Lt. Commander
# 1 Who writes this junk?
06-01-2010, 08:52 AM
So I came across a mission where-in I was tasked to secure safe passage for an unknown alien race (Seriously the mission text was blank for the race name) to a planet so they could honour there gods or some such, but there was already a Nausican presence there, in the manner of shrines, I was promptly ordered to eliminate the Nausicans. Seriously? Starfleet has no quarms about me destroying one species religion for another?

So I move on, an asteroid has hit this planet, and Starfleet decides to send me down there to check for "valuable materials" They don't tell me what exactly, but thats not important, regardless I get there and conviniently so do the Orions, I am then ordered to eliminate all resistance to secure some rocks... seriously? Rocks > Life in the future or something?

A Starfleet probe has broken up in orbit above this planet, the planet is colonized by a pre-warp race, contact should under no circumstances be made with the population, we must send an away team down to the surface to find the probe... Urm what? Since when did Starfleet routinly probe pre-warp civilizations anyway?

The habitants of this research station contracted a deadly virus, beam down there and see whats going on? Urm how about... No.

Anyway the point (aside from killing time before going home) being, none of the game makes any sense, its ridled with inconsistencies, plot loop holes, lack of common sense and creativity that would make a primary school attendee cry. And so. Who writes this junk? And are they really the best you can do? Next time the office mail clerk tells you he has an idea for a story, tell him to leave it to the proffesionals. You do have proffesional writers don't you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Thank you for the laughs

Personally, I hate the dark objects on a dark map.

For example: Destroy the klingon derelicts in the system.

I often find myself looking for the ships before I start fighting the mobs next to it. Otherwise, I risk never finding it again. Our ships have scanners, I should be able to clearly detect a derelict ship. I don't know, call them an anomaly for what I care.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-01-2010, 12:27 PM
In my first couple of days playing, I was playing my Klingon, doing an exploration mission, in warps Starfleet...
"You have one chance. Surrender or be destroyed."...Wha? U.S.S. no way... I.S.S. maybe. (I seriously logged out and read up on STO lore just to make sure I wasn't playing in some screwed up MU.)

But that's a conceptual error IMO. Starfleet officers just shouldn't talk like that. Except maybe my Infected Science officer... 'We are Starfleet. Resistance is... amusing.'

Some of the missions have good stories to them. Mostly the storyline missions. The random ones seem to come up with some odd discrepancies.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Starfleet is all about respecting other species...unless, of course, the filthy xenos are in between me and my dilithium!
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostish
Thank you for the laughs

Personally, I hate the dark objects on a dark map.

For example: Destroy the klingon derelicts in the system.

I often find myself looking for the ships before I start fighting the mobs next to it. Otherwise, I risk never finding it again. Our ships have scanners, I should be able to clearly detect a derelict ship. I don't know, call them an anomaly for what I care.
Personally, I ignore the enemy ships, just target manually(white target reticle activates at 5 km or so) and shoot the derelict, and then emergency power to engine, 100% power to engine or evasive maneuver or ramming speed to the next derelict(see a bunch of enemy ships in the distance = another derelict next to them).

Complete most Klingon PVE in under 3 min this way... No reason to kill, just do objective and leave.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguehwz
Personally, I ignore the enemy ships, just target manually(white target reticle activates at 5 km or so) and shoot the derelict, and then emergency power to engine, 100% power to engine or evasive maneuver or ramming speed to the next derelict(see a bunch of enemy ships in the distance = another derelict next to them).

Complete most Klingon PVE in under 3 min this way... No reason to kill, just do objective and leave.
I've actually done even better a couple of times, and I've started it as a running gag in supplemental captain's reports. Get one of those "scan the asteroid" missions which just happen to have Klingon's around them AND in between. Don't quite understand what they were doing in Cardassian space anyway. Plan it right and I get away with the Klingons never even getting a shot off. Swing wide around the in-between groups, then find out which side of the asteroid the Klingon is on. Go to the opposite, scan, then full impulse out.

My "crew" have started taking bets on if we can get in and out stealthily. I forgot what officer had to cook a week's worth of meals, but whatever the muse decides at the time. Usually the new member.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Painter_Pegazus View Post
I've actually done even better a couple of times, and I've started it as a running gag in supplemental captain's reports. Get one of those "scan the asteroid" missions which just happen to have Klingon's around them AND in between. Don't quite understand what they were doing in Cardassian space anyway. Plan it right and I get away with the Klingons never even getting a shot off. Swing wide around the in-between groups, then find out which side of the asteroid the Klingon is on. Go to the opposite, scan, then full impulse out.

My "crew" have started taking bets on if we can get in and out stealthily. I forgot what officer had to cook a week's worth of meals, but whatever the muse decides at the time. Usually the new member.
If it's a "scanning" type of mission, I scramble or jam the enemy ship's sensor or use stealth, scan away and full power to engine away to next "scan". Again, no point in killing stuff unless the objectives state so.