see action and explosions and stuff. It seems that that makes for good movies these days.

We so called haters are in the minority. I understand that and can accept this. But don't look down on us. We have every right to our own opinions and the few misguided individuals from both sides who are attacking everyone should make peace or open a productive dialogue between us so that we can have some peacefull relations and to salvage our friendships.

The new one however did one good thing for me. It renewed my apreciation for the great work Rick Berman did. This again is my opinion. Many would disagree with it I assume. We are a very volatile fanbase if you look closely at it. Let us see. When Rick Berman took over The Next Generation when Gene passed away he molded this show to what became a fan favorite. We loved the man and praised him for who and what he was and for what he did. With that praise and financial success we were given Deep Space Nine. Another milestone in Trek history. And again many of us were gratefull for this show as it proved to be an impressive feat and one of the greatest Star Trek shows out there to this date.

Because of his and all the staffs (everyone who worked on that show) succes we got another TV show as everyone knows. Star Trek: Voyager. Here began the trouble they made some unpopular decisions and alienated some of us. Me excluded. I loved every tv show. What did we the fans do? We jumped at the mans throat and didn't let go. We strangled the franchise we loved so much. Some of us even said in public forum that they would bring Voyager down. Luckily the show ran for its full seven seasons. Not stellar ones but mediocre entertainment at the end.

Then Berman and Braga deicded to go the way of a prequel and the hate from many of took a new level. We openly atacked them. Calling them names wishing for Star Trek to fail miserably etc. It was no surprise that the show was cancelled after only four good seasons. Many of us didn't give the show a chance.

Oh I know everyone lave/hate topic. Star Trek Nemesis. Agreed it had a lot of mistakes and continuity problems in it. But if you look at the story only. Not the special effects or the movies execution then it was a good story. Yes it borrowed some elements from previous Trek but only the best bits and pieces. Did we thank them for yet another Star Trek movie that was made regardless of the less than stellar financial success of the predecessors? No we didn't. We attacked them and Rick Berman in particular again. The man didn't deserve that. Especially not after giving us so much great Trek.

I wish that Rick Berman would be given a new chance. A second chance to give us quality entertainment in the prime universe of the 24rth century or even further ahead in the timeline.

Again I stress it that all of the above is my opinion only.

I sincerely hope that we can get along again in a peacefull manner.

Thank you for reading. Live long and prosper.

(Please forgive my english. It is not my first language.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracknell
All this movie was was a shoot em up.

Kill everything on sight. Revenge this and revenge that. I for myself didn't find any morals or ethics in the movie. Doesn't mean they weren't there for other viewers. We have come into a time were special effects are more important than a good story. Just look at Transformers. Many people only want to see action and explosions and stuff. It seems that that makes for good movies these days.
Thank goodness STO is nothing like this.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by personae
Thank goodness STO is nothing like this.
I know huh? And it sure is a good thing that the Star Trek TV shows were never like that, huh?

"This is the commander of the USS Enterprise. All cities and installations on Eminiar Seven have been located, identified, and fed into our fire control system. In one hour and forty-five minutes the entire inhabited surface of your planet will be destroyed. You have that long to surrender your hostages." - LCDR Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Funny thing is that one of the wallpapers for STO(or was it concept) had a klingon and vulcan woman fighting eachother and the Vulcan is wielding a TOS style phaser. :p
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
I know huh? And it sure is a good thing that the Star Trek TV shows were never like that, huh?

"This is the commander of the USS Enterprise. All cities and installations on Eminiar Seven have been located, identified, and fed into our fire control system. In one hour and forty-five minutes the entire inhabited surface of your planet will be destroyed. You have that long to surrender your hostages." - LCDR Scott, A Taste of Armageddon.
Your proof is a bluff that Scotty and Kirk used to show these people the true horror of war? Wow... just wow.

Seeing your avatar lets me assume that you at least watched TNG and DS9. TNG was almost entirely made of diplomatic contacts with only a few exceptions. DS9 is another story. Diplomacy broke down and they showed us the extreme.

Besides STO is currently very untrek like in my opinion. The devs acknowledged it and we will be getting a diplomacy solution soon. And then everyone can play what they want. Shoot em up or being diplomatic.

I don't see any reason why our two camps can't get along. The minority doesn't like the new movie. Accept it please. We have as much a right to our opinions as everyone else does.

I am loving the non combat missions and am gratefull that more are coming soon. The devs listened to those of us who wanted diplomacy in the game and they're implementing it now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Legend
Fact
opinion
Standard color idk.
I admit that in a game I prefer explosions over scanning things. Games are interactive, I want to interact, not scan.

When it comes to movies, I can tolerate mindless explosions and overly aggressive characters, but not coming from a franchise that always asked more of people.

Abram's movie lacked a deep plot. The character's were your typical, shallow young adults, all of whom should have been medicated for being bipolar (except Scotty, I liked how he was portrayed). The actors were picked like most actors are now a days, with a greater focus on their sex appeal rather than their acting skills.

While kirk was always a bit of a hot headed character, Spock could of been portrayed in a much better manner. The interactions between Kirk and Spock were more typical of your average soap operaing you get from the OC or The Hills, rather than the deeper interactions you'd get from other interpretations.

Uhura was a tramp. Pure and simple.

Bones actually wasn't to far off, but I can't help but feel like his character was over done a bit.

And the action, yes, the meat and potatoes of the movie. Why can't anyone hold a camera still anymore? Take the camera away from the epileptic during the action scenes! IF you're gonna put that much effort into really high quality CGI and scenery, they let me enjoy it, keep it in focus!
What is the deal with all sci-fi shows using this new "organic" cinematography that the new BSG started using?
It was an armature practice when I was recording the local air show on a cam-quarter 10 years ago, why is it suddenly getting people awards? I must have at least 50 cassette that are filled with hours of Oscar winning photography based on the most recent trends in filmography. The camera man is like the eye of god. He can hold a perfect focus and perfect shot weather he's in a tornado or standing on glass. If it's artistic or ads dramatic effect he'll give it a little shake, but never to the point that you can't see the action.

Don't get me started on the lens flares.

If anything I described above makes a good movie, then either at 25 years old I'm already too crotchety and behind the times and should switch to ensure or maybe people's standards have just plummeted and directors like JJ Abrams understand this and are capitalizing on it because movies that are just okay are cheaper to make then awesome movies, especially when they're just as popular.