Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So there's been a little chatter lately about the recent move to put bonus items on the C-Store. I think I've seen a thread or two about it.

Thing is ... we all forgot that STO is an MMORPG. The RPG part being important here.

Cryptic is merely roleplaying part of the Ferengi Alliance.

And thus ... this move can be explained by two rules of acquisition.

The First Rule ...


Quote:
Once you have their money, you never give it back.
This rule covers the Lifetimer Subscriber aspect of the ongoing discussion. It would seem that lifers forgot the very first rule of acquisition. They paid for a lifetime sub, but were ignoring how ferengi treat the act of money changing hands. It's probably part of Cryptic's ongoing inter-office RPG campaign that this came to a head like it did. It is, after all the very first rule of acquisition. So it would have to be a basic aspect of any RPG module or campaign they're running.


And the 239th Rule ...


Quote:
Never be afraid to mislabel a product.
This rule is the crux of the argument itself for the people complaining. They forgot that Ferengi are ... cutthroat business people. And this quote is a tenet that they do business by. So to tell a Ferengi that you the consumer were deceived by the labeling on their product ... isn't going to get you anywhere.

For further research ...

The Rules of Acquisition
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
So there's been a little chatter lately about the recent move to put bonus items on the C-Store. I think I've seen a thread or two about it.

Thing is ... we all forgot that STO is an MMORPG. The RPG part being important here.

Cryptic is merely roleplaying part of the Ferengi Alliance.

And thus ... this move can be explained by two rules of acquisition.

The First Rule ...




This rule covers the Lifetimer Subscriber aspect of the ongoing discussion. It would seem that lifers forgot the very first rule of acquisition. They paid for a lifetime sub, but were ignoring how ferengi treat the act of money changing hands. It's probably part of Cryptic's ongoing inter-office RPG campaign that this came to a head like it did. It is, after all the very first rule of acquisition. So it would have to be a basic aspect of any RPG module or campaign they're running.


And the 239th Rule ...




This rule is the crux of the argument itself for the people complaining. They forgot that Ferengi are ... cutthroat business people. And this quote is a tenet that they do business by. So to tell a Ferengi that you the consumer were deceived by the labeling on their product ... isn't going to get you anywhere.

For further research ...

The Rules of Acquisition
Although I know I disagree on your stance (from most the posts I've read before), I must admit, this post is ingenious at best. =P
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Too Funny!


I have one that I would like to add.

Buyer Beware (aka know what you are buying)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Many rules of acquisition can be used for these situations.

For instance, with all the 'compansation' threads there's rule of acquisition 98; Every man has his price.

For the whole thing there's also rule of acquisition 17; a contract is a contract is a contract... but only between ferengi.

In regards to everyone asking if they'll release other exclusives in the c-store is rule of acquisition 208; sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is the answer.

Whenever they make a change based on some of the peoples wants there's always rule of acquisition 285: no good deed goes unpunished.

And finally a good one to remember for forums in general is rule of acquisition 190; hear all, trust nothing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Too Funny!


I have one that I would like to add.

Buyer Beware (aka know what you are buying)
If you're going to quote translations of Latin terms for doing business, it would help to know what the actual meaning of the term is. It would also help to use the proper acronyms, as I will demonstrate.

You mean "Caveat Emptor" i.e. "let the buyer beware" not "know what you are buying," but "the buyer is responsible for being mislead by the seller". By the way "aka" means "also known as." Aka is used when giving a name for something or someone, then giving a nickname, or vice versa. (Oh look, another Latin term.) For instance "Michael Jackson aka Wacko Jacko". The acronym you're looking for is "ie" which means "id est". This is latin for "that is", i.e. that is to say that "i.e." means "that is to say".

My response to Caveat Emptor is Caveat Venditor, i.e. Let the seller beware. In otherwords "the seller is responsible for misleading the buyer".

To Tendel, your argument is a hindsight is 20/20 thing. In hindsight, I had no indication that the MU uniform would ever be given out. Infact, Daeke even said that it would not be given out any way other than the COLTS. As such, even then, the whole "listen" and "read the fine print" nonsesnse does not work. I read the fineprint, I listened to what was being said by Cryptic. They actually did mislead me, no tinfoil hats required. I did not mislead myself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
If you're going to quote translations of Latin terms for doing business, it would help to know what the actual meaning of the term is. It would also help to use the proper acronyms, as I will demonstrate.

You mean "Caveat Emptor" i.e. "let the buyer beware" not "know what you are buying," but "the buyer is responsible for being mislead by the seller". By the way "aka" means "also known as." Aka is used when giving a name for something or someone, then giving a nickname, or vice versa. (Oh look, another Latin term.) For instance "Michael Jackson aka Wacko Jacko". The acronym you're looking for is "ie" which means "id est". This is latin for "that is", i.e. that is to say that "i.e." means "that is to say".

My response to Caveat Emptor is Caveat Venditor, i.e. Let the seller beware. In otherwords "the seller is responsible for misleading the buyer".
Sorry I was translating from the original Ferengi, and my Ferengi is not that strong.

Metallurgist, bitter much?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Sorry I was translating from the original Ferengi, and my Ferengi is not that strong.
Oh? What was the original Ferengi? Since we don't have the Ferengi alphabet availible to us, please give your closest phonetic guess. Also, please provide canonical citation as to the Ferengi language.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Expired comment
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
In regards to caveats, I lean towards caveat subscriptor.
Please explain? This should be entertaining to say the least.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 AM.