Lt. Commander
I'm posting this as a FYI. Obviously minds are made up and the course is set, but I feel compelled to point out the consequences of the last patches change in regards to science skills and aux power.

The day you added Advanced/Elite modes I tried Elite and realized I'd need a group. No problem there, I expected that. I set the difficulty to Advanced and it fit like a glove. Space combat was hard enough to be exciting and ground combat was hard enough I couldnt absolutely smoke everything in a few seconds.

As you know the 1.2 patch forces a science captain to set their aux power at 75 to keep their abilities at the same effectiveness they were in 1.1. That isnt feasible for me, 53 is the most I can spare for Aux power. My science space skills are no longer as effective.

As a result, I can not handle advanced mode in space anymore. There is no reward in advanced I was seeking, I was only playing on advanced for fun, and it was. But now I have to turn the difficulty to normal because certain space encounters are simply too hard since 1.2. In 1.1, advanced mode fit me like a glove. I died occasionally just enough I couldn't sleep through the combats. I didn't mind that advanced mode didn't offer substantial rewards, I did it for kicks. But now its back to normal mode, and back to steamrolling ground missions. It is simply too difficult to handle encounters like "Secure the System 0/6 Borg" on advanced after 1.2.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Time to Respec
06-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilr
I'm posting this as a FYI. Obviously minds are made up and the course is set, but I feel compelled to point out the consequences of the last patches change in regards to science skills and aux power.

The day you added Advanced/Elite modes I tried Elite and realized I'd need a group. No problem there, I expected that. I set the difficulty to Advanced and it fit like a glove. Space combat was hard enough to be exciting and ground combat was hard enough I couldnt absolutely smoke everything in a few seconds.

As you know the 1.2 patch forces a science captain to set their aux power at 75 to keep their abilities at the same effectiveness they were in 1.1. That isnt feasible for me, 53 is the most I can spare for Aux power. My science space skills are no longer as effective.

As a result, I can not handle advanced mode in space anymore. There is no reward in advanced I was seeking, I was only playing on advanced for fun, and it was. But now I have to turn the difficulty to normal because certain space encounters are simply too hard since 1.2. In 1.1, advanced mode fit me like a glove. I died occasionally just enough I couldn't sleep through the combats. I didn't mind that advanced mode didn't offer substantial rewards, I did it for kicks. But now its back to normal mode, and back to steamrolling ground missions. It is simply too difficult to handle encounters like "Secure the System 0/6 Borg" on advanced after 1.2.
You'll need to max out your Auxiliary efficiency skill, then you can leave aux power at 50 and have it perform like it's set to 80.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm not on the game atm, but I will promise you if I dont have "9" in that skill, then I have "7" in it. But *all* of the power level skills I considered very important. That of course also includes warp core training. The problem is to set aux that high means the power has to come from somewhere.....
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
look at retraining your bo's skill set, i've just retrained about 6 different bo's tonight

science i'm now running
2 x Tractor Beam1
2 x PH2
2 x ST3
GW3 - just experimenting with it for a giggle

tac

BO1
HYT2

engineer

EPW1, EPS1
RSP1

100 power to weapons, shields 50, engines/auxiliary 25

i've dropped out jam sensors since it was ****ing me of it didn't work without aux, i'll see how this build goes later today when i do my dailies.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilr
I'm not on the game atm, but I will promise you if I dont have "9" in that skill, then I have "7" in it. But *all* of the power level skills I considered very important. That of course also includes warp core training. The problem is to set aux that high means the power has to come from somewhere.....
I think your missing what I'm saying. Right now you have your aux power setting at 56, right?

Do you also have your Auxiliary efficiency skill maxed out at 9, if not Auxiliary efficiency will help you out a lot. You'll be able to set your aux power to 50 and thanks to the boost that it will get from a maxed Auxiliary efficiency will make 50 power perform like 80 power. You could also pick up the Eng skill emergency power to auxiliary to get a nice boost to your aux power level. I to am a Science officer and I captain a Carrier, my base aux power setting is 93. I'm more of a defensive healer. When boosted my aux power level is 108 and my healing skill are off the charts. My Hazard emitter level 2 and 3 heal for over 1100 and 1400 per second for 15 seconds and RSP2 will completely recharge a downed shield facing.

You may have to give up so damaging power in exchange for stronger defense and recovery. Your battles may last longer but you'll still come out on top. Skills like FBP and ES combinde with high aux power have become deadly thanks to 1.2.

Sorry for running on but remember Cryptic made these changes to force longer pvp matchs and make us team up to be more effective, you can still go solo but it will take you a bit more time to do so.

Good luck to you
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Personally I had no worries with Advanced using my current Dual Tykens build. Not tried elite yet,

Power levels are: 100/52/52/78 using my skill setup/consoles

Sci: Tractor beam/Scramble Sensors/Grabbity 1 or Tyr 2/Grabbity 3 or Tyr 3 (dependant on BO, experimenting a bit)
Sci: Hazard Emitters 1/Sci Team 2/Photonic Shockwave (may swap photonic for an energy siphon)
Tac: HYT 1/TSS Shields 2
Engineer: EPTS 1 /RSP 1

then final slot either Beam Fire at Will or EP to Aux 1 depending which ship I'm using.

Use a Covariant [cap x 3]/Deflector [Sen][SenA][SenP]/Hyper Impulse[Spd][Turn]

1 dual 1 beam 1 torp front 3 beam back (disruptors)

Like I said Advanced is still fun, really should try epic but think I might bite off a bit much there solo
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
You can also shift your power allocations. To do it with some speed you need an EPS Flow Regulator console. Or best yet use two. And you can create a custom power allocation scheme. On my Science ships, i used Balanced for setting my Aux to 100. And then I slip to Offensive for DPS. I kick tail.

If you need more info or help in juggling your power or squeezing more from your Warp Core, read my Beginner's Guide to Ship's Power. The link is in my signature. You can squeeze a lot of power if invense heavily in power skills and traits. One my character that did that I have the power settings using the default modes Offense: 114/080/53/53. Defense: 74/120/53/58. Speed: 54/64/109/74. Balance: 76/80/69/74. If I had enough points I'd have Aux System Performance to add another +9 Aux to everything. And in my custom all AUX power mode I get: 61/70/59/115 out of 30/35/30/100.

Those power levels are base. No Emer Power To X, no Batteries, No Team skills buffs. Don't ever tell me you don't have enough power.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-05-2010, 11:55 AM
tbh only need 1 post 1.2, the speed is really noticeable
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Perhaps part of the issue is that the OP and many others invested 7,8 or 9 pts in Aux Efficiency because their power levels were set low. Now, however, they've jacked up the power over 50 and are seeing much dimished increases from this stat.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Assuming you've already got the appropriate skills to 7-9

Emergency power to Aux I and/or II should easily bump your Aux over 75, and its for 30secs which is heaps of time to fire off abilities

Plus Aux consoles depending what level your at +4 - +6 to aux will also make a big difference.

so yeah try those