Lt. Commander
# 11
06-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Have to say though, i have yet to see ANY false advertising from Cryptic.
Just because things change a few months down the road does not make any advertising false.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Chief Engineer springs to mind! That marvellous Irish actor - Colm Meaney.

Pretty sure the "license agreement" allows Cryptic/Atari to change the game as they see fit at there leisure.

So far has been for the betterment of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Exclusive means exclusive. Unique means unique. There is no time expiration implied or alluded to by the definitions of either of those words and since no mention of such a time expiration was on any of the packaging or advertisements, that is by definition False Advertising regardless of what Cryptic's Terms of Use say they can do with the game.

Anyone who knows me knows that I was a die hard fan. A devoted follower of Cryptic not only for STO but for all of their games. This devotion was to the company created by Jack Emmert and the integrity he showed in his decisions for the development of the games and how they would conduct business.

It is such integrity that has kept the CoH CE "exclusive" from becoming available to the general public. That integrity still holds with the old Cryptic team, now the developers known as Paragon Studios, who still develop CoH and CoV. It does not however hold true of Cryptic's new incarnation. And that is because Jack Emmert no longer has any control over the marketing decisions of the company.

Those are the facts as I see them.

This is my last word on the subject and my last post in this argument.
I'm already establishing myself on other game forums.

Enjoy the game for as long as it lasts.
Farewell.

Lt. Commander
# 14
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
[color="Wheat"]Exclusive means exclusive. Unique means unique. There is no time expiration implied or alluded to by the definitions of either of those words and since no mention of such a time expiration was on any of the packaging or advertisements, that is by definition False Advertising regardless of what Cryptic's Terms of Use say they can do with the game.

Sorry to see you go but I do have to disagree with your reasoning.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Exclusive means exclusive. Unique means unique. There is no time expiration implied or alluded to by the definitions of either of those words and since no mention of such a time expiration was on any of the packaging or advertisements, that is by definition False Advertising regardless of what Cryptic's Terms of Use say they can do with the game.
Unfortunately for you, the history of the word "exclusive" disagrees with you. But thanks for playing!
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Quote:

Anyone who knows me knows that I was a die hard fan. A devoted follower of Cryptic not only for STO but for all of their games. This devotion was to the company created by Jack Emmert and the integrity he showed in his decisions for the development of the games and how they would conduct business.

It is such integrity that has kept the CoH CE "exclusive" from becoming available to the general public. That integrity still holds with the old Cryptic team, now the developers known as Paragon Studios, who still develop CoH and CoV. It does not however hold true of Cryptic's new incarnation. And that is because Jack Emmert no longer has any control over the marketing decisions of the company.

This is my last word on the subject and my last post in this argument.
I'm already establishing myself on other game forums.

Enjoy the game for as long as it lasts.
Farewell.

Yup, Exclusive means exclusive.

Example. Borg BO is exclusive to copies of STO purchased from Amazon.
Example. TOS Enterprise is exclusive to copies of STO purchased from Gamestop.

Unique means unique, One of a kind, Special. The Borg BO and TOS Enterprise are both unique, special, one of a kind. You can't buy them from the shipyard nor the officer store, you have to buy copies of the game from Amazon or Gamestop, but now you can buy them from the C-Store, all of which costs money.

I don't see a problem with that. But too bad you wont reply anymore since you're leaving. Sad.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, since it's not an "I quit" thread, you have done a pretty good job of not quitting.

But I seriously wish you wold reconsider- STO seems to fit you very well.

After all, where else can you post so eloquently about the deep sense of betrayal you feel, or how, despite wanting nothing but the best for the game, you have been ignored by the harsh masters who only seek a profit, or how those same fiendish developers utterly ruined the universe you loved by twisting words like "exclusive" into meaning exactly what they mean in the English language.

And how, although you are leaving, your departure is delayed by the utter necessity of one more post, one more chance at playing the passive-aggressive martyr, lest nobody notice that you have gone.

Or how, although it has nothing to do with such trivial things as C-Store items, you find it important to prolong the quitting in order to tell us one more time that "exclusive" means exactly what you want it to mean.

Luckily, however, your selfless service shall continue in your uniform thread, where, although you leave because you can no longer suffer the slings and arrows of a heartless corporation, you shall return to deliver unto us the "canon" All Good Things uniform colors. Mankind can only weep at such noble sacrifices.

In short, you could have said goodbye in a much classier fashion, and it probably would have been well-received. Instead, you chose the passive-aggressive path, and took one more opportunity to remind us all that because you did not get your way, you're taking your tots and going home.

Good luck in the future, and I wish you luck in finding another game and developer who will treat you so poorly.

Thanks for playing!
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Like your guide, Blackavaar. I use it for my ToS themed Characters. It is nicely done, being a LTS, like a lot of us here, check back in later on and see if they plugged the holes and put out the fires. I still have hope, I payed for the LTS as well, so that, and my voice is all that have. I do suggest you drop by occasionally, and give out some ideas, give the devs and the community your "two cents" if you well.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
Well, since it's not an "I quit" thread, you have done a pretty good job of not quitting.

After all, where else can you post so eloquently about the deep sense of betrayal you feel, or how, despite wanting nothing but the best for the game, you have been ignored by the harsh masters who only seek a profit, or how those same fiendish developers utterly ruined the universe you loved by twisting words like "exclusive" into meaning exactly what they mean in the English language.

And how, although you are leaving, your departure is delayed by the utter necessity of one more post, one more chance at playing the passive-aggressive martyr, lest nobody notice that you have gone.

Or how, although it has nothing to do with such trivial things as C-Store items, you find it important to prolong the quitting in order to tell us one more time that "exclusive" means exactly what you want it to mean.

Luckily, however, your selfless service shall continue in your uniform thread, where, although you leave because you can no longer suffer the slings and arrows of a heartless corporation, you shall return to deliver unto us the "canon" All Good Things uniform colors. Mankind can only weep at such noble sacrifices.

In short, you could have said goodbye in a much classier fashion, and it probably would have been well-received. Instead, you chose the passive-aggressive path, and took one more opportunity to remind us all that because you did not get your way, you're taking your tots and going home.

Good luck in the future, and I wish you luck in finding another game and developer who will treat you so poorly.

Thanks for playing!
I agree with you 100% Joe! I won't be surprised if we see more of these threads.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue

Thanks for playing!
rofl

10/characters