Lt. Commander
There have been alot of requests for player crew throughout STO's development, and while it is almost certain that whatever happens will not satisfy everyone, I have a fairly simple idea for a limited player crew mechanic.

Forming a crew: To form a crew all you would have to do is invite someone to join your group. If you have a friend who you want to be part of your crew, you invite him(and anyone else) to join your group, and then launch into space.

Crew View: Since the mechanics do not currently exist for bridge view combat, lets go ahead and toss that idea out and assume that every member of the player crew would have an exterior view of the ship like we all currently have in game. The difference is instead of everyone having a view of their own ship, they would all have a view of the captain's ship.

Function: In a guild, the leader can grant certain abilities to the officers. For example, you can grant an officer the ability to invite other people to the guild. Similarly, the captain of the ship would be able to grant access to certain functions of their ship to the members of his player crew aka group. For examples, the captain would be able to grand access to "weapons" to one group member and then that group member would be able to fire the weapons of the ship. The same would be true of "shields" and any other main ship function that currently exists. Of course, the captain would still have full control over the ship's functions, and could still use the weapons/shields whenever he wanted if a group member logged off or went AFK or whatever.

The way I imagine it, there are about 4 main "jobs" that would be open to player crews: steering, weapons, shields, and BO specials. Assuming everyone in a player crew was using something like Ventrilo, the captain could tell the crew members where to maneuver, when to fire, what shield to reinforce, and what specials to use. The captain would also have the main "function" command for interacting with objects.

So to summarize, you invite people to join your group and you launch into space. Everyone see the captain's ship and can perform any ship action the captain grants them access to. When you beam down to a planet, everyone is together like a normal group of players doing a ground mission. This would allow players to explore together without having a bunch of ships and give crew members something to do.

/discuss
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-16-2010, 05:00 PM
The discussion of crewed ships started very early on. Check out these archive threads on the subject.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...4208&highlight

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=3749

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=4435

It would not be an over-statement to say that player-crewed ships where a feature considered to be "make or break" for STO by7 a large number of potential players, myself included. Not that we considered it necessary that starships only operate with multiple players, only that the option was fundamental to creating an engagin Star Trek experience.

The fact that this was left out kept many, many people from buying and playing STO at all. I am one of them and am only here now since there is a free trial. I came around solely to see just how poorly this game conveyed the Star Trek experience. I felt this was required if I were ever to reference STO in future "what not to do" threads about other games.

Suffice it to say that STO was and is the largest wasted opportunity in MMO history- A game that could so easily have been monstrous has been rendered pathetic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivniciix View Post
Suffice it to say that STO was and is the largest wasted opportunity in MMO history- A game that could so easily have been monstrous has been rendered pathetic.
I'd say that SWG was a larger wasted opportunity, mainly because they HAD a solid foundation for building to greatness, and seemed to go out of their way to ruin it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
I'd say that SWG was a larger wasted opportunity, mainly because they HAD a solid foundation for building to greatness, and seemed to go out of their way to ruin it.
mmm...fair enough. Perhaps SW:TOR will redeem that IP as an MMO...which means we may have to wait for someone to time shift the Star Trek IP and start fresh to redeem it too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm all for 'crew' but I'd rather more 'jobs'. Instead of Tac/Sci/Eng, you could be a "Doctor" or something. It would be a hybrid between Sci & Eng. Or a Sci who heals like crazy, but doesn't debuff as much.

Crew would be fun, but only after I get to be a Doctor or Counselor on your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Quote:
The discussion of crewed ships started very early on.
Like I said in the first sentence of my post.

Quote:
Not that I disagree, but that has nothing to do with ideas for how to improve the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I just noticed you've been around since 08 so you probably didn't need the reminder of how long player crews have been an issue but, unless Cryptic has let slip that they intend to consider implementing it now, I have to think it's a completely dead issue.

A read through the links I posted will convince anyone that many of us offered detailed and well thought out advice on how player crews could work two years ago. This was before Cryptic and made any statement at all about whether it was possible or under consideration. ( Before the "You are the Captain" statement was even made or clarified)

Cryptic never spoke to any of the input that was given and, instead, behaved as though they'd just gotten the brand name Coca Cola but could fill the bottles with pee from now on. If you sense a bit of anger, it stems from the investment many, many people felt and still feel in the ST IP.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
I just noticed you've been around since 08 so you probably didn't need the reminder of how long player crews have been an issue but, unless Cryptic has let slip that they intend to consider implementing it now, I have to think it's a completely dead issue.

A read through the links I posted will convince anyone that many of us offered detailed and well thought out advice on how player crews could work two years ago. This was before Cryptic and made any statement at all about whether it was possible or under consideration. ( Before the "You are the Captain" statement was even made or clarified)

Cryptic never spoke to any of the input that was given and, instead, behaved as though they'd just gotten the brand name Coca Cola but could fill the bottles with pee from now on. If you sense a bit of anger, it stems from the investment many, many people felt and still feel in the ST IP.
Unfortunately, I think alot of the ideas for player crews that have been proposed involve mechanics that do not currently exist in game, which is one reason the Devs have not given the much though. However, if you have read my OP, you will see that this really does not involve anything new and should seemingly work with the mechanics we already have.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

I've not seen any proposals for player crews that don't fail or become irrelevant without a reliable permagroup, involve splitting out existing gameplay tasks to an extremely boring extent, and fail to address the issue of the 'captain' role just realistically consisting of someone sitting on voice chat yelliing "more power to the shields!" I don't think many people would find player crews to meet their dream expectations even if the STO dev team were miracle workers.

Player crews belong in text sims and tabletop RPGs, which I participate in and face enough hassle in those mediums.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Player crews in an MMO is a fundamentally flawed conept.

You'll probably realize that yorself if you try and design a complete system for it (not just the big picture but all those develish details that you glossed over in your original description). Remember that your system has to be able to:
1. handle flaky players who show up late or not at all but expect to be able to jump rite in when they do show up, and leave whenever they feal like it.
2. handle anti-social players who can't keep 4 friends around for long, who think it's funny to be the week link who brings everybody down, or can't tolerate anything less that a likely imagined level of perfection in others.
3. handle groups with vastly different amounts of free time (ie captain has a job and family but chief engineer is a middle-schooler on summer break).
4. it has to be a more engaging experience that the status quoe (otherwise no one will use it and it would be a waste of development time)

and the coup de gras
You can't give any competative advantage to the multi-crewed ships because the game has already been marketed as allowing every player to command their own ship and much of the playerbase would be angered if they percieved this had been changed.