Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
06-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Yes, absolutely they should be heard, which they have been for several days. But when they claim that they are entitled to something that they are not, then they should be shown the error of their ways.
<edited for the sake of playing nice> If I have to pay for something you got for free...how am I entitled to anything? I'm paying for it. I agree that people should not jump on the bandwagon with the "I want this because he has it" nonsense. But if I gotta pay for it...then yes...I'm entitled to it. Again in any business, if you have paying customers screaming for something, its only good business to supply what is being asked for.

The fact that they pay for exclusivity and you didn't would only show that in the end of buying all the cryptic points technically means; they as well paid for the deluxe edition when total money spent is tallied. Maybe even more. Even at the low low price of the STO basic addition at $29.99 getting all of the C-store items means spending at least another $50.- outside of the sub.

So I ask......when all of this is considered...who exactly is entitled to anything? Either way we all paid for it one way of the other.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
06-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Solok

YOU PAY TO PLAY THE GAME!


Personally I wish they didnt give away ANY exclusives!
That's not true and the fact is, they DID sell and market stuff as "exclusives"!

I know several people who paid for multiple copies/keys so they could have all the "exclusive" stuff. They're collectors and fans and they wanted the tribble, the points, the ship, the NX, the Borg etc etc. They bought ALL of it because they wanted to collect it all and they paid for multiple copies of the box and digital copies specifically to receive these EXCLUSIVE items.

To sell something as an "exclusive" just months ago (still even considering original boxes are still on some shelves) and now, just 6 months into the games life, is FOOLISH from a business standpoint. They've just PO'd the very people who invested more than anyone else into their company.

I'm sorry, but this was a tremendous error on Cryptics part for some cheap easy cash...they sold out their biggest fans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUX426 View Post
That's not true and the fact is, they DID sell and market stuff as "exclusives"!

I know several people who paid for multiple copies/keys so they could have all the "exclusive" stuff. They're collectors and fans and they wanted the tribble, the points, the ship, the NX, the Borg etc etc. They bought ALL of it because they wanted to collect it all and they paid for multiple copies of the box and digital copies specifically to receive these EXCLUSIVE items.

To sell something as an "exclusive" just months ago (still even considering original boxes are still on some shelves) and now, just 6 months into the games life, is FOOLISH from a business standpoint. They've just PO'd the very people who invested more than anyone else into their company.

I'm sorry, but this was a tremendous error on Cryptics part for some cheap easy cash...they sold out their biggest fans.
Just let it go guys. Money can be earned. And before any of you accuse me saying that I didn't buy more than one copy of the game for the exclusives. /buzz wrong!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
06-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with the OP. You pay a set price for the game. if you got any other edition other than the standard one, you paid an extra amount on top of the base price of the game for those items. I personally purchased the deluxe download edition for some of it's items. I paid extra to have those from the beginning of my game play. However, those special editions don't last for ever and later down the road are impossible to find.

Now, Cryptic decides to release those item in the C-store for purchase by other players. It's a good way to make some money on transactions and get those items available for everyone that plays. Now the items will be around and available for the entire life of the game. I'm not really upset about this. I paid for the version I got and I was able to use the items before the general populace. I'm not mad that other people have those items now. It's generating money for Cryptic which in turn should be going to support the game.

They knew they were going to implement a store for in game items to be purchased. From a business standpoint, that's a brilliant idea. What I feel they should have done though was actually give players that bought things like the Collectors edition something that wasn't in game which makes the collectors stuff worthwhile. Perhaps something like and Artwork of STO book showing sketches, drawings, and other things. Maybe a DvD on the making of STO. Things like that make for collectors items that people want to keep.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
06-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUX426 View Post
That's not true and the fact is, they DID sell and market stuff as "exclusives"!.
Bingo !

......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
06-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnmstr44 View Post
They knew they were going to implement a store for in game items to be purchased. From a business standpoint, that's a brilliant idea. What I feel they should have done though was actually give players that bought things like the Collectors edition something that wasn't in game which makes the collectors stuff worthwhile. Perhaps something like and Artwork of STO book showing sketches, drawings, and other things. Maybe a DvD on the making of STO. Things like that make for collectors items that people want to keep.
Um...what you're suggesting they do is exactly what they DID and are now backing away from...they offered EXCLUSIVES!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Exclusive has no temporal component to it. It could've been exclusive for five minutes, and they would have honored their agreement.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
<edited for the sake of playing nice> If I have to pay for something you got for free...how am I entitled to anything? I'm paying for it. I agree that people should not jump on the bandwagon with the "I want this because he has it" nonsense. But if I gotta pay for it...then yes...I'm entitled to it. Again in any business, if you have paying customers screaming for something, its only good business to supply what is being asked for.

The fact that they pay for exclusivity and you didn't would only show that in the end of buying all the cryptic points technically means; they as well paid for the deluxe edition when total money spent is tallied. Maybe even more. Even at the low low price of the STO basic addition at $29.99 getting all of the C-store items means spending at least another $50.- outside of the sub.

So I ask......when all of this is considered...who exactly is entitled to anything? Either way we all paid for it one way of the other.
I think you're right for the most part. If you pay for something I got for free, you are entitled to exactly what you paid for. But the problem is that some people think that the incentive is what they have purchased, and the accompanying product is simply an extra. They are wrong, no matter how fervently they believe otherwise.

This is the case with exclusivity: first, they thought that they paid for exclusivity, but they did not. They paid for a game and for access to that game. Some paid for a lifetime subscription to that game, other paid for early access to that game. All of them received what they paid for.

Second, they want to claim that "exclusivity," which they were in fact given, somehow has the meaning of "for all time," but it does not, and never has.

So yes, they want to claim that Cryptic "lied" or "deceived" them. It did not, and they were not harmed in any way: the source of their outrage is their demonstrably false belief that they are entitled to something.

In short, while they have every right to claim that selling these items on the C-Store is unfair, and they probably deserve some sympathy on these grounds, they have absolutely no right to claim that they were misled, deceived, or cheated. The only deception came from their own deluded sense of entitlement.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
06-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUX426 View Post
Um...what you're suggesting they do is exactly what they DID and are now backing away from...they offered EXCLUSIVES!
Please look up "exclusive" and tell us where it says that anything labeled exclusive must remain so forever.

Also, even if you don't have a dictionary handy, do you really want to say that no company has done this before, when it has actually been a standard practice for decades?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
06-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Please look up "exclusive" and tell us where it says that anything labeled exclusive must remain so forever.

Also, even if you don't have a dictionary handy, do you really want to say that no company has done this before, when it has actually been a standard practice for decades?
OK?!

Exclusive:

1 a : excluding or having power to exclude b : limiting or limited to possession, control, or use by a single individual or group
2 a : excluding others from participation b : snobbishly aloof
3 a : accepting or soliciting only a socially restricted patronage (as of the upper class) b : stylish, fashionable c : restricted in distribution, use, or appeal because of expense

Given those definitions, I would say that 1b and 3c best fit what the items were solicited as.

Just because other companies have done it doesn't make it right...and especially just 6 months into the game. Cryptic has lost all credibility for any future "exclusive" ever, as both a company and in regards to STO. This isn't just about the crap in the c-store, it's about deceiving their customers by selling something for more under the pretense of exclusivity and reverting that decision less than 6 months later. It's horrible business practice...common or not.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 PM.