Lt. Commander
# 1 Mask Energy SIgnature...
06-19-2010, 08:02 AM
... does it do anything?

In a test in Kerrat, I plonked MES II on my carrier and a friendly Fed tested how far away he could see me...

...26 km...

...i.e. the same distance I could see him
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
... does it do anything?

In a test in Kerrat, I plonked MES II on my carrier and a friendly Fed tested how far away he could see me...

...26 km...

...i.e. the same distance I could see him
It only works against NPCs, it is useless in PvP.....

Reason being is because in the Beta, it was the Federation's stealth ability but Cryptic nerfed it down because they found stealth vs. stealth PvP to be incredibly boring and just not fun at all...
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
It only works against NPCs, it is useless in PvP.....

Reason being is because in the Beta, it was the Federation's stealth ability but Cryptic nerfed it down because they found stealth vs. stealth PvP to be incredibly boring and just not fun at all...
No, they did not nerf it because it was "boring" it was because many Klingon players complained over and over. Naturally the nerfing led to the "fed-ball" tactic being the only one left.... Which some Klingons complained about as well... Lol.

MES is somewhat pointless now as even in PvE the NPCs will see you quite a ways out. With MES III, in a sci ship, with captain skills trained, and +sensor array gear (so as +MES as you can get) in PvP, players will easily see you beyond 10k. So do not waste a slot.

Here is some history:

Changing Mes

MES Should Be Removed Or Retooled

Game Breakers: Lack of PvP Merits, Mask Energy Signature, Reverse Shield Polarity

Mse

Lololololo Why Did Fed Cloak?

I look forward to the Romulans as they will have cloak (regardless if some Klingons complain)... And then we have have stealh on stealh battles again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah what ticks me off is that there are some powers that are just crazy and then there are some powers that are like are you kidding me. Every power should be useful and thats just not the case though. We should have many more options for builds than we do yet we don't because most of the powers are a waste of time. Well at least half of them are I hardly ever see anyone use emergency to engines. Extend shields should be about as useful as transfer shield strength. I don't really see torpedo spread being used often either. Nor Fire at Will either just to name a few. I also think it's time for some new powers to be added to the game as well. Like each faction should get their own list of faction specific powers i think Klingons should get some Klingon specific powers that Feds can't get and vice versa. As it stands now only thing klingons get over feds is a cloak. Which honestly never makes sense to me Klingons being honor bound and all you would think they would appreciate a fair head to head fight and using skill to defeat their opponents rather than ambush and cunning. The latter is more suited for Romulans. So the entire idea of Klingons in the Star Trek universe having cloaking devices seems like something they just wouldn't use. They want the glory of battle they don't want to catch their opponent without any weapons unready to fight and just blow them up what kind of song or story would that make for. In cases where it's like a Bird of Prey vs a Galaxy class starship where the BOP is clearly outmatched across the board then I can see the use of a cloak being possibly permitted as something that would even out the battle and the tales that could be told of how one great BOP captain destroyed the flagship of the 7th fleet by uncloaking and getting that first strike in that damaged his prey enough to make it possible to defeat her where it would normally have simply been impossible.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-19-2010, 07:43 PM
1. Wall-of-text critical hit... use paragraphs

2. Klingons use cloak because they use cloak in the TV shows and flicks

3. By your logic no submarine crew has any honour. No sniper has any honour. No soldier who does not stand up and invite the enemy to shoot at them has any honour. In short, anyone who fights in a way to maximise their chances of completing their mission successfully by using every advantage available to them has no honour... hmmm. Well are the Federation without honour because they use shields?

Do the Klingons in the TV shows/movies/STO game ever get killed even though they have cloaked ships? Well yes, they often lose battles and end up dead.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-20-2010, 12:41 AM
good lord, I remember those posts. So many people that I played the open beta with are now gone. I remember so many of them, they were the coolest klinks ever. I wish I could see them again, now that I actually know what I'm talking about (god, I was such a noob back in the open beta).
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I tired this on my carrier before in pvp and it was mildly effective. I do have a ton of points, consoles, and defectlor contributing to sensors though which gave me a -3,300% stealth rating. Its hard to tell when people could see me but ships never seemed to take notice until I moved within 10km. Anyway back in my bop now so not using that skill any more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3t3rH
I tired this on my carrier before in pvp and it was mildly effective. I do have a ton of points, consoles, and defectlor contributing to sensors though which gave me a -3,300% stealth rating. Its hard to tell when people could see me but ships never seemed to take notice until I moved within 10km. Anyway back in my bop now so not using that skill any more.
Oh they saw you

My test had a good deflector and a pile of consoles to buff the stealth as far as possible... I could be see at 26 km