Lt. Commander
# 1 Subscription
06-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Hey Cryptic,

Didn't know where else to put this; feel free to delete or move as needed.

I canceled my subscription tonight after much deliberation. I wanted to give you feedback, as your feedback prompt in the cancellation process was missing what was actually prompting my cancellation.

Ground combat. It is so, so broken. I loved the space combat, but I can't dodge the ground combat enough to actually fully enjoy the game.

Myself and 3 friends bought this, and I am the last one after a few months to still have an active subscription. All of them dropped out much quicker, citing the away missions as the reason. I kept hoping it would somehow get fixed: movement get smoother, skills seem to activate reliably, that sort of thing. And the mashing of 1 and 2. Oh goodness, let it stop.

Anyway. You had something great with the space combat (but PvP is woefully limited), but the ground combat is a deal-breaker.

I tried to enjoy it Cryptic, I really did.

Good luck to all my fellow Captains out there.

Scott
Lt. Commander
# 2 This isn't very specific
06-13-2010, 09:37 PM
This isn't anything constructive Cryptic can use to make things better, this is just kinda complaining...ground combat has certain bugs to be sure...but it's not far from Elite Force...
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-13-2010, 10:12 PM
nope this is where all i quit threads go seconds before they are locked
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Alrighty, I'll try to be a bit more specific. I am following this thread as I was really interested in the game, and maybe one day I will come back to play again, when, in my eyes, things work better.

First off, I'd like to dispell the "You are lagging" and "upgrade your machine" comments that may follow my post. I work for an ISP. I have a 22Mb down and 12Mb up fibre link, with wonderful ping times. I am running a quad core Phenom, with 4GB of RAM, a 512Mb NVidia 250, and plenty of HD space. Everything is ideal for playing.

Ground combat is so disappointing. Pushing a move button sometimes elicits weird movements from your character that don't exactly translate to what you pushed, dpending on your terrain. Sometimes I get knocked down and still manage to activate skills that shouldn't be able to complete, as though I am standing. Sometimes those skills happen (awkwardly, as I am lying on the ground), other times they don't (but the skill starts recharging).

When I stop moving forward, sometimes it doesn't stop as expected, or when expected. Skills sometimes delay oddly, then queue up in a rapid succession. Things don't move smoothly, like I have come to expect from games like Guild Wars or WoW.

Let me be clear: yes, I am comparing STO ground to these other games. Why not? I enjoy those [ground] experiences, and want to enjoy STO's as well. That's why I am posting here, to tell Cryptic what would have kept me (and three of my friends) playing. I'm not QQing, just being honest. I wouldn't have posted here if I was able to leave more detailed info in the "why are you leaving?" question when I scheduled my account for deactivation.

The space combat? Beautiful. That feels polished, refined, fresh, and new. But it really feels like the ground combat is some old engine from a previous game, and it clashes so incredibly badly with the space fluidity that we try to avoid it... and that sucks.

I'd love to come back, Cryptic, but the ground stuff has gotta improve. I'd much rather stay in the ST universe than move to the SW ones that are coming.

Please Cryptic, surprise me!