Lt. Commander
# 61
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakos View Post
If you guys are going to throw the word exclusive around. Here.

http://www.startrekonline.com/exclusives

Seems as if they're all exclusive.

The funny thing is that people here are actually saying that they can't sell them on the c-store, because they're contractually bound? Legally, its still their software and property. They can do what they want.

I was there when they offered the MU and i laughed at the idea. I wouldn't pay that much for an item, but some people did. Its been the better part of a year since they sold that item and now it will be sold for less. Depreciation is a big word, but you can google it.

The most delicious part of all of this, i remember seeing in IRC someone talking about how they'll eventually sell all of this stuff through MT's and how many people agreed that it would be. Yet, there are those who don't see this as a business and can't comprehend that money has to flow in, for content to flow out.

More money = more content.
As pointed out before that page is wrong on many levels.

First off, there were no Pre-Order bonuses. Since the bonuses were actually tied to the Retail key and the Pre-Order key had no function other than to let you into Open Beta, the bonuses were actually a Retailer Bonus. They could and were given to accounts that were created long after Pre-Order was over and in some cases can still be applied today.

The Collector's Edition, Gold Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition exclusives and uniques that are listed on that page had nothing to do with Pre-Order at all. They were package exclusive for Special Editions of the game, which once again can still be purchased today.

Cryptic long ago stated that they would never give Collector's Edition items away freely and held that stance for many years with CoH and CoV. Paragon Studios (who now develops City of Heroes) still stands by Cryptic's promise and because of it the Collector's Edition of City of Heroes are rare and valuable ($131.48 new on amazon). That's right. They are collectibles.

Cryptic claimed that they were sticking to that stance with their new games when Champions Online was released. They stated that the Mirror Universe uniform granted for LTS with them would NEVER be available any other way. They stated that Collector's Edition exclusives would never be put in the C-Store. Now for Champions Online that is still true, but for Star Trek Online this is in question.

So, the question is, do you make the most loyal fans of your company, those who go out of their way to collect everything your company makes by taking away the very things they collected and were promised would always be theirs, or do you cow to the masses and just throw it all on the trading block just to try to get a few new transitional subs?

I think the answer is clear, but of course the masses disagree.

Lt. Commander
# 62
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
That definition of Unique leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Is there any other MU uniform ? Was only one MU uniform sold ? Is it distinctive because it allows a bare midriff ? Is it unusual because it is waterproof ?
I've already said that Cryptic only has to stick by the promise originally made by them. Stick to the letter of the advertisement.

That means that they only have to keep the First Officer uniform that was advertised for the CO LTS exclusive. The Skirt and Top, the Sash, and the Boots can all be packaged in a set with the Captain's uniform, as they were never advertised as part of the deal.

So, everyone would get Mirror Universe uniforms.

They just wouldn't have the male First Officer variant.

Is that good enough for you?
Can you deal with being given New Hugsy, or do you insist on having My Hugsy?

Lt. Commander
# 63
06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
[color="Wheat"]I've already said that Cryptic only has to stick by the promise originally made by them. Stick to the letter of the advertisement.

That means that they only have to keep the First Officer uniform that was advertised for the CO LTS exclusive. The Skirt and Top, the Sash, and the Boots can all be packaged in a set with the Captain's uniform, as they were never advertised as part of the deal.
I'm really curious where you get that impression from.

The other elements were not added later out of the goodness of Cryptic's heart. They were delivered late.
Lt. Commander
# 64
06-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
First of all, with regards to STO pre-order bonuses, it was stated prelaunch that Cryptic might offer these on the C-Store later in the offical FAQ and multiple interviews.

However, my sympathies are with the Champions lifers who were given a more emphatic offer of exclusivity without the fine print, disclaimers or developer communications that owners of the other bonuses had access to.

So here's my suggestion:

Keep the CO Lifer Mirror Universe uniforms exclusive.

But sell the badge, either with a new uniform (the Kirk-style sleeveless look or attached to the normal TOS-style uniforms), by itself or as part of a C-Store combadge pack.

That way, everyone can create a Terran Empire look by blending the TE badge with other, existing uniforms. And the CO lifers keep their exclusive uniforms.
negative. Cryptic.. continue with the c-store plan!
Lt. Commander
# 65
06-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I've already said that Cryptic only has to stick by the promise originally made by them. Stick to the letter of the advertisement.

So, everyone would get Mirror Universe uniforms.

They just wouldn't have the male First Officer variant.

Is that good enough for you?
Can you deal with being given New Hugsy, or do you insist on having My Hugsy?

You posted a definition, so all i wanted to do is point out what i did. I did not in any way implie that this would warrant a certain outcome like me getting any kind of hugsy (that sounds delightfully dirty btw).
Lt. Commander
# 66
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I'm really curious where you get that impression from.

The other elements were not added later out of the goodness of Cryptic's heart. They were delivered late.
True, but you have to admit, they never actually advertised those parts. The picture on the ad was of a Vulcan male in the First Officer variant. There was no female image and no reference was ever made to a female version.

Obviously everyone assumed there would be one and so one was added, but it still was never actually advertised that way.

Lt. Commander
# 67
06-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
You posted a definition, so all i wanted to do is point out what i did. I did not in any way implie that this would warrant a certain outcome like me getting any kind of hugsy (that sounds delightfully dirty btw).
Actually Hugsy is a Friends reference to an episode where Rachel's baby, Emma wanted Joey's stuffed penguin, Hugsy but he didn't want to give it up. There's nothing dirty about it and it's a perfectly fitting analogy for this situation.