Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 51 Thank you!
10-27-2008, 06:52 AM
Thank you for all your great feedback about the interview. As you can see, we're looking forward to Star Trek Online just as much as you are!
Lt. Commander
# 52
10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantos View Post
I don't think being allowed to play as a borg would be overly off-balancing.
Look at 7 of 9 from Voyager or Hue from The Next Generation.
I think if they were going to allow PC controlled Borg there ought to be some kind of trade-off. Some kind of stat handicap or something, I mean, 7 of 9 (as a character) wasn't uber by any means. She had some obvious strengths, but some weaknesses.
How that would relate to a gaming system, I don't know. Again though, if Borg are going to be playable as player controlled characters there would need to be some kind of balancing factor that would have to come into play.

just my opinion though, that and 5 pennies gets you a nickel.
I understand the trepidation a lot of people feel about the Borg...

The way I read it:
Quote:
"Craig : We’ve thought about it. There are some daunting design problems, one of which would be how to deal with Borg PCs being part of the Collective. That being said, we’ve had some creative and cool conversations about what it might be like to play as the Borg – so maybe there will be something in the future!"
They've thought about the collective aspect.. and may have nixed that portion of the Borg play... as you already stated.. Seven of Nine, and Hue, were both good characters in the ST Stories... and neither were 'uber.'

As far as trade-offs in using a 'freed' Borg? Well, Seven was 'smarter,' due to the knowledge she was able to retain about species the Borg had encountered, but was also very confused about social interaction.. similar to Vulcans... Hue, was down-right lost initially, then very angry... hurt.. etc. Those would be great 'disadvantages' to add to a character.

If anyone decided to play as a Borg "captain" ... they might have supplemented strength... or higher stamina (not having to return to the recharge unit as frequently as people need to eat, etc.) But, any race they encounter should have VERY mistrusting communications... and that would make things more difficult for the captain to do the "exploration" aspect of the game.. trading would be inhibited.. etc.

Borg, as a faction.. I do not think would be a good idea, for the very valid reasons people have already stated... But a Borg (freed) character, I think could have it's merits.

Personally, I would not want to play a freed Borg... but having a Borg as navigator, or science officer.. or.. doctor.. yeah, I can see the merit in that. And it's not against canon for it to be in game.

We'll have to see how the Dev's decide to play that part out.

- Peace
Lt. Commander
# 53
10-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Thank you for all the constant updates, i like thy way you keep us informed and droooooling over this thing.......caint wait.
Lt. Commander
# 54
10-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't think the Borg are playable as PCs in a game. You might as well be playing the Giant Cornucopia of Doom planet destroyer from TOS the Doomsday Machine. They have no desire to explore, just assimilate.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-02-2008, 03:38 AM
It all sounds great, can't wait to see who comes back for voice overs. They should bring Worf, Picard, Data, Riker, all of them back. Since time travel will exist It can be made to fit. Plus Data's "brother" is still around I'm guessing, and he may have increased his intellect. Although Mr. Spiner said he is done with Data, perhaps we could persuade him somehow, doubt It but It would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-06-2008, 11:51 PM
i think that making the borg as a playebel speceis is a bad idea mostly becaus ONE BORG CAN NOT BE INDEPENDANT.
They all work as one and i dont think pleyers will like to do evry thing the others do.
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Awesome interview. Can't believe I missed it appearing. As ever, not much concrete but still so tantalising
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-20-2008, 10:12 PM
if you remember the end of the TNG time traveling episode Time's arrow,at the end of the episode the left Data's head. well the one they first found. why not travel back take it and put it on Lore's body? or perhaps since data's program was in the ENTERPRISE 1701-E COMPUTER perhaps rewrite lore's program?