Lt. Commander
# 11
06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
You're right Dark, weight really cant be an issue given the size of the ships we're talking about modifying.

The impulse engines could still be used in a similar way tho...
Make more impulse engines in the vibe of the Mk IV efficients with power bonuses to certain systems. But not a bonus to all systems...make it so there are plus certain stats and minus others so sacrifices would have to be made for your power bonuses.

That way if you want a power bonus to shields you would have to take a drop in power to weapons for example. So you would get your uber shields but might have to leave a weapon slot empty since you dont have enough power to fire them all effectively like you once did. etc. etc.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-10-2010, 02:41 AM
The problem with this whole thread is that if u change stats of any of the parts then u will end up with cookie cutter designs. No matter what the stats are that u are changing u will end up with cookie cutter designs because players will learn what stats are best used for what they are doing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-10-2010, 03:02 AM
I dont think many players will enjoy having (hat seems to them) a fugly ship for the sake of using a certain combination. If nothing else this will encourage people to adapt around their favourite look so the end result will be more or less the same.

I agree that upgrading tier 4 ships will introduce the variety needed along with new designs and components that may be added in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-10-2010, 03:59 AM
On principal, I like the idea of associating ship components like nacelles and saucers with specific benefits, but I want to design my ship looks freely. I don't want to be stuck with the Imperial hull just because it provides a +2 % damage resistance bonus that my build can use better than the +2 bonus to Deflector Emitters from the Sovereign.

Also, how do we deal with the fact that some ship have more customization options then others? (And some barely have any at all, like many Klingon vessels).

I think we had this idea before (wasn't there someone creating a lot of interesting polls on possible elements for future STO features?).
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
On principal, I like the idea of associating ship components like nacelles and saucers with specific benefits, but I want to design my ship looks freely. I don't want to be stuck with the Imperial hull just because it provides a +2 % damage resistance bonus that my build can use better than the +2 bonus to Deflector Emitters from the Sovereign.
That's why you never give that +2 bonus to emitter to a part, because that's a focused bonus. Eg. If you use emitter based sci skills a lot, use that part, or otherwise don't. The damage resistance stat bonus universally helps you no matter what your build looks like. That's the key, make sure that the bonuses are all general and are not build specific.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Personally I wasnt talking about such specific things as emitters and whatnot.
I was thinking more along the lines of certain power levels.

But now that I think about it I was confusing impulse and warp engines.... impulse engines are what they are but the warp core is the power plant of the ship.

anyway.....

My train of thought was for the ships base power levels to be manipulated though components other than consoles.
And to have the power levels be effected in positive and negative ways depending on your choice of component.

So it wouldnt be just generic buffs, you would have to make your choice based on the positive and negative stats of that piece and I'm not talking +X amount in one power and minus the same amount in another.

I'm speaking more of a large variety of combinations where the differences can be substantial.
One player may think losing 20 shield power to gain 10 weapon power is absurd but another player might be in the right ship or spec for that to be ideal for them.

However for that to make sense we would need to be given a warp core equipment slot and they probably have their reasons for leaving that out in the first place.