Lt. Commander
# 11 Cloak
05-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Ok i've read the threads and heard what everyone has said. some people have good points, the other just need tobe quite. I belive that the federation defient class ship needs tobe equiped with battle cloak. almost eveyone on this thread have one thing in common, that they want this game to stay close to the series. for the most part i agree. The federation should have at least one class of ship with a cloak. In DS9 the defient had a battle cloak. I love my ship and don't plan on getting rid of it when i hit the rank of admiral. i feel that ship would be an almost unstoppable force if it just had that little kick. i mean hey im not asking for a phase cloak like the one from Rikers old ship in STNG. even tho that would be great too. But thats all i have to say about it, is cryptic should look into giving the defient class a battle cloak. then you don't have to worry about a noob with no EXP giving you the old Hit & Run tact. only Captains will have access.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterbater View Post
Ok i've read the threads and heard what everyone has said. some people have good points, the other just need tobe quite...
The Defiant was only allowed to use the cloaking device in the Gamma Quadrant. The fact that it used the cloak in Cardassian space was a violation of the Treaty of Algeron. However, the fact that Sisko also murdered a Romulan Senator, I don't think it kept him up at nights.

I have one federation toon. I have no plans to ever play as a Klingon. The battle cloak is an annoyance at best. The Federation do not need a cloaking device (whether it is part of Star Trek lore or not). A well played Fed-Ball laughs at Klingon Cloaked Ships.

Leave the Klingons and Romulans with the cloak. Its what makes them unique, and that should not be removed.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Not to mention that the original Defiant was destroyed in the second battle of Chin'Toka along with its cloak!

It was the ONLY Federation ship to legally have it. The Defiants replacement was the U.S.S. San Paolo which was renamed Defiant but it did NOT have a cloak.

Just because ONE ship had it, lets not use that as an argument for it's class when other ships of it's class in the show did NOT have it!

So no, I can't see the Defiant class getting cloak on that basis, it wasnt the class..it was ONE ship..and that ship was destroyed in 2375 by the Breen.

I don't even like the idea of the Galaxy-X getting it, as that was the Enterprise-D in an alternate timeline, when in the real timeline the Enterprise-D was destroyed in 2371 after an attack by a renegade BOP commanded by the Duras sisters, caused extensive damage leading to a warp core breach. Only the saicer section remained and it crashed landed on Veridian III. The ship was not salvagable.
So in essence the Enterprise-D of "All Good Things" NEVER came to be.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naterbater View Post
Ok i've read the threads and heard what everyone has said. some people have good points, the other just need tobe quite.
How does “No” sound to you?
NO to feds getting a cloak and NO to being quiet..!!

I get it … I really do! You want to re-enact the best scenes from DS9 with your pew pew defiant, but that was one ship that was destroyed. Yeah it was replaced, but the cloak was not.

Putting canon aside.

The last thing I want to see is every fed taking a bloody defiant, just so they can cloak up and become an “unstoppable force” (lol). If you really want a cloak then roll a Klingon like everyone else and stop being lazy!

P.S.

the reason why you haven't seen many against posts in this thread is because its been done to death already in other similar/same threads.

Search is your fwend.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-18-2010, 01:20 PM
If they were concerned with rare finds like a Fed cloak, we'd have a few less Fed Klingons and Liberated Borg.

Rarely ever see them, right?

Give the Feds a cloak, who cares? I'd say make sure they gimp out the armor and shields as well to be balanced, but in the end it doesn't really matter. Good pilots win over cloaks, armor, or whatever any day.
Lt. Commander
# 16 Treaty of Algeron
05-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Treaty of Algeron

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Algeron

Once war broke out this treaty would no longer in place. So the Federation is free to have them on there ships at this time. There factions in the Federation that want them as well. If they show up in the game only STO knows that.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-18-2010, 04:49 PM
The Galaxy X is the only ship that will have a cloak, and Klingons can get them also so it's not Fed exclusive.
See the thread here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=155913&page=6

But to get one...you have to convince 5 people to buy the game, or buy it for them, and then each start paying for it. Once they've all payed for at least 30 days, then you get one.
Now...how many do you really think you're going to see anyway...?
Unless they change how you get it, I'm really not going to worry about it.
I may be lucky to ever see one actually being flown online.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Treaty of Algeron

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Algeron

Once war broke out this treaty would no longer in place. So the Federation is free to have them on there ships at this time. There factions in the Federation that want them as well. If they show up in the game only STO knows that.
1) A formal state of War presently even in STO timeline does not exist between the UFP and the Romulan Star Empire - so no the Federation is NOT free to have them on their ships at this time. The Treaty is STILL in effect.

2) Though while logical through linear speculation, then rest is just that...speculation. Even when War does break out with the Romulan Star Empire (which it will) the Federation will then still have to put the time and rescources to develop a stable working cloak. They don't have one or a design ready to just start throwing on ships en masse. So, with that said your talking years of development and trials before a design is ready to mass produce and put into action.

So again...no Fed cloak in the forseeable future.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-19-2010, 01:40 PM
the federation is the only player base of note left, a couple of hundred kdf players are not going to influence jack, if the feds want a cloak they will get one, along with playable gorn or romulans or whatever they ask for, cryptic will give them a b|0wj0b if they thought it would stop them from leaving for another month
Lt. Commander
# 20 Great POST
05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
the federation is the only player base of note left, a couple of hundred kdf players are not going to influence jack, if the feds want a cloak they will get one, along with playable gorn or romulans or whatever they ask for, cryptic will give them a b|0wj0b if they thought it would stop them from leaving for another month
Brovo brother