Lt. Commander
# 21
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeedgedsword View Post
Raso I too have been looking forward to (and pushing for) Caitians ever since I got into CB last year, however I have to admit I'm really beginning to wonder what's going on myself. How many times can they say someone "made a mistake" or "misquoted" something about them and push them off? You can only cry wolf so many times Cryptic and your at your limit with the Caitians.

I hurts me to have to say this but at this point if it isn't Paramount causing delays/redo's I'm left with no choice but to believe this is a red herring that their dangling in front of people in order to squeeze another month or two's worth of subscriptions out of some people. Shades of SOE all over again. I gotta say in retrospect I'm very sorry I bought the lifetime sub because it makes it somewhat difficult to vote with your wallet once they know they've got you and you can't leave. Live and learn I guess
I've been waiting to play a Caitian since it was first announced myself. Every time I see it pushed back I want to cry as I feel that Cryptic doesn't care. Look how they're handling the Klingons. To a lot of us, it seems that they don't care about an entire faction. It wouldn't take much to assume that they decided to drop Caitians altogether. I would love to be proven wrong on both accounts (promises of a July Klink update are just that...promises), but things are looking grim in the world of STO.

Just to add, I am not a furry and I am certain that most of the Caitian fans are not, either. The latest Engineering Report erupted in name calling, and I hate seeing people lump others into a single group.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTestPilot
Whoa, Superchum was just messing with you...thus his liberal use of winky smileys at the end of his post.
Since Catians are still coming ... and since I am a fan of Pakleds and have absolutely NO ROOM to criticize others liking obscure Trek races ... Crash here has the right of it.

The multiple smileys above this statement mean I am smiling. A genuine smile that really I'm ok with this entire topic and was only having some fun pulling the leg of the OP (who by the time I posted already knew they were still coming just being postponed).
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Welll I apologize, superchum, for jumping to conclusions. Aside from the fact that it's been about 80 degrees for the bast few days, I've been on edge because the only 2 c-store items. I've been looking forward to have been pushed back so many times.

All of the set backs have me kinda pessimistic about it and I've treating any news I can get regarding them like they were the most importing (game related) news bits I around.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I was told that Caitians were on Tribble for a little while but can not confirm. They were said to look absolutely horrible and completely deviated from canon. If you even consider the animated series canon. They were like a Werewolf version of felines. Very unfortunate if true and shows a real lack of interest of doing them right. However, there is nothing on Tribble now for Caitians so maybe they realized the amount of Hate they were going to get from all sides.

Personally, I don't understand what is so hard in designing them. The animated version of M'ress provides a good model for females. Admittedly, there are no male models to go off of unless you consider the cameos in the movies Caitians. I think they should go off a leonine-like appearance with the option of mane like hair or no hair at all. . Really not that hard a concept. Perhaps hard to code and work into the chargen but not hard to think how they should look. They definitely should not look like giant hairless wercats. That is more Kzin than Caitian. Sigh. I worry now.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-28-2010, 12:57 AM
I have cryptic points put aside for this.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
Welll I apologize, superchum, for jumping to conclusions. Aside from the fact that it's been about 80 degrees for the bast few days, I've been on edge because the only 2 c-store items. I've been looking forward to have been pushed back so many times.
It's cool. I know how you feel. They pushed Pakleds back a bit too. And I was dying for them. And it's been hot here as well and that brings out the frustration just a tad more.

If questioned seriously about this topic ... I'd say I hope they get them done as good, and quickly as possible. New Trek races are part of the fun. And I hope people get to play the ones they like. It's one of the bright spots about the game. Flying around in a ship with my Pakled crew is quite entertaining.

I am hoping others get to have that kind of fun with their favorite race too.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-29-2010, 01:03 AM
I have been pushing for them since open beta and they keep getting pushed back. Not long ago Matt, the guy who was designing them, said he'd post some screen shots of them and has yet to do so. There has also been no talk of them on Cryptic's part in 2 weeks.

Probably what has happened is Cryptic put Matt of some other project (again) and isn't going to tell us they will be delayed again. Cryptic also hasn't put out a new date for them to be released, just 1.2 or 1.3. That of course can change too as I'm sure it will (being pushed back again). Caitians will either be put out near the end of a financial quarter to boost sales and make STO look more profitable, or they won't be added at all and just be used as a bait tactic to keep people subbing waiting on them.

At this point I have given up hope they will be introduced. I don't plan on playing this game much longer nor supporting Cryptic in any way henceforth. There is only so many times that excuses can be thrown around until someone just grows weary of the delays. I've hit that point. Perhaps Cryptic will prove me wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-29-2010, 05:36 AM
At this point I'd like to see some screen shots to reassure myself they are making Caitians look at least something close to the species design in the animated series and not some freaking snarling werebeast thing with oversized sabertooth fangs. I wish the people who said they were on Tribble briefly had taken a screen shot so I could see how messed up they were and also to confirm it was true. This species should have a easy concept since M'ress provided a good concept female model. The males just need to be designed similarly with leonine and domestic features and with the option to have long mane-like hair or none at all. That way the player can decide to make the Caitian look like the animated series style version or that of the cameos seen in the movie. Maybe give a few ear, color, and fur pattern options.

I believe Caitians are a easy concept to draw and they might be nuking this although I realize that coding such as for animated tails and fur may be difficult and require extra time. However, the animated lion tail in Champions was very close to what a Caitian tail would look like so much of the time is likely being spent on fur texture and making sure the parts don't clip with the uniforms real bad. Just my guess. If the rumors I'm hearing are true then their initial design was more of a half-breed Caitian/Kzin in appearance. Unsure why they decided to take this route if it is true since it deviates from canon and that is even if you consider the animation canon which some don't. Maybe they were trying to placate the Kzinti fans the same time as Caitian fans. STO does not need the feline version of werewolves in the game especially since Caitian culture is not violent. I know they read these forums so I would hope that they have watched the animated series and done a search for Caitian designs on Google and Deviant Art. The biography of Lt M'ress should also be read. The models already exist for a proper Caitian and they don't need to be redesigned to look like something they are not. It seems that the subscibers are getting little say in this and of course those with lifetime subsciptions get no say if you know what I mean.

If you dislike Caitians or could care less about them then the product of how Caitians are done are of some importance to you. The reason is that if they turn out a very poor product it will demonstrate how future races such as Romulans, Tholians, and others might turn out when they release them. Although I doubt it would be as hard to create a Romulan template compared to Caitian I would hope they aren't going to just slap them together as a Vulcan in a new Uniform just so they can milk you quickly in the C-Store. All the races need to be done right. I'm willing to wait longer for the end product but would hope none of this is a tactic for stringing people along who are waiting on subscription and I would hope that the wait is worth it because the finish product of any race released will be the tell tale sign of honesty or subterfuge.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Someone asked for screen shots?

Caitian test server attempt 1
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Heh, well hopefully they didn't look -that- bad.