Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
05-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I find this extremely irksome, and it goes to show that if you don't like the requirements to get an in game item simply complain and eventually you'll get it. Don't bother trying to recruit people for the Galaxy, just complain to customer service and viola! You'll just be handed it.

I can't even say I'm a surprised by this. The minute they decided to keep the LTS option open indefinitely people were bound to complain about not getting the same benefits those that preordered did. This wouldn’t have happened if they had kept the LTS option limited time.

As a customer, this says two things to me. First, you can't trust words like "exclusive" or "unique". They are nothing more than adjectives that mean nothing. Secondly, when Cryptic offers something through a promotion, don't buy it. Don't participate. Complain on the forums, complain to CS, complain to anyone that will listen and they'll give it to you.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I don't care if other people have Borg captains. What I care about is when I bought my LTS, it was with the understanding that it was for a limited time and once the offer expired it was over. Little did I know.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andeolus View Post
What I care about is when I bought my LTS, it was with the understanding that it was for a limited time and once the offer expired it was over. Little did I know.
Every advertisement and/or sale is always touted as being limited time for the sole purpose of creating a sense of urgency -- so that you will rush out and spend your money. The verbiage does not say they will never have another ad or sale in future or that the future ad or sale will not be exactly the same.

I really cannot see how you didn't know, real world advertising and all.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
Every advertisement and/or sale is always touted as being limited time for the sole purpose of creating a sense of urgency -- so that you will rush out and spend your money. The verbiage does not say they will never have another ad or sale in future or that the future ad or sale will not be exactly the same.

I really cannot see how you didn't know, real world advertising and all.
Really? You don't find this the least bit disconcerting? Here, let me break it down for you so maybe you can understand the difference between what you're suggesting and what actually happened.

You're suggesting that Cryptic is like a regular store. One week they advertise a sale on Widgets. This sale is for a limited time, and sure do want that Widget so I go down and buy it during the time frame provided. Three months later Widgets go on sale again. Do I complain? Of course not. Of course an item is going to go on sale again even if the first time it was mentioned as a limited time.

Now, here's an actual real world analogy of what actually happened. Last year at SDCC, Mattel offered a limited edition set of Wonder Twin action figures that came with a Gleek figure as well. After the show, you would be able to order the Wonder Twins from Mattel's site, but Gleek was exclusive to SDCC. People weren't happy about that for various reasons such as not being able to make it San Diego, but those were the terms. You wanted a Gleek, you went to SDCC (or ebay, but that's an entirely different matter). Period.

Mattel didn't back track and suddenly give Gleek to people who bought the twins from their site after the show. I don't think Cryptic should play fast and loose with "exclusive" and its meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Sounds like all policies are now taking on the same wet-ricepaper quality as the doomed CO micro-expansion. I suppose I expected this much, once a precedent is set, its impossible to prevent a snowball of similar changes being forced by the same tactic. While the CO situation was a needed change, anything else is up for grabs with enough posts demanding it, even if its less than a dozen individuals making them.

I'm not judging, by any means - this is damage control. Some dozen or so people have driven their arguments through continual posts as to take over the focus of the forums here and elsewhere. While it may not be an "official" stance yet, the direction is clear: The only reward one can get from Cryptic is "early access" to something, as all exclusivity/uniqueness of a reward has an expiration on it, and will find its way to the general population in order of most complained about.

Now its time to simply step back and decide what you can wait for and what you want now.

Personally, nothing is worth working for just to get early, but thats all dependent on how people value themselves and their time.

I'm not surprised, not upset. Disappointed, sure, and taking a break from the game and the forums for a bit. Frankly, its more fun to just play anyway. Simply need to keep a little distance from it and not get worked up over the complete loss of value to my rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
Amazon still has it regardless of them saying they don't. Go here: http://startrekonline.com/retail and click "Details" and tell me what it says. It says you get a Borg Bridge Officer. If you click "Buy" and purchase directly from Amazon you will get the Borg Bridge Officer. If for some reason you don't, contact Cryptic Billing Support and they will fix it.

The same goes for all the retailers listed on that page, if you order and don't get the stated reward, contact billing support.

For the record, I ordered a 2nd copy of the game from Amazon on April 29, 2010. The Borg Bridge Officer offer/logo was on the box's and manual's cover art and applying the retail code to my existing account unlocked the Borg BO without issue.

Thsnk you, that clears my confusion, and I;m sorry, don't be made at him, I derailed the topic slightly with a side question in passing.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
Alright, if you are going to say I am using "false logic" you are going to need to show how it is false. Other than hearsay of "other methods to get the Captain". Really? Other methods? Name ONE.

You see, my posts, they have proof behind them. Did you read the linked threads?

Guess it only applies to others...oh and others with proof not hearsay!

I want to know WHY, and how do I get my share?
Whoa, take it easy there, Matlock. This isn't a courtroom so save the paralegal stuff for your law club buddies and go dissect someone else's post. I was simply presenting an idea. I'm not privy to the facts and neither are you; only Cryptic is and it's up to them if they want to divulge them. This is what we know:

1.) The Liberated Borg Captain is for pre-order Lifetime customers (EDIT: it does not say "only")
2. ) Our Support Team only grants items to players when they should have received the item, but did not (generally due to some technical issue)
3.) We care very much about our players. We care about individuals, but we also care about being fair to our player base as a whole.
4.) The OP earned the unlock through legitimate means.

I did read your posts and the associated links and saw nothing that disproves the four statements above.

Hope you had fun at "the Disneyland"

Lt. Commander
# 27
05-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Really? You don't find this the least bit disconcerting?
Not one bit. I don't pay any attention to advertising other than ensuring that I get the sale price and/or promoted perks when I buy something that just happens to be on sale and/or promoted.

All advertising/marketing is pure BS and I truly wish the rest of the world would see it for what it is and not be swayed/duped/hoodwinked by the hype. Then the crap would stop.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Now, here's an actual real world analogy of what actually happened. Last year at SDCC, Mattel offered a limited edition set of Wonder Twin action figures that came with a Gleek figure as well. After the show, you would be able to order the Wonder Twins from Mattel's site, but Gleek was exclusive to SDCC. People weren't happy about that for various reasons such as not being able to make it San Diego, but those were the terms. You wanted a Gleek, you went to SDCC (or ebay, but that's an entirely different matter). Period.

Mattel didn't back track and suddenly give Gleek to people who bought the twins from their site after the show. I don't think Cryptic should play fast and loose with "exclusive" and its meaning.
Actually, an LTS is a subscription to a service. There is no physical product that can be sold or traded. Everything in the game is owned by Cryptic and perks are really just status symbols.

Lt. Commander
# 29
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I see we have no answers yet.

I am going to take this to mean that the Borg Captain is up for grabs, as long as you have a LT sub.

As for the logically fallacious arguments, and ad-hominem attacks meh...

The point is, Cryptic is handing these out. To people that did not order the Lifetime sub on the 2nd of Feb. Keep grasping at those straws, maybe you will find something of substance. I doubt it.

Fact of the matter, the two examples I give (there are more) show that this is going on. WHY is this going on, and what other stuff can we get by "just calling billing".

Why did the mods jump all over that other thread, why have they ignored this one?
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Run a google search for "Liberated Borg Human"

I came across this thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=89015&page=55

Take note of post # 583
Quote:
I seem to be having the same problem, updated to the lifetime subscription tonight...and don't seem to have the two extra character slots, nor do I have the Liberated Borg creation option. Here's to hoping that this issue is resolved soon.
Posted on, this is important: [b]02-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Why is this important?

The Borg Captain was only offered until February 1st, as a PRE ORDER exclusive/bonus/whatever.

Guess what that poster got?
http://www.startrekonline.com/charac...acters/Devenus

There is another one, and there are plenty more where that came from.

Why are you still giving out Borg Captains?

If these guys have "rooked" you, it was really easy to find them. I mean GOOGLE search. If you want I can do this for free, I will volunteer my time finding these folks.

OR

This is just smoke and mirrors. And you just need to "contact billing" + be a LT member to get the Borg Captain. Without a gold name, how do we find out?

I can call billing tomorrow, ask them what is up...Better yet I will have my (insert other person) do it, I might be "well known" by now...
Closed Thread