Lt. Commander
# 1 Weapon Type and Powers
06-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Hello,

I am making my first character on ST and so far I'm really enjoying it. I have reached commander level, and I have a question about weapon powers.

I want to put points into starship phaser, disruptor, plasma, etc... My question is: Should I just pick one and put all points into it then just use those weapons? Or, is it worth it to invest points into all of them so I can use whatever weapons I come across?

Im worried that if I put points into phaser weapons for example, then I get some good plasma weapons then my points invested into phaser will be wasted.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I suggest waiting on spending points on those specific weapons until you have found something you are comfortable with. Phasers: chance to turn off systems; disruptors: chance to provide a small decrease in damage resistance to target for short period of time; plasma: chance to cause plasma damage directly to hull, but not providing that much damage over time and only for a short duration; tetyron: chance to decrease the shields on all sides of a small amount; polaron: chance to decrease all power levels by 25 for a short duration; anti-proton: really good shield penetration and provides more criticals.

That's all for energy weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I still can't find a real difference between the weapon type. The tiny amount of benefit you get does not offset the huge amount of skill point invested in higher tier weapons.

Okay, maybe just the darn COLOR. :p

Please, anyone, tell me the real benefit.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I kinda explained it up above. Which weapons do you really want to know about? I gave the info about energy weapon types.

I like Polarons as a Tact Star Cruiser and I can put up one of the highest damages in PvP.

I recommend Polarons, Antiproton, or disruptors.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM
You don't really have anything to worry about. At the top end getting a full compliment of rare purple level gear is easily done and you are offered a choice of any of the weapon types. So you can outfit your ship in any weapon and power type you wish.

Couple this with the ability to respec and reset your spent skill points and pick other skills. Pretty much means you cant get yourself into a corner where you have a weapon type you want to use but no skill in it.

So with that in mind, from an efficiency stand point, its always in your benefit to specialize in one weapon damage type. Rather then spreading your skill points all around.

As far as what type is better then the other. That can be a source of debate and whole other topic. But keep in mind that for all weapon types the only difference is the special proc, actual damage is the same for all. And at a 2.5% chance for a proc. The proc will hardly ever be the deciding factor in a fight. So the differences are pretty negligible.