Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-18-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm fine with the Need/Greed/Pass thing and the few times I've been in a group that uses it, it didn't appear to be being abused. Biggest problem I've got with it is that in a busy encounter, such as a fleet action, there can be so many need or greed requests popping up on screen that I can't see what I'm trying to shoot at.

I usually leave my default to round robin though, everyone gets something then, can always trade it to the rest of the team after if you want.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-18-2010, 04:22 AM
and now, those who go "greed' will go "need", after reading this thread
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Its a good roleplay element. I'm in a Ferengi fleet. We always pick 'greed'. Its the one single Ferengi thing we can do.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
My primary concern with Need or Greed system is its intrusiveness. I am in a firefight, please stop bothering me with pop-ups.

I am not really concerned about whether someone abuses the system. I'd be annoyed, but not as much as by the UI.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Always NEED ... as in "I NEED stuff to sell!"

Welcome to mmo's.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain!

Based on the discussion, I'm going to opt out of pick-up-groups which use N/G/P. Round Robin has less potential for @ssoholic behavior, and I've run into far too much of that with pick-up-groups, here and in other MMORPGs.

I figure if people are okay with RR, odds are better that they're playing to play, not just to loot farm or to cause grief.

Thanks again, folks!

KOS
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Need/Greed is one reason I avoid raid-i-sodes. I've had entire (mulitple) raid-i-sodes where I get absolutely nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-20-2010, 12:41 PM
This is why your better flying with people you know or trust enough to use this mechanic.

Although if your going to get hissy about the mechanic then grow the **** up. It's not the fault of the mechanic or the game that you have a poor choice in team mates.

Additionally, Need or Greed is actually more convienient than round robin due to the simple fact if one person loots an item you ALL see what it is and ALL have a chance of getting it. Round Robin requires you to go fetch your items yourself which in a firefight can be tedious or when you dont see you have loot lying around.

Set the loot threshold to something like rare and its just like round robin ANYWAY. Sure, someone might be spamming need on THAT but rares dont drop THAT often and if you see someone doing it then just have the entire team hit need thus negating their advantage.

Need or Geed is common practice on the Raids so if your not going to join groups with it on... good luck finding raid teams.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBlueHero View Post
Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain!

Based on the discussion, I'm going to opt out of pick-up-groups which use N/G/P. Round Robin has less potential for @ssoholic behavior, and I've run into far too much of that with pick-up-groups, here and in other MMORPGs.

I figure if people are okay with RR, odds are better that they're playing to play, not just to loot farm or to cause grief.

Thanks again, folks!

KOS
I strongly suggest that you give it a chance and evaluate groups on the habits they actually demonstrate.

Besides, if you select 'greed' on something you actually want to use, you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Additionally, Need or Greed is actually more convienient than round robin due to the simple fact if one person loots an item you ALL see what it is and ALL have a chance of getting it.
This is the main reason why I have it set. Making loot sweeps in a cruiser even with the upgraded maneuverability that appeared in season 1 is still a *****.