Lt. Commander
When will planets actually rotate?

I think its unfair that the unites states is always visible in starbase 1 space
The earth should be rotating.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Well I think it's unfair that you are cluttering the forum boards up with completely inane topics like this one...honestly, you don't want more content or a better character creator or more ships or something? You're angry that the Earth doesn't rotate? Wow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I never said I was angry. I just think it would add a bit more realism to planets if they rotated.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseman417 View Post
Well I think it's unfair that you are cluttering the forum boards up with completely inane topics like this one...honestly, you don't want more content or a better character creator or more ships or something? You're angry that the Earth doesn't rotate? Wow.
What the hell is wrong with you? Nothing better to do than present us all with this type of post? The OP has a solid point: News Flash - planets rotate. Secondary News Flash - Planets do not rotate in STO.

I agree that it would be a nice touch to the general atmosphere of the game if this were to happen. It is plainly ridiculous that whatever time you log into the game the same continent is visible from earth space dock.

Just beacuse the OP brought this up does not mean he/she does not also want the other things you mention. I for one havn;t seen a single post about rotating planets before but I have seen a thousand about the things you mention. So what is more valuable yet another post about the stuff we all know or a new post with an original point of view.

You are the reason these forums are such a mess.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 03:10 AM
I figure if they can add cat-people for the 11 or 12 people that begged for them then adding some rotation is not asking a lot. The planet is a 3D object already. No need to add extra art, just rotate the object.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-16-2010, 03:19 AM
The Starbase is in a geostationary orbit, obviously! It's not ridiculous at all that the USA would always be visible -- it was almost certainly by design, since Starfleet HQ is in San Fransisco. And I say this as a Brit who hates it when maps are centred on the USA instead of on the Prime Meridian in London.

Anyway, if they really wanted to do this, they can clearly rotate textures like clouds around the planet, so there shouldn't be too many technical problems with rotating the planet textures themselves, I'd imagine.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mise View Post
The Starbase is in a geostationary orbit, obviously! It's not ridiculous at all that the USA would always be visible -- it was almost certainly by design, since Starfleet HQ is in San Fransisco. And I say this as a Brit who hates it when maps are centred on the USA instead of on the Prime Meridian in London.

Anyway, if they really wanted to do this, they can clearly rotate textures like clouds around the planet, so there shouldn't be too many technical problems with rotating the planet textures themselves, I'd imagine.
Then the Sun, the Moon, and the stars would appear to move, which they don't. And you are correct there shouldn't be too much trouble in rotating the planet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Well I play at roughly the same time every day, so I can pretend it's for that reason