Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
05-23-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGODMICHAEL
Did you not watch the movie? Everything was actually explained in the movie... The only reason you didn't hear about your "black hole" byproduct issue is because it didn't matter in the movie... But seriously, did you see the movie?
So, "it didn't come up again" is your answer to my questioning it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Why should it? The supernova was far away. Normally it would have taken years or decades for the supernova blast to reach Romulus. A black hole a few light years away is just like a big star that doesn't glow in the night. Not really harmful. Something manipulated the nova so it could basically "warp" its shockwave. Which only makes sense in the world of Startrek science fiction, of course. But we don't see Warp as a plot hole.


He saved an entire world populated with billions of people through his decisions.
- He connected the dots between Uhuras communication reports, his fathers death and the description of the scenario around Vulcan.
- He then managed to convince his superiors to be more careful on the approach, which made them avoid a disaster.
- He attempted to rescue Vulcan in a dangerous mission. He failed, but he made no wrong decisions at that point.
- He took command of the Enterprise and made the right decision to follow the alien ship to Earth and avert Earth's destruction. Showing better decision-making skills than a well-respected officer of higher rank.
- He did so by working with his crew men and get the best performance out of them.
- He saved his commanding officer.
- He destroyed a ship of superior firepower and defenses.

He proved that he was a capable Captain. He proved that he could think on his feet and make the right decisions. He showed that he can command people, keeping his cool even under high pressure. Without his decisions, the entire "mission" would have failed several times at at least two key points (Approac to Vulcan, following the Nerada to Earth). What should they do? Promote him to Lieutenant and work at an OPS console for a few years, where he can't really use his command skills, and might be capable of better decisions than his superiors?
If the supernova was far out enough that the black hole would not have affect Romulus, why did the Romulan population get wiped out? Wouldn't they have had enough time to evacuate the planet?

Also, alot of that happened after Pike appointed him as XO for the Enterprise. If some third year naval cadet could out think and out command seasoned officers, then they shouldn't have been in charge anyways. Same thing when Pike tossed out the comm guy and put Uhura in his place. With Uhura manning the comm, a cadet as XO, another cadet heading up medical and a barely wet behind the ear guy driving the ship, it's a wonder the Enterprise didn't just run into a asteroid or bounce too close to a star.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
05-23-2010, 05:12 AM
[quote=Adrasil]
If the supernova was far out enough that the black hole would not have affect Romulus, why did the Romulan population get wiped out? Wouldn't they have had enough time to evacuate the planet?
[quote]
Normally, the "shockwave" or radiation from a supernova travels at the speed of light. It would take a few years for most novas radiaion to reach any other star system. But something was different about this supernova. Something allowed the shock wave to exceed the speed of light. This allowed it to hit Romulans a lot earlier than expected.

This something of course is pure Startrek pseudo-science, involving subspace and all that...


Quote:
Also, alot of that happened after Pike appointed him as XO for the Enterprise. If some third year naval cadet could out think and out command seasoned officers, then they shouldn't have been in charge anyways.
And as a matter of fact, the guy in command was removed because he was deemed unqualified according to Starfleet regulations. He was emotionally compromised, remember? Unlike most officers in his place, though, did he see that. Of course, after that, he did still proved his competence.

Quote:
Same thing when Pike tossed out the comm guy and put Uhura in his place. With Uhura manning the comm, a cadet as XO, another cadet heading up medical and a barely wet behind the ear guy driving the ship, it's a wonder the Enterprise didn't just run into a asteroid or bounce too close to a star.
I am not sure it's such a big wonder. After all, these guys aren't at Starfleet Academy on accident. Or were selected for the Enterprise. Uhura did notice to Spock that the only reason she wasn't on the Enterprise originally was because Spock feared of being accused of favoritism.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
05-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am not sure it's such a big wonder. After all, these guys aren't at Starfleet Academy on accident. Or were selected for the Enterprise. Uhura did notice to Spock that the only reason she wasn't on the Enterprise originally was because Spock feared of being accused of favoritism.
Ok, lets say this whole North/South Korea thing blows up on the world. Cadets at the US Naval Academy get pressed into service before they can graduate. The commanding officer of a destroyer/frigate/aircraft carrier sees a cadet walking around and thinks, "hey, that's Admiral Such and Such's kid!". The on a whim due to a gut feeling, makes him the XO of the ship. Do you think that would fly with Pentagon?

Quote:
Normally, the "shockwave" or radiation from a supernova travels at the speed of light. It would take a few years for most novas radiaion to reach any other star system. But something was different about this supernova. Something allowed the shock wave to exceed the speed of light. This allowed it to hit Romulans a lot earlier than expected.

This something of course is pure Startrek pseudo-science, involving subspace and all that...
The shock wave from a supernova only travels at about 10% the speed of light according to Wikipedia.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
05-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Why dont we see TOS gear or gear from the new movie??
BECAUSE IT WOULD BE OVER 100 YEARS OUT OF DATE.
They pressed the constitution and several ships in between it and present because they were solid dependable designs that could be retrofitted with modern equipment. Any gear from that time would be like pressing civil war hand loaded guns into service to use in Afghanistan. They might be usable and would deffinatly kill just fine but they cant compare with modern body armor and automatic weapons. To modify gear from that era would require a complete rebuild to stand up to personal shields and armor and would no longer be the same weapon.

That aside it would be a nice skin affect to go along with the Tos uniforms but it would be strictly a costume option not actual gear.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
05-29-2010, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't mind some TOS hand phasers, they'd compliment my TOS uniforms and TOS constitution with blue TOS phaser banks quite well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
05-31-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrasil
Ok, lets say this whole North/South Korea thing blows up on the world. Cadets at the US Naval Academy get pressed into service before they can graduate. The commanding officer of a destroyer/frigate/aircraft carrier sees a cadet walking around and thinks, "hey, that's Admiral Such and Such's kid!". The on a whim due to a gut feeling, makes him the XO of the ship. Do you think that would fly with Pentagon?
No idea what flies with the Pentagon.

But might the Pentagon promote some cadet to Captain if he is the guy to locate the Korean nukes and launches an attack with a few other cadets that succeeds in destroying them before they can be used to kill hundreds of thousands innocents?

Wouldn't discount the possibility.

Quote:
The shock wave from a supernova only travels at about 10% the speed of light according to Wikipedia.
It doesn't really matter what the normal speed would be. The important point is that it was "faster" than it should be. Considerably enough to turn "plenty of warning time" to "oops, where's Romolus?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
05-31-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No idea what flies with the Pentagon.

But might the Pentagon promote some cadet to Captain if he is the guy to locate the Korean nukes and launches an attack with a few other cadets that succeeds in destroying them before they can be used to kill hundreds of thousands innocents?

Wouldn't discount the possibility.
No, he'd get a commendation, perhaps a medal or three and maybe a promotion of a rank or two (if he's in the army. Or possibly air force, they give out stripes for everything in the air force).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM.