Lt. Commander
If you are like me, chances are you have discharged a bridge officer that you put at least some skill points into. When you discharge that officer, the skill points go with them. What I am proposing is that when you discharge a bridge officer that you have put skill points into, you should be refunded with an equal amount of points as the amount you put into that bridge officer's skills. I haven't done this that much but I am sure that there are some other people who put thousands of skill points into an officer, then decided to discharge that officer. This would also apply to when you retrain an officer. If you train a skill over another skill that you have spent skill points on, you would be refunded. Tell me what you guys think, and give respectful feedback on why you agree or disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Rspectfully disagree on two points (although there have been times I did agree with you).

1) Those BOs, once a skill is learned and then re-trained or officer dismissed, take those skills with them. Its kinda like you cant suck that knowledge out of them so they can use it somewhere else.

Also think of it this way, IRL if you want to learn a new skill you cant unlearn an old one and them immediately be an expert at the new skill. It takes time, study, and practice.

2) By the time you hit RA5 you will have 1,000's of BO skill points (I do) so in the end those points are meaningless.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-08-2010, 06:40 AM
MrWinkie is right. BO points you amass in the thousands...I could discharge my entire BO staff, and hire new ones with new skills at LEAST 3 times over without a problem. I am not even sure how many points I actually have, they are that infinite in scope.

BO training skills are on,y an issue at lower levels and most BO's come standard with the skills needed to be successful at those lower levels already. If you choose to discharge a BO, then you should be ready to take the consequences of losing a well trained bridge officer from your crew.

Riker didn't give back his skill points when he left the Enterprise to command Titan. Worf didn't give his Skill points back when he left for DS9. Iike it that those skill points go with the officers.

The one thing I do wish would happen though is that discharged officers go into a universal pool, where they can be picked up by OTHER player captains before being "deleted." It would add some cool dynamics where you could pickup partially trained BO's or maybe even BO's with skills you could not get without getting them from another captain.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-08-2010, 08:55 AM
there is very little need to get the points refunded. by the time you hit RA5 you have more BO skill points than you can use, and just keep aquiring them in place of normal skill points.
Lt. Commander
Many thanks for this thread and the posts.

A major concern of mine has been is there a limit on how many skill points you accrue.

I have hesitated on training my BOs as I knew there were rare BOs coming down the line.

I can rest easy now and transfer BOs without worrying about how to train the rare BOs!

I used the term 'transfer' for releasing BOs as discharging them has a real-world connotation associated with it. In the US military if you are discharged you either have left the service voluntarily or have been booted out for being a bad egg!
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyejon View Post
Many thanks for this thread and the posts.

A major concern of mine has been is there a limit on how many skill points you accrue.

I have hesitated on training my BOs as I knew there were rare BOs coming down the line.

I can rest easy now and transfer BOs without worrying about how to train the rare BOs!

I used the term 'transfer' for releasing BOs as discharging them has a real-world connotation associated with it. In the US military if you are discharged you either have left the service voluntarily or have been booted out for being a bad egg!
When you hit the skill cap, you stop getting skill points for completing missions and the like. Instead you get double bridge officer points.

So you start to saturate yourself in points you can't even hope to keep up spending away.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
When you hit the skill cap, you stop getting skill points for completing missions and the like. Instead you get double bridge officer points.

So you start to saturate yourself in points you can't even hope to keep up spending away.
Wonderful News! You have made me a very happy Admiral!

I have 5 characters and for one of them he hasn't used any skill points to train his officers. He is LCDR lvl 1. I guess he has some work to do!