Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic, there are literally hundreds of threads with enough "nerd rages" to give some of the folks heartattack. What are the threads about? It's as to whether the AGT Galaxy Cruiser will remain only through the Referral Promotion or it will eventually be accessible via C-Store.

When I cruise around with the AGT Galaxy Cruiser, the general consensus of the majority of the people who don't have the ship seems to be that they will not participate in the Referral Promotion program because they are extremely confident that the ship will eventually be available through C-Store.

Making so many of the "exclusive" items available through C-Store generated a bad precedent. Now, almost everyone seems to think that any items available through special promotion from Cryptics will be handed out later through C-Store at petty price and there's absolutely no reason to participate in these promotion.

Dear Cryptic, we beg you. Could you please give us an answer as to whether the ship will be sold in the C-Store later? It would be extremely disheartening for those who spent possibly weeks to recruit five people to get a beautiful ship (or let alone, those who spent their own money), to learn that several months from now, the ship will be available via C-Store.

Dear Cryptic, please. Give us an answer so all of us can stop arguing and move on? Just one thread of your answer will stop clogging your forum with hundreds of unneeded threads regarding this issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Yes I would greatly appreciate an answer to this question also.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-16-2010, 07:33 PM
/signed me too but they have set a bad precedent by putting the exclusives in the cstore now the message is if We whine hard enough cryptic will give us what we want
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
/signed me too but they have set a bad precedent by putting the exclusives in the cstore now the message is if We whine hard enough cryptic will give us what we want
Agree now anyone who wants anything will just complain endlessly
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
I can see why some are upset over the offering of pre-order items via the C-Store after buying multiple copies but as has been pointed out numerous times the pre-order FAQ made it pretty clear they would likely be available at some point after launch. For me personally I only got one version, I looked at what I'd likely prefer and picked that. Would I have bought more copies if I had the money in order to get more of the pre-order items? No. The thought didn't even enter my mind at the time and reading that others had done so was quite baffling to me. However, that was my choice just as it was everyone elses choice to buy more than one copy if they chose to despite the pre-order FAQ stating what it does.

With regards to the referral program, and I speak for myself here even if I'm pretty sure lots of others feel similarly, I wouldn't refer anyone I know to the game because it is lacking so much right now. Even if I ignore that and went down the "I want" route doing anything to get friends into the game I'd have a difficult time because nobody I know is interested in Star Trek. It may be well known but a subscription MMO is not something everyone is willing to accept.

The referral program reward is pretty fantastic for Cryptic because it clearly has people doing whatever it takes to get referrals in when they otherwise wouldn't. The referral program is pretty pathetic because people that come in will end up where a lot of us are now in a month - stuck with a game that has a lot of bugs, some worse than others, a lack of content variation and can see you reach maximum level then sit around doing dailies waiting for future content patches.

Do I think the Galaxy X will be available at a later date? Honestly, yes. Why? It's in relatively high demand and after the referral push has been done to death with no more interest generated due to bad feelings toward it or other reasons letting a potentially large cash cow sit there unmilked is bad business. If there's one thing a lot of people like to point out it's that Cryptic is a business, they make games but they still want as much money as possible from those games.

If you look at it from that point of view here's what seems plausible to me. After a few months or more of referral only it may be released on the C-Store. Given that the TOS Enterprise was released at 800 points (madness...) and that's a T1 starter ship I'd be amazed to see it on the store for less than 5,000 points. Ignoring the cost of that it would annoy and upset anyone that's gone out to get referrals, whether they've bought the game five times and done it that way or pushed the game on friends, foes, strangers etc. Would that really matter though? I hate to be blunt and cold about it but the money generated from the spike in referrals would likely be gone and the potential loss of customers would very likely be overshadowed by income from C-Store purchases of the ship. That's my opinion and thoughts on it
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyonas View Post
letting a potentially large cash cow sit there unmilked is bad business.
This one statement is the only thing that matters, and it equates to another statement from Stat Trek lore...The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. If people look at it that way, then the needs of the many would equal Cryptic's need to provide; seems like the logical way to do business, elitists be damned.

I for one don't care what they sell, it's their game, not ours...we only rent it for a short while.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-16-2010, 11:25 PM
here here...

but at the same time if i hear its going on the cstore... bye bye sto... ive played and bought a lifetime sub...but to be honest...its gettin get to the point that all the carebears which is a HUGE amount is that if they cry hard enouph youlll just do it... This item should remain exclusive to referal program. And I would also love to hear a response to this question.

on a personal note...if people want the ship...they can work for it instead of sittin on there butts and doin nothing other then purchasing cryptic points and getting gear... some things need to be exclusive "perminantly". Just my thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I've already done the work and will shortly have my Galaxy X, i would like it to remain an exclusive.....sadly i am nearly %100 percent certain it will end up in the Cstore for next to nothing within a short period of time.

This will be my experiment......IF it does show up in the Cstore then i will no longer feel the need to put forth any effort/money to obtain items when they first come out as its more economical to wait for it to show up in the cstore at a substantial reduction in pirce.

I won't cry fowl if cryptic puts it in the Cstore as they are out to make money, i don't have to like their methods. This will simply decide if i put up the time/money to obtain xxx object at release or simply bide my time and pick it up for next to nothing later.....i'm mostly just getting stuff for collection purposes.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm sure you guys referred people to play STO is because the game is cool and you want them to experience it for themselves right? I'm also very sure that even without any incentives, all of you would still refer people right?

Or did I just cook up a whole bunch of BS?
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
I actually paid for the game/gametime for some friends so they could give it a whirl....IF they like it they can pay me back. No i honestly wouldn't try to con anyone into paying for STO at this time. Improvements are being made, but it is nowhere near the point i could justify trying to convince people to buy it right now.

and yes you did cook up a big 'ol pot of BS