Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 81
11-22-2008, 04:29 AM
some random thoughts from me about this interview, probably moving away a bit from your discussion of ships (i am amazed at how familiar with ships some of you seem, i've been watching star trek since TNG was originally aired and ships have always seemed incidental to the missions, so i just don't remember as much as you guys)

i am delighted to see reference to DS9 as a visitable location in the game. this excited me. I was also happy with the mention that there is an emphasis on fun. obviously it is not clear how deaths will be dealt with, but it was something that had been niggling me.

how do people feel about shuttles being pretty much set on "auto"? (or did i pick that up wrong?)

i know a lot of that info was known to those of us that spend a lot of time on forums, but we must remember that they are trying to hook new people in. had i come across this interview six weeks ago it would have answered many a question, many a question i tell you, and i'd have been thrilled with the prospect of the game.

can anyone explain the prhase "modular ships" for me?

i'm wondering if cameos from familiar faces might be in the form of historical flashbacks, holograms etc. So they may be playing recreations of "their" characters. hmmm?

and i hope that nobody is "untouchable", even if they have tirelessly worked their way into the best ship in the fleet. that would really not be in line with the trek experience, imo.

well, my interest has been stoked again Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 82
11-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I wish someone would ask these guys what are the top three games they are looking at for the "shoulds" and "should nots" of MMO's these days. Or has someone already asked?
Lt. Commander
# 83
11-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiXin View Post
I wish someone would ask these guys what are the top three games they are looking at for the "shoulds" and "should nots" of MMO's these days. Or has someone already asked?
I hope nobody asks us that! I don't think there's a good answer to that question. There's such a library of games that we use for our design vocabulary that narrowing it down to 3 would be impossible - not to mention irresponsible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermottgl View Post
i am amazed at how familiar with ships some of you seem
I concur. I've been following this thread for the past couple days and am really excited with how knowledgeable (Trek and MMO) you guys are. It's awesome to see this community thinking about the game as hard as we are! Keep it up! Your ideas help shape the game.

-Zn

Man - I hope this doesn't just illicit "there's no new information in his post!" responses! : )
Lt. Commander
# 84 space combat
11-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Ship combat is paced and more strategic. You’ll have to think about positioning, transferring power to boost weapons or shields, and how to best exploit your opponent’s weaknesses.

That Quote makes the space combat sound limiting? mabey not true real time?

What do you guys think about the space combat?
Lt. Commander
# 85
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
It's awesome to see this community thinking about the game as hard as we are! Keep it up! Your ideas help shape the game.
Shhhhh don't say that you'll only encourage me :p But seriously thanks for stopping by. We all like to know we're being watched.
Lt. Commander
# 86
11-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Quote:
GVK: Will players be able to pilot shuttles in the game and use transporters? If so, how will this work?

CZ: Most of the time, you and your away team will use the transporters. You’ll be beaming all over the place! There will be some content that you need a shuttle to reach, but you won’t be manually flying the shuttle through the atmosphere and landing on the surface of a planet.
I hope they are literal when they say beaming all over the place. I would love to see total control of the transporter locations so I can beam anything or anyone with freedom.

I'm a bit sad about the shuttle info since that seemed like it would've been a fun concept. I noticed they specifically said atmosphere to landing. Maybe they still might add shuttles but just not in that scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 87
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Razor,

As much as I love updates there are so many questions that have been posed, I would hope that your team could review them and start answering questions that have been posted. In my humble opinion these questions could help direct or brain storm for the game, You never know where the imagination can take you unless you consider the options.
Lt. Commander
# 88
11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
Razor,

As much as I love updates there are so many questions that have been posed, I would hope that your team could review them and start answering questions that have been posted. In my humble opinion these questions could help direct or brain storm for the game, You never know where the imagination can take you unless you consider the options.
Just about once a month they do an "Ask Cryptic" thread and answer forum member questions. Three of mine have been answered thus far.
Lt. Commander
# 89
11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm a bit sad about the shuttle info since that seemed like it would've been a fun concept. I noticed they specifically said atmosphere to landing. Maybe they still might add shuttles but just not in that scenario.[/quote]

Not if you could land the ship that would be cool to do sometimes
Lt. Commander
# 90
11-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoner View Post
I'm a bit sad about the shuttle info since that seemed like it would've been a fun concept. I noticed they specifically said atmosphere to landing. Maybe they still might add shuttles but just not in that scenario.
Not if you could land the ship that would be cool to do sometimes