Lt. Commander
# 11
05-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Starfleet personnel are paid in electronic Federation Credits. They can use the Credits throughout the Federation. Think of the FC as the Euro and how it's used in Europe. The Federation Credits can also be converted into other currencies when necessary: gold-pressed latinum, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
There are some things a replicator cannot replicate.
According to Gene Roddenberry and the TNGTM, entire starships for one thing.

In DS9, I think Starfleet officers and crewmen did use gold-pressed latinum on the station (though this was usually at Quark's by my observations) and whatever Bajor was using before its admittance into the Federation. So it's obvious that Starfleet personnel, and by similar extention Federation citizens, may have access to certain forms of currency and exchange rates that they can use in international trading, but don't require in their domestic economy.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-20-2010, 09:01 AM
It just seems like the tangible value of those credits is hard to define. If you do not value "things", then does a captain make the same as an ensign? Does a desk officer make the same as a science officer on a flag ship?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
My crew gets a fair share of the proceeds from the away missions. And any prisoners they capture they get to ransom back.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
It just seems like the tangible value of those credits is hard to define. If you do not value "things", then does a captain make the same as an ensign? Does a desk officer make the same as a science officer on a flag ship?
As with the modern military I'm sure each Rank has a different pay scale and a different retirement scale. Within the Federation those Credits are probably only needed for luxury items, though, as apposed to day-to-day needs. I doubt anyone is paying for basic services such as electricity or public transportation. I would think that using a Transporter, on the other hand, is considered a luxury that would require payment.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Starfleet personnel are paid with warmth and fuzziness.

In a replicator based economy, the only things with value are 1) intellectual property (original replicator patterns), 2) the energy needed to do and make stuff, and 3) anything that can't be replicated.

The Federation itself has an economy- it trades raw and refined materials with its neighbors. I always just assumed that part of the government's intake from this trade went in to Starfleet's budget, and that's what DS9 personnel were blowing on drinks and Tongo. That's also why Beverly had that merchant bill the ship- it wasn't her money, it was Starfleet's. The discretionary budget goes to ships and facilities, not to people.