Lt. Commander
I posted this over in the Science Ships forum and got a lot of good feed back. I figured it would get more exposure in the Powers and Bridge officers forum so I am posting it here as well. Enjoy,

Your trying to decide where to put skills and you read the description and it gives 2 examples of what it improves. But thats just an example! What other powers does it boost?! Its just so frustrating!
To help both myself, and my fellow science captains I created a massive list of all the SPACE science skills and powers. For the Skills, I simply looked at the description in the tree. I included its example of what it effects and anything else I found.

How I found all the Powers, and what boosts them:
to find all the powers (for officers) I went to the officer trainer and simply looked through them all looking at the description. however, this description was severely lacking! it did not say ALL the skills that boosted a power. to see ALL the skills that boost a power you must do two things. A) have a bridge officer with the power unlocked! EI you can put it in your hotkey bar. B) press P to bring up your powers and click on the power and scroll to the bottom, there it does tell you all skills that boost it.

I got so-and-so item and it does blah, what does that improve!?
well I made that easy! example: I got a deflector that does "+x to Deflector Dish" now if i scroll through my list of skills I can find "Deflector Dish" and see that it boost Tachyon Beam and Energy Siphon. Or if you want to boost a power such as Sensor Scan I can scroll through the list and see what skills it boost, and knowing the skills it boost I can pick items that boost those skills.

NOTE: This list is incomplete! as I mentioned I can only see all skills that boost a power by owning and being able to use the power. because it would take a lot of time (and merit) to train my officer with a skill, leave the dock, write down the skills, and repeat I do not have all of them done. also there are many Powers I simply can not use yet so I cant see the boosting skills. please leave a message if you can fill in any of these powers/skills or if anything is wrong. I'll edit this post to keep it up to date.

SKILLS
--------------------------------

Starfleet Training:

Science Vessel Captain / Research Science Vessel Captain / Long Range Science Vessel Captain / Deep Space Science Vessel Captain / Reconnaissance Science Vessel Captain
These are all essentially the exact same skill. They boost hull strength, speed and maneuverability. The difference between them is just what ship they boost. I am not entirely too sure but I do not think the lower level skill helps higher level skill. If your being really stingy about where you put your points then I would suggest you not put any points in to any of these skills except for the the very last one (because that is the ship you will use endgame) and Science Vessel Captain (because it boosts all science vessels)
Improves Skills:
none
Improves powers:
none

Starship Operations:

Starship Operations Training:
Improves starship sensor, deflector, and emitter abilities
Improves Powers:
Tachyon Beam
Sensor Scan
Tractor Beam
Jam Targeting Sensors
Polarize hull
Transfer Shield Strength
Scramble Sensors
Photonic Shock wave
Viral Matrix
Hazard Emitters
Charged Particle Burst
Energy Siphon
Photonic Officer

----------------------- Lt. Commander

Starship Deflectors:
Improves Deflector Abilities
Improves Powers:
Tachyon Beam
Feedback Pulse
Transfer Shield Strength
Science Team
Energy Siphon

Starship Emitters:
improves starship emitter abilities
Improves Powers:
Tractor Beam
Polarize Hull
Photonic Shock wave
Photonic Officer
Hazard Emitters

Starship Sensors:
Improves Starship Sensor abilities
Improves Powers:
Scramble Sensors
Jam Targeting Sensors
Viral Matrix

------------------ Commander

Starship Deflector Dish
improves Deflector Dish Abilities. At max rank you can train officers Tachyon Beam III.
Improves Powers:
Tachyon Beam
Energy Siphon
Gravity Well
Tykens Rift
Photonic Shock wave

Starship Sensor Array
improves starship sensor array abilities. At max rank you can train offficers Jam Sensors III
improves Powers:
Sensor Scan
Jam Targeting Sensors
Charged Particle Burst
Jam Sensors

Starship Tractor Beam
Improves starship tractor beam abilities. At max rank can train officers Tractor Beam III
Improves Powers:
Tractor Beam
Tractor Beam Repulsors

----------------- Captain

Starship Deflector Field
improves Starship Deflector Field abilities. At max rank can train officers Feedback Pulse III
improves Powers:
Dampening Field
Transfer Shield Strength
Feedback Pulse
Science Team

Starship Hazard Systems
improves Starship Hazard Systems abilities. At max rank can train officers Hazard Emitters III
improves powers:
Polarize Hull
Hazard Emitters

Starship Sensor Probes
improves Starship Sensor Probe abilities. At max rank can train officers Scramble Sensors III
improves Powers:
Viral Matrix
Scramble Sensors

-------------- Admiral

Astrometrics:
improves astrometrics abilities
at max rank can train Particle burst III
Improves Powers:
Charged Particle Burst

Photonic Theory
improves Photonic abilities. At max rank can train officers Photonic Shock Wave III
improves powers:
Photonic Shock Wave
Photonic Fleet
Photonic Officer

Spatial Anomaly
improves abilities that create or resist spatial anomalies. At max rank can train officers Gravity Well III.
Improves powers:
Tykens Rift
Gravity Well.

Bridge Officer Powers:
-----------------------------------------
some of these powers are only available for certain ranks (IE lieutenant, lt. Commander, commander) and it varys upon the level of the power (I, II, III)

Science Team:
increased by: Deflector Field, Deflectors, Science Team Leader
Targets friend or self
Regenerates Shields
Removes science debuffs
increases starship operations training
reduces damage to shields

Tachyon Beam:
Increased by: Deflector Dish, Deflectors, Operations Training, Aux Power
targest foe
Does X damage a "Pulse" to the shield facing you. once that shield is depleted it effects all shields and prevents facing shield from recharging.
damage does not depend on range
Note: It has a 130(?) degree firing arc, if you turn you ship so that the target is outside of this arc it will break the beam and stop doing damage. many people say this skill does not work and I believe it is because they are breaking the beam before it is done firing. I have found the damage done by the beam to be very noticeable but only if the beam is allowed to fire for its entire duration.

Gravity Well
Increased by: Spatial Anomaly, (Deflector Dish?)
targest foe
draws foes to center of anomaly and crushes the ships, dealing kinetic damage. Shields drastically reduce the effects.

Viral Matrix
Increased by: Sensor Probes, Sensors, Operations Training.
targets foe
holds target in place. Shuts down systems.
Note: currently this power is regarded as "over powered" as it is highly effective in PvP. There are a number of powers that counter it such as Science Team and there is a Tactical power that breaks it as well although I do not know the name of it.

Jam Targeting Sensors (Note: when you buy this skill for your Officers it is listed as "Jam Sensors")
Increased by: Sensors Array, Starship Sensors, Starship Operations Training
targes foe
target can not target you

Tractor Beam
Increased by: Tractor Beam, Emitters, Operations Training
targets foe
prevents it cloaking, slows movement

Photonic Shock wave
Increased by: Emitters, Deflector Dish, Starship Operations Training, Photonic Theory
shock wave is released from you ship knocking back enemys and inflicting kinetic damage
Note: Photonic Theory lists Photonic Shockwave as a skill it increases. however Photonic Shockwave does not list Photonic Theory as a boosting skill. go figure.

Polarize hull:
Increased by: Hazard System, Starship Emitters, Starship Operations Training
increases damage resistance from energy weapons
breaks tractor beams

Feedback Pulse
Increased by: Deflector Field
Reflects beams back at the target.

Hazard Emitters
Increased by: Emitters, Hazard System, Operations Training
repairs hull, increases damage resistance

Mask Energy Signature
Increased by: Engineering Training, Auxiliary Systems Performance, Auxiliary Systems Maintenance
makes it more difficult for enemys to target you

Transfer Shield Strength
Increased by: Deflector Field, Deflectors, Operations Training, Aux power
boosts allys shields

Charged Particle Burst
Increased by: Astrometrics, Sensors, Operations Training
decloaks nearby ships and damages shields

Energy Siphon
Increased by: Deflector Dish, Deflectors, Operations Training
decreases targets power and increases your own

Scramble Sensors (Note: when you buy this skill for your Officers it is listed as "Jam Target Sensors")
Increased by: Starship Sensors, Sensor Probes, Starship Operations
Enemys target each other.
Effects all enemy ships in a radius from the target.

Photonic Officer
Increased by: Emitters, Theory, Operations Training
reduces recharge time of bridge officers powers (possibly only the officer that has it?)

Tractor Beam repulser
Increased by: Tractor Beams
pushes enemy ships away from you

Tykens Rift
Increased by: Spatial Anomaly, (deflector dish?)
drains power of all nearby enemys and causes minor damage

Player Powers
-------------------------------------

Sensor Scan:
Sensor Scan reduces the Damage Resistance of the Target and nearby hostile ships while increasing your perception, making it easier to detect enemies.
Increased by:
Sensor Array, Starship Sensors, Starship Operations Training
Unlock: Level 8

Subnucleonic Beam:
Increases recharge time of target's powers
Unlock: Level 18

Dampening Field:
Dampening Field projects a shield around your ship, reducing the damage you and nearby allies receive from incoming energy weapon fire.
Unlock: Level 28

Photonic Fleet:
Creates up to three holographic ships that fight at your side.
Increased by: Photonic Theory
Unlock: Level 38

Target Auxiliary/Target Engines/Target Shields/Target Weapons
boosted by: nothing
decreases targeted subsystem with a chance to take offline
Unlock: With Science Ship
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Great post, was searching for what powers are increased by Aux power, and this guide gave me that and more.

I like having "Transfer Shield Strength" but I'm not a tachyon beam user, so it's the only skill I have where I re-rout power to Auxiliary. I'll have to think about this one...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Fantastic post. For days I've been staring at Lt Cmd Starship operations skills wondering what to sink points into. I'll have to do similar to what you did for engineer skills.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
best post i have seen on these forums bar none.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Great Post,

Thank You

Bugshu
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 12:56 AM
also, you may be interested in clicking the link to counters of skills in my signiture for further reading. /shameless self promotion.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 05:01 AM
Great post Dr. Danger. Thanks for collating all that information.
Lt. Commander
# 8 >>>
06-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Dr Danger,

great post dude...

Allfather