Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 111
05-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
It's just my opinion but I believe that no matter what the reward is someone will cry about it. They could'va made the reward let's say Orion slave girl outfits and people would still complain that they want it
I tend to agree, however making it the MU was hard to top in terms of stupidity. I do not mean that as negatively as it might sound, since I like the game and how cryptic is handling it for the most part. The positives outweigh the negatives. The MU is such an important iconic part of Star Trek that making them available for another game was just plain stupid. They would have sold many, many, many more STO lifetime subs had it been hooked to that. Had they hooked the MU to buying 3 different collectors editions and a yearly or lifetime STO sub it would have been great incentive as well. I would most likely have done either of those deals and .

By making it a requirement to pay for another game, they alienated many customers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 112
05-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefra View Post

By making it a requirement to pay for another game, they alienated many customers.
I don't think that this deal kept anybody from playing STO. There are many deals I don't agree with. I think the Galaxy X should have been a C-store item, but I am not going to complain about it. It is their decision.

Games have been cross promoting for a long time now. You see it all the time on X-box. Here is an example of one across consoles:

Buy Dragon Age and get Dragon Armor for your character on Mass Effect.

This is one of THOUSANDS of examples out there in the marketplace. It is a tactic that works, otherwise it would not be done.

Nuff said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 113
05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
I don't think that this deal kept anybody from playing STO. There are many deals I don't agree with. I think the Galaxy X should have been a C-store item, but I am not going to complain about it. It is their decision.

Games have been cross promoting for a long time now. You see it all the time on X-box. Here is an example of one across consoles:

Buy Dragon Age and get Dragon Armor for your character on Mass Effect.

This is one of THOUSANDS of examples out there in the marketplace. It is a tactic that works, otherwise it would not be done.

Nuff said.
I said "alienate", not "kept from playing"

Nothing wrong with cross promoting if it is done correctly. The MU are a part of the Star Trek mythology, the dragon armor is not a part of Mass Effect mythology. Bioware got it right, Cryptic did not. If Cryptic had done what Bioware did they you would have unique CO uniforms to wear to show your investment in another Cryptic game in STO. In this case your argument is simply invalid.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 114
05-22-2010, 02:17 PM
i has the ultimate bomb shell nearly ready for this arguement
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 115
05-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Why have you guys not called/emailed billing yet?

According to SEVERAL people all you have to do is contact billing, and everything will be fixed.

And it doesn't even cost C-Points! Or Money!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 116
05-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefra View Post
I said "alienate", not "kept from playing"

Nothing wrong with cross promoting if it is done correctly. The MU are a part of the Star Trek mythology, the dragon armor is not a part of Mass Effect mythology. Bioware got it right, Cryptic did not. If Cryptic had done what Bioware did they you would have unique CO uniforms to wear to show your investment in another Cryptic game in STO. In this case your argument is simply invalid.
No, this is a perfect example. This is an item that comes from ordering another game that is made to go into a different game. It fits even more so, because it is a clothing type.

Buy game "A", recieve clothing item for unrelated game "B" made by the same company

Let's compare:

Buy Lifetime preorder sub to Champions Online, receive Mirror Universe Uniform to wear in Star Trek Online
Company for both games: Cryptic

Buy Special edition of Dragon Age, receive Dragon space cosmetic armor for Mass Effect 2
Company for both games: Bioware

How is this different again? A cosmetic difference.. direction from one game to another. It is minor at best.

But if that won't satisfy you, I am sure we can dredge up hundreds of other gaming cross promotions until you find one that you are completely satisfied with.

The bottom line is this...

It has been done before.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 117
05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
...Irrelevant conclusion...

A cosmetic difference.. direction from one game to another. It is minor at best.

...more Irrelevant conclusion...
The funny thing is that you are right. The Mass Effect - Dragon Age promotion is the perfect example (of the many possible examples) because it clearly supports my argument that the direction, in this case, is very important. It is in fact, the entire cause of the matter. No one would have made a single post if it were not.

Cryptic did nothing wrong in choosing to promote CO with a STO bonus, as many other companies have done before them. It is the direction from one game to another that Cryptic dropped the ball on and alienated many customers.

Then again a CO themed STO Uniform would not have gotten you to shell out $200+ dollars for a CO LTS. Be honest now...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 118
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefra View Post

Then again a CO themed STO Uniform would not have gotten you to shell out $200+ dollars for a CO LTS. Be honest now...
Honestly I bought a Champs LT for a Champs LT, personally. Regardless, the MU uniform means that I bought a Champs LT and I play STO. That loses all meaning if anyone and their mother can just buy it from the Cstore for a few dollars.

I get that everyone loves the look, midriff is sexy. But why don't you guys go after the Enterprise MU uniforms instead, and let the Champs lifers have that unique identifier, whether you like it or not?

I'm all for opening up Champs LTs again and offering the MU with it. But leave it as something special, not something that everyone will have in a matter of weeks if they put it in the Cstore. They can open up who has access to them a little, but they should keep it representative of the fact that the people who have it have invested into Champions.

Mirror Universe outfits are from a whole other universe! And that universe isn't the universe we are playing along with in STO. Its very fitting that they come from Champs in that sense.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 119
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefra View Post
Then again a CO themed STO Uniform would not have gotten you to shell out $200+ dollars for a CO LTS. Be honest now...
I shelled out the money because I play CO. I have 7 level 40 characters and am raising another right now (Cyborg swordsman). The uniform is a nice bonus. Once again, cross promotion has been done again and again.

No matter what my motives for buying the subscription to CO, they were still MY motives and I still spent my money. No matter if you feel my spending was justified in your eyes or not.

It does not matter to me or anybody else.

I am sure I could list tons of examples, if I spent the time looking them up. But I am also sure that you would shoot down every one of them as invalid, just to make your point.

This is a cross promotion. Game companies do it. It does not matter if you like how they do it.

So stop lawyering up on every detail and looking for an exact replica of this situation, because I doubt in all of gaming there are 2 deals exactly alike. This is just how the industry works.

It is a common practice.

And that is a fact.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 120
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Victory for all at last! Long Live the Empire!
This thread can now be closed!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 AM.