Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
06-11-2010, 01:10 PM
A man should never be given anything solely for the color of his skin. I oppose an African American Spider-Man on that principle alone. This sounds like a executive type decision that would be used to draw a different demographic.

Besides, Peter Parker was white.

If you want a good black superhero it's all about Green Lantern (The one from Justice League), that guy was kickass...I could totally go for Keith David or Denzel for that!
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfaz
This is all very confusing.

So, Mace Windu was a Nazi Jedi and he killed Stan Lee because he wasn't cast as Spider-Man?

Rubbish. Rubbish, I say.

We all know Peter Parker can be portrayed by non-other-than this guy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Wow.....just...wow. Not sure much can be said about that pic.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but seeing as that guy appears more southern Asian than black, and the Swastika, a holy symbol with a long history is not necessarily a Hakenkreuz (the actual name for the Nazi insignia), and the fact that he's smiling in the picture tells me that either he doesn't realize the red field makes it look like a Hakenkreuz or he doesn't care.

On a side note, thank you, Mister Hitler, for ruining one of the most revered symbols in both Buddhism and Hinduism. Thank you so very much.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Once there was an animated series, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. His amazing freinds were Ice-Man and Fire-Star and it did portray them in high-school or at least college. Dr Doom was the recurring villain in that show. It was fun to watch.

And as for the colour thing, why change Peter Parker ? They could do it, but.... if itīs true what they say about black men he couldnīt possibly wear spandex....

On a side note, The Denzel is ancient, they could kill him with action scenes.
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Sure, why not. And while we're at it let's have an asian Hulk since we know asians are smart so it makes sense that Bruce Lee - er,Banner, would be Asian.

They could also have a American Indian Thor, a Russian Captain America and a black Nick Fury!

... oh wait, they already did that last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Cedric View Post
Over at syfy wire, they posted a story, where Stan 'The Man' Lee gives his 2 cents on an African American playing the role of spider-man.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/stan-le...ican-ameri.php

Now IMO if they are going to reboot spider-man to begin with, I say why not redo the whole story. Look at it this way, we have the Ultimate Universe, so why not open the door to something like this. Heck we are already mad over the last movie, which wasn't that great, so maybe this will move the story back on track, but with a new look.

I resect everything Mr. Lee has to say on this topic, after all he help to pen the Spider-man, and it was part of his empire at one time.

So what do you guys think on this topic? Should there be an African-American cast as Spider-man for the next movie?
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but seeing as that guy appears more southern Asian than black, and the Swastika, a holy symbol with a long history is not necessarily a Hakenkreuz (the actual name for the Nazi insignia), and the fact that he's smiling in the picture tells me that either he doesn't realize the red field makes it look like a Hakenkreuz or he doesn't care.

On a side note, thank you, Mister Hitler, for ruining one of the most revered symbols in both Buddhism and Hinduism. Thank you so very much.

That is all.
It is the Hakenkreuz. Hitler is the only one that tilted it like that, to distinguish it from the normal use in Asia and the Americas (some American Indian tribes, like the Navaho, used it). So, while it is what it is, you are right that the kid probably doesn't realize what it is. All the more, amusing if I may, that the company that made those does know what it means, but knew that their consumers would not. Wearing a shirt like that, except at a Klan or AN or other white supremecy group meeting, will just get you a beat down here in the US. But you are right Hazard, even wearing a shirt with the swastika as it was intended to be meant will still get you a beat down here.

Funny, though, if you go into downtown Chicago and look at the architecture of the buildings erected from the teens to the thirties, a good majority of them have a traditional swastika as part of the artwork. This was intended as a good luck charm for the buildings, and is used in the traditional depiction. Most people don't know this artwork is there, and when they do finally look up and see it, they freak out, hehe.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Once there was an animated series, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. His amazing freinds were Ice-Man and Fire-Star and it did portray them in high-school or at least college. Dr Doom was the recurring villain in that show. It was fun to watch.

And as for the colour thing, why change Peter Parker ? They could do it, but.... if itīs true what they say about black men he couldnīt possibly wear spandex....

On a side note, The Denzel is ancient, they could kill him with action scenes.
LOL what do you mean ..IF?Its pretty much fact no?Ok we wont go there.:p