Lt. Commander
# 11
06-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Takes a bow of victory for the STO community

/ victory tastes so sweet! SUPPORT
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
There were a couple bonus items offered through atari sales for a very limited time.. can't remember what they were though!
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Wow, I steer clear of the boards for a few days and this happens!!

Wonder what made them decide to give these items away ala C-Store?
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
Wow, I steer clear of the boards for a few days and this happens!!

Wonder what made them decide to give these items away ala C-Store?
Their not exactly giving these things away for 'Free'. This is a way to continue to get micro-transcation income from 'Lifer' accounts who can't afford (or refuse to purchase) buying new retail packages for 'perks' , as well as from the general subscription population...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwapook View Post
There were a couple bonus items offered through atari sales for a very limited time.. can't remember what they were though!
There was a 'limited edition' Healing console that offered for one weekend, but its not on the current list. Neither is the 'Radiometric' console that is still being offered by one of the Digital Download providers, or the 'Satellite Phaser Turret'...
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Their not exactly giving these things away for 'Free'. This is a way to continue to get micro-transcation income from 'Lifer' accounts who can't afford (or refuse to purchase) buying new retail packages for 'perks' , as well as from the general subscription population...
Never said "free" said "giving these away ala C-store"

(Since I foresee semantics: I got 500+ free C-points, so "technically" it is free)

Also, do you have a link (proof) to the rest of your explanation? Or is that just your opinion?
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adigregorio View Post
Never said "free" said "giving these away ala C-store"

(Since I foresee semantics: I got 500+ free C-points, so "technically" it is free)

Also, do you have a link (proof) to the rest of your explanation? Or is that just your opinion?
This is mostly IMHO, but if you want proof, just look at all the posts praising the introduction of these 'perks' into the C-Store...

And to quote the Dev's post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
Hey All,

I'm collecting feedback from this thread.

So far I assert that the primary areas of feedback are:

1.) Many players agree with the change and are excited to see these items become available.
2.) Players who elected to purchase multiple retail copies feel that their purchases are being devalued by allowing other users to purchase these items at a significantly lower price via the C-Store.

(And also as a matter of semantics, the only really 'Free' Cryptic Points was that 250 Pt reward for filling out that STO Survey, All the other 'Free' Cryptic Points are either associated with a purchase with $$$, either directly, or indirectly such as Referral Recruitment)
3.) Early-adopters who found value in the exclusivity find that the value of their purchase has diminished due to the fact that the items will be less exclusive than they were before.

I'm going to ensure that the feedback is heard. While I think that ultimately, we would like to provide these items to the users who couldn't get them before, it's always important to make sure that feedback is properly relayed.

As stated before, getting something "now" will generally come at a greater price than waiting. I apologize to anyone that feels that these changes are coming too soon, and hope that you all can understand that we are doing our best to make as many players happy as possible. Not everyone will always agree with every change, but we try! I even send out links to some of the player run polls that some people make on Polldaddy.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...15#post2738215

(and also as a matter of semantics, the only really 'Free' Cryptic Points was the 250 points reward for filling out that STO survey. All the other 'Free' Cryptic points are associated with a purchase involving $$$, either directly, or indirectly, such as Recruitment rewards)
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I think it is wrong to offer "exclusive" and special "preorder items" for sale in the store - ever. It is a slap in the face of the people that took the big risk and invested early and in some cases big-time into the franchise.

This is supposedly a creative enterprise so why not create other stuff and sell it?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
I think it is wrong to offer "exclusive" and special "preorder items" for sale in the store - ever. It is a slap in the face of the people that took the big risk and invested early and in some cases big-time into the franchise.

This is supposedly a creative enterprise so why not create other stuff and sell it?
I agree wholeheartedly. Or..... I propose Cryptic introduce these items with slight variations.

The items don't even have to be created from the scratch. Why not make "variations" of the pre-order/collectors items and put them into C-Store, instead of having the same items available? That would certainly appease both the collectors and the C-Store fanatics.

The nature of variations can be anything, fro a slight name change, stats variation, or even a color change. I say that doesn't offend any collectors out there AND is still available for the C-Store fanatics who want those items as well.

Those slight changes don't require much work from Cryptic. Use the same models for the items. Just a small variations to differentiate the items acquired via Pre-Order/Collectors to those from C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
such as Recruitment rewards)
Oh my.

That's a curveball I totally didn't see.

And a point that now that I think about it some ... makes this far more imperative for Cryptic to do.

One of the biggest issues about this topic is ... Loyalty. And giving out all those cryptic points for referrals only goes so far if you have items in the store the people want.

And this move gives those people those items. Indirectly rewarding the loyalty for the people who recruited others into the game.

That's ... hmmmmmmm ... that's a twist I hadn't considered.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monopolist
I agree wholeheartedly. Or..... I propose Cryptic introduce these items with slight variations.
The problem with variations is ... you create a situation where people want the TNG uniform. Not the TNG variant. And some "collectors" want both the TNG and the TNG variant, because they're collectors.

So you end up creating a situation that only escalates the issue, and doesn't solve the problem.

I think variants are a great idea. But only "in addition" to the other uniforms being made available. The point of the move is to make the uniforms available. So ideas that make them unavailable don't really address the issue too effectively.