Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Fleet Levels or "Renown"?
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Are there any plans to include fleet levels or renown in the future?

I was looking over DDO's Guild Level Rewards system and it's impressive. It could even work in Star Trek Online (with some modifications to fit canon).

Some great aspects:
  • TON of rewards
  • Any size guild (or fleet) can achieve it - just takes times.

What Guild Level Rewards Are:
http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_Level

How to Earn Guild Level "Renown":
http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_Renown

I'm working on a fleet level system proposal right now (break between quarters of college = free time).

How would you feel about a similarly robust system for Star Trek Online?

(note: this is a discussion about future potential for STO - not an endorsement of DDO).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Not sure I think the philosophy merges all that well with the philosophy behind Starfleet and the UFP.

Maybe this would work for klingons though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Not sure I think the philosophy merges all that well with the philosophy behind Starfleet and the UFP.

Maybe this would work for klingons though.
Well, different starfleet units are allocated resources differently (or have access to different technology). The Fleet the Enterprise-D with was in was the only one to feature an android bridge officer; Sisko had first access to the Defiant class (we could make this unique ship parts for fleets to have access to)

Here's a sample list I'm working on (thank goodness for find/replace in Word):
Quote:
Fleet Level 1
Fleet Chat
New Fleets gain the ability for all Fleet members to chat among themselves on a private Fleet chat channel.
Fleet Level 5
Fleet Mail Invitations
Grants the Fleet leader and officers the ability to send Fleet invites to players through the mail system.
Fleet Level 6
Discount Food/Drink Vendor
Grants the ability to shop at the Fleet discount Food/Drink Vendor in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld) who sells all of the standard divine spell components at reduced energy credits.
Fleet Level 8
Discount Commodity Vendor
Grants the ability to shop at the Fleet discount Commodity Vendor in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld) who sells all of the standard arcane spell components at reduced energy credits.
Fleet Level 10
Small Fleet Augments
Grants all Fleet members the ability to equip items that have Small Fleet New Ship Subsystem Routine slots. These items can be augmented with various additional effects and you decide what to augment them with. The New Ship Subsystem Routine vendors can be found in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld).
Fleet Level 12
Discount Tactical Bridge Officer Vendor
Grants the ability to shop at the Fleet discount Tactical Bridge Officer Vendor in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld) who sells all of the Tactical Bridge Officers at reduced energy credits.
Fleet Level 14
Discount Science Bridge Officer Vendor
Grants the ability to shop at the Fleet discount Science Bridge Officer Vendor in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld) who sells all of the Science Bridge Officers at reduced energy credits.
Fleet Level 16
Discount Engineering Bridge Officer Vendor
Grants the ability to shop at the Fleet discount Engineering Bridge Officer Vendor in Sol Station, Qo地os, (or faction homeworld) who sells all of the Engineering Bridge Officers at reduced energy credits.
Fleet Level 18
Discount Hypos/Batteries the ability to shop at the Fleet Discount Hypos/Batterie Vendor at Sol Station, Qo地os (or faction homeworld) who sells a variety of Hypos/Batteries at reduced energy credits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Well, different starfleet units are allocated resources differently (or have access to different technology). The Fleet the Enterprise-D with was in was the only one to feature an android bridge officer; Sisko had first access to the Defiant class (we could make this unique ship parts for fleets to have access to)

Here's a sample list I'm working on (thank goodness for find/replace in Word):
Personally I would love this kind of system... but it will probably never be in game... too many people will complain about "having" to be in a fleet, unfair in pvp, etc. Although for the PVP argument, they could make the fleet bonuses not apply in PVP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeismine View Post
Personally I would love this kind of system... but it will probably never be in game... too many people will complain about "having" to be in a fleet, unfair in pvp, etc. Although for the PVP argument, they could make the fleet bonuses not apply in PVP.
Well, it wouldn't change the game much for people. They could continue to play as they may - no loss, per-se. The game would function "as currently intended."

I think a key to it would be to make the rewards small (small stat boosts, discounts, etc.) A 1% bonus isn't much, even in PvP (though the stat bonuses could affect PvE only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
But, what about penalties? Perhaps if you fail a fleet action you lose renown?
I'd be cool with that but we already know there's a vocal contingent who doesn't like punishments for failure (i.e. death penalty).

I'm not sure how to court that group - that'd be a hurdle almost as big as the "I don't want to be in a fleet" group.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
True, people dislike penalties. Perhaps use the difficulty slider as a model.

Regular, Advanced and Elite Renown. The fleet must do every action in that specific mode to receive the Advanced or Elite moniker. Rewards scale accordingly.

For PvP, if the fleet wins the match it receives renown and if they lose, no renown.

Some fleets already have the name elite in them so perhaps, for the Federation, a different uniform attachment, similar to the Klingon arm attachment.

As far as people not wanting to join a fleet, well, I suppose they can achieve the same discounts pugging the fleet actions. The issue the person would have is difficulty matching, but, much like buying in bulk, sometimes there should be a benefit to being in a fleet.
OMG - more options! People are going to freak out when they discover Cryptic loves lateral options over the long-term.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
My opinion on fleets is that they aren't even needed in this game currently.
Sure you get to be social and have some buddies to call on for help.... but theres a real lack of material that you could involve a bunch of people in.
If we ever get some wow-esque 25 player instances then I could see the benefit of having a well honed, coordinated team to go in with.
The 5 player STFs benefit some from knowing how your teammates function but can be done with PUGs easily enough.
And the fleet actions are still open (as far as I know) so you can get some clown ruining it for you and theres really nothing you can do about it.

I'm not a hater of player groups but IMO the game doesnt do anything to make them relovent.
When I see some good content that is geared for a large, coordinated group of players and makes the hard work you put in worth your time I'll be completely on board with fleets being a necessary part of this game.

We need instances that make the idea of a pug laughable and we need to be able to have our own fleet action instances that people can be booted from.
We also need some sort of accountability and viewable stats that allow people to know how well you play in certain instances before they find themselves in the middle of one with you regretting the invite.
And it wouldnt hurt to be able to group in larger numbers than 5 and have an interface that allows you to monitor all your teammates in fleet actions and in pvp.

:::puts away soap box:::
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8
My opinion on fleets is that they aren't even needed in this game currently.
Sure you get to be social and have some buddies to call on for help.... but theres a real lack of material that you could involve a bunch of people in.
If we ever get some wow-esque 25 player instances then I could see the benefit of having a well honed, coordinated team to go in with.
The 5 player STFs benefit some from knowing how your teammates function but can be done with PUGs easily enough.
And the fleet actions are still open (as far as I know) so you can get some clown ruining it for you and theres really nothing you can do about it.

I'm not a hater of player groups but IMO the game doesnt do anything to make them relovent.
When I see some good content that is geared for a large, coordinated group of players and makes the hard work you put in worth your time I'll be completely on board with fleets being a necessary part of this game.

We need instances that make the idea of a pug laughable and we need to be able to have our own fleet action instances that people can be booted from.
We also need some sort of accountability and viewable stats that allow people to know how well you play in certain instances before they find themselves in the middle of one with you regretting the invite.
And it wouldnt hurt to be able to group in larger numbers than 5 and have an interface that allows you to monitor all your teammates in fleet actions and in pvp.

:::puts away soap box:::
I agree with you - allowing Fleets to not only have their own, private Fleet Action instance but also implement the Squad(ron) Mechanic so everyone is an appropriate level for the encounter would be awesome.

I see Fleet Actions as the 25 man dungeons of STO - it's a shame there aren't:
  • more of them
  • longer ones
  • ability to have everyone match encounter level
  • ability for fleets to have a private instance
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:53 AM.