Lt. Commander
Here's a question that has alway's bothered me about Holodeck's and the such.

In Episode 3 of Season 2 TNG, "Elementary dear Data", a holographic life form is created. It was one of the first, if not the first to be created. Now seeing as how the Holodeck work's on the same principle as the Transporter, why hasn't it been concluded that with the proper pattern, that lifeform can be literally beaned into a physical construct and given a human form?

Obviously it would take more work on the part of the person interest, but in the Star Trek Universe, you'd think something like this would have been attempted.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Holodeck technology is based on matter stream transporter systems. But is achieved by a combination of light and forcefields to create the protons. Thus most things will dissappear after leaving the holodeck. The fist episode of TNG showed Wesley Crusher still wet after leaving the holodeck, if I remember correctly. So some simple things such as water can be 'replicated.' There was another instance, maybe in Voyager, where holographic organs were made. Though the patient had to remain in sickbay while new ones were being synthesized. The EMH on Voyager also could not leave until he had his mobile emmitter. The replicators that they got their food and other things from were able to replicate simple life forms, including worm things that appeared to move. But they could not replicate more complex life forms.

I hope that answered your question. Eventually as replicator and holographic systems continue to improve - as more ways are also made to make holograms mobile - there could be a way to make more complex life forms from holograms.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NidStyles View Post
Here's a question that has alway's bothered me about Holodeck's and the such.

In Episode 3 of Season 2 TNG, "Elementary dear Data", a holographic life form is created. It was one of the first, if not the first to be created. Now seeing as how the Holodeck work's on the same principle as the Transporter, why hasn't it been concluded that with the proper pattern, that lifeform can be literally beaned into a physical construct and given a human form?

Obviously it would take more work on the part of the person interest, but in the Star Trek Universe, you'd think something like this would have been attempted.
I can't be stuffed rewatching it right now but if you watch this episodes direct sequal, Season 6 episode 12 "Ship in a Bottle" they explain exactly why.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Trust me, you're asking a question that has been the source of nitpicks and changed premises for quite a while in the Star Trek world. In fact, the holodeck has been the most glitchy system on a starship, when you think about it.

Elementary, Dear Data came off the premise of The Big Goodbye, in which a holodeck created mob boss was "beaten" when he walked off the hologrid, and proceeded to dissolve into nothing in the middle of the corridor. Along with all his, and his bodyguard's belongings.

Skip ahead... Ship In A Bottle. Picard throws a book out of the holodeck doors. Not only does it disintigrate, it does so right at the door threshold.

Back to Elementary, Dear Data. Data and Geordi come walking out of the holodeck. Data's obviously agitated. Geordi asks why, and Data shows him a piece of paper with the Enterprise side shot drawn on it. A piece of paper created in the holodeck. In fact, that sheet of paper made it all the way through a staff briefing.

In short, they had no clue themselves how the holodeck operates, cuz it changed functions from one show to the next.