Lt. Commander
# 11
06-14-2010, 12:56 AM
bravo, very impressive
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-14-2010, 02:35 AM
thanks for all the hard work

next time you run some tests like this would you be able to include a table for range as well? would be interesting to know how fast and at what range cannons and beams drop off

edit: just hope your up for all the rage you will prob get from the people who are in love with their 8 beam cruiser set up
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
I also used your thread to help notice the issues that could arise when the weapon energy scale would be changed to make lower energy weapon builds more viable. http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2751538

If you're not quite sick of testing, it might be interesting to see how an "all front DPS" build using turrets and dual heavy cannons actually works.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for going though all of this again!

This definitely will come in handy!
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NzFox
thanks for all the hard work

next time you run some tests like this would you be able to include a table for range as well? would be interesting to know how fast and at what range cannons and beams drop off

edit: just hope your up for all the rage you will prob get from the people who are in love with their 8 beam cruiser set up
I think that the range drop off was already tested on The Engine's Cannae Take It! Here's a link. As far as I know, the range drop off has not been changed. That was the reason I tried to stay under 1 KM because after 1 KM beam damage starts to drop off (with cannons it doesn't happen until 2 KM but then it drops off more quickly).

As far as 8 beam boats go, I think it's important for people to be aware of what's really happening. You can still make 8 beams work, it's just you need more power. Since cruisers get so many Eng BO abilities carrying a couple Emergency Power To Weapons isn't that difficult.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Extremely useful. Thank you a lot for the graphs and explanations.

Your tests confirmed my idea to switch from a 3+1 Torp Front, 3+1 Torp Rear cruiser setup to a 1 DBB+2BA+1Torp front setup. Only having a 5 beam broadside can help recover some energy and I like the somewhat stronger front array with a stronger BO through the DBB.

I specced 9 in Auxiliary System Performance and 6 in Weapon System Performance and it really pays off to have that +7 extra weapon power, basically a free console. Together with 3-4 Weapon Power consoles I can keep the 5-6 beams running without major drop. If I run a 2 Resist Consoles + 2 Weapon Power or 4 Weapon Power consoles or whatever console mix setup depends on the situation and my mood.

It also shows that it is easily possible to run a BoP with 2 or even 3 resist consoles and still maintain high weapon power levels with DHCs.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-18-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks a lot! This thread answered all the questions I had about a new setup for my assault cruiser at once :-)

Really great work! I love reading your tests!

So is the difference with and without EPS consoles really zero since the new patch? You used a flow regulator even if you stated yourself that this is not supposed to make a difference... Did you also test if there really was no effect on weapons damage any more?
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-18-2010, 04:15 AM
Very impressive work. Sticky please.

I might just go ahead and change my build a bit now.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Excellent guide, Nagorak!
This thread deserves a sticky!!
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenwolf View Post
So is the difference with and without EPS consoles really zero since the new patch? You used a flow regulator even if you stated yourself that this is not supposed to make a difference... Did you also test if there really was no effect on weapons damage any more?
I ran a few "eyeball" tests and really couldn't see a difference, but I haven't run a comprehensive test yet. The main reason I used the EPS flow regulator was so that after dropping out of full impulse it took less time for my power to come back. That way I didn't have to wait for a few more seconds before entering the battle.

Also, I had started testing with it in for the first few tests and then didn't want to change anything up for the rest of the tests. In retrospect, I should have used 2 MK VIII EPS flow regulators to take even the chance of it effecting energy regen out of the equation (by having more than sufficient EPS flow installed).

I can say with fairly high confidence that I don't believe the EPS flow makes a difference for beams. Because cannon energy regen is, in my opinion, bugged it may still help there. If you put a gun to my head and made me give an answer, I'd have to say that I currently don't think it makes a difference. I intended to run a test just to be sure, but I was so burned out on testing that I had to take a break and actually play the game for a while. Maybe I can try to get to it today.