Lt. Commander
# 1 Vic Fontaine?
05-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Am I really the only one who absolutely hated him?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
In this topic, so far... yes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-20-2010, 08:17 PM
He had his moments where he did a good job as far as his part in DS9 universe (Its only a Paper Moon), however I didnt hate him, but I found very little use for him, or at least, many of the writers didnt not incorporate him well enough into DS9 universe. TO me, he just seemed like a few minute time waster with his song interludes when it could have been used for plot/character development.

Im still confused in the last "mirror universe" episode where it had Vic outside teh holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say i hated him, but i was not overly interested in the episodes with him. With the exception of Nog's recovery episode.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadscythe
I wouldn't go so far as to say i hated him, but i was not overly interested in the episodes with him. With the exception of Nog's recovery episode.
Pretty much that. This episode was great, and in a long tradition of other characters escaping reality a bit too much (Riker, LaForge, Barcley, later Seven). But I found it a bit out of place that saving his club required the entire ops crew - while they were in the middle of a war.

I think the mirror Vic was a real human, though it didn't make much sense since he already had a different personality like everyone else on mirror-side. Going with that, everyone except him would have been a hologram.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
I liked Vic Fontaine. I think James Darren is a talented actor and singer. I think he was good and Star Trek was right up his alley in the holosuite context. He was a good addition to the cast. If you disagree, that's fine. To each their own.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-20-2010, 09:50 PM
wait till Erica finds out that there's a Vic Fontaine assigned to every starfleet vessel in STO....

ECH FTW!
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkAthena View Post
He had his moments where he did a good job as far as his part in DS9 universe (Its only a Paper Moon), however I didnt hate him, but I found very little use for him, or at least, many of the writers didnt not incorporate him well enough into DS9 universe. TO me, he just seemed like a few minute time waster with his song interludes when it could have been used for plot/character development.

Im still confused in the last "mirror universe" episode where it had Vic outside teh holodeck.
He was used as a plot device to advance main characters development. How do you not see that? Odo's romance with Kira, Nog's coping with being wounded and losing his leg.

As for the MU appearance, I think it indicates that Vic Fontaine in the Prime Universe is infact a real person who perhaps performs Frank Sinatra songs as an entertainer and the Hologram programmer, Felix, used that real person as a base for this program that is set in 1960's Las Vegas.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I thought he was cool to let Nog contemplate his life when he lost his feet. However, I felt pity for him in the "The needs of the many" novel. I hope he is eventually freed from that holosuite via mobile holoemitter.