Lt. Commander
# 21
05-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-94699
It is? Why they set the game 30 years post Nemesis if that would be the case!
Because that isn't the case. Having every ship available is how it represents all of Star Trek imo. Seperating them like this would not be right since it would limit the ships you could use for one thing and maybe you wouldn't want to use those all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
Agree. I would also add that the game needs this Negh'var. It could also become the flagship of a new faction.
it could be the mirror universe klingon faction, instead of being a warrior race, they could be like super cute and cuddly (but still equally deadly) and bring love and tribbles across the galaxy
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Personally, I'm one of those that say the older ships need to stay decomissioned (I mean, how many Connies did you see running around in TNG, Voy, or DS9?). That being said, the Excelsior was shown a few times in the 24th Century, so I think that could be the exception. They could even make it the refit version that put it on par with the Defiant, I wouldn't mind that either.

Regardless, the solution to the problem is fairly simple, because the trek universe gives us an awesome tool that alot of series don't have. The Holodeck. For people wanting to fly the older ships, Cryptic could make missions, call them holodeck missions, and let them play from whatever bygone era they want. It would be easy for Cryptic to implement (like the mission where you have to pick which captain to support) and they could even make classic missions for people to play through (such as stopping Kang from disrupting the peace accords or being captain of the Enterprise-C and securing friendship with the Klingons). Everyone could participate in whatever era they like. It's not an STF, so it shouldn't take too long to make and add's content quick and easy. It's a win-win scenario for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 25 Older ships and holodeck
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnighthawk View Post
Personally, I'm one of those that say the older ships need to stay decomissioned (I mean, how many Connies did you see running around in TNG, Voy, or DS9?). That being said, the Excelsior was shown a few times in the 24th Century, so I think that could be the exception. They could even make it the refit version that put it on par with the Defiant, I wouldn't mind that either.

Regardless, the solution to the problem is fairly simple, because the trek universe gives us an awesome tool that alot of series don't have. The Holodeck. For people wanting to fly the older ships, Cryptic could make missions, call them holodeck missions, and let them play from whatever bygone era they want. It would be easy for Cryptic to implement (like the mission where you have to pick which captain to support) and they could even make classic missions for people to play through (such as stopping Kang from disrupting the peace accords or being captain of the Enterprise-C and securing friendship with the Klingons). Everyone could participate in whatever era they like. It's not an STF, so it shouldn't take too long to make and add's content quick and easy. It's a win-win scenario for everyone.
I quiet like this idea
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Personally I have zero issue with older ships being in service. There can be many reasons for this, but the simplest is that its a time of war and they need more ships. It may be simply easier to upgrade an older ship than build one new. And why they let completely green ensigns become captains of them. Cheap and ultimately expendable.

I seem to recall a certain other show that took the remains of an earth battleship and turned it into a space worthy vessel in a time of need...
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Is this debate ever going to end?
Both sides have valid points, but i think of it this way...

We can say the SF engineers could build a NX to 25th century standards and i believe it. It would be more like taking the blueprints from it and building new NX's then re-commissioning old mothballs. Its an old well tested design. Good for missions that doesn't require a true 'modern starship'. no offense NX fans.

But then you could argue that SF of the 25th century has there own designs for starships like this and can just build more Nova class ships instead. I see no reason why an NX styled ship can't be in use now.

If the United states navy took the blueprints for the USS Maine and worked them with modern technology/ armor / weapons. You would still have a ship that looks 99% like the Maine, but could easily be used today, maybe not as a front line ship, but to patrol the east african coast for pirates? that would work. it would most likely be cheaper to use these ships then state of the art missile cruisers verse guys in speed boats with Ak-47's. NX's could chase Orion around easy. Make quick raids on enemy posts, patrol asteroids. Things where a larger ship or a more advanced one isn't really needed.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
This is one of the reasons why determining what is canon is problematic.

We didn't see Constitution class vessels running around because we were seeing Star Trek through a specific window with inferred holistic assumptions.

Not seeing something doesn't mean it didn't/can't exist.

Yes, it makes sense to state these were decommissioned or a refit, etc., at the same time, equally sensible notions can be inferred that in war, every resource available should be used.

Also, in context to the game, we have allot of Admirals, soon to be Vice-Admiral epeen something or other.

Why not have the Admiral's prerogatives? We will be seeing a Galaxy-X, the soon to be prize target of PvP, sooner than later. That we only saw one 3-nacelle Galaxy does not preclude the existence of other 3-nacelle craft.

Why not reclassify a Constitution Refit in the 25th Century from a cruiser to a science vessel? Change its role.

Infinite possibilities.
I like to think that you don't see them because they no longer exist. It'd be like a country using the old wooden frigates of the 1700's in their navies. It just doesn't happen because aside from 1 to 2 museum models, they no longer exist. The problem is that they have already allowed the Connies in game (I have the pre-order one btw ), so it's not a question of putting them in game now, but how to do it in a manner that makes sense. To me, the Excelsior would be the only notable exception and it could be a T4 ship due to it's refit. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The ony way to put the older ships in that would make sense is to make use of the Holodeck. I don't know why Cryptic hasn't done more with this possibility. They could add in iconic ships and missions tailored after famous episodes, People could identify those missions as actual Trek story that happened, which makes the game feel more like Star Trek, and it adds content at the same time. Aside from making the older ship models, it wouldn't take Cryptic much to add the new missions. They could even make it so you can level from the "holomissions" so people who want to level in the past can do so (would take them more work to implement). You can have your older ships, I can live in the 25th Century where everything is the latest and greatest and everyone wins :p
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Expired comment