Lt. Commander
In the IKS Gorkon novels, Star Trek author Keith R.A. DeCandido introduces a new race of Children of San-Tarah.

"The Children of San-Tarah are furred bipeds- a humanoid species covered in fur. They have pointed ears, long snouts instead of noses, and lipless mouths. Their teeth are as sharp as Klingon teeth, if not sharper, and they have three fingers and a thumb on each hand. Both their fingers and their padded feet end in sharp claws. San-Tarah use both their claws and feet in battle, in addition to their bladed weapons. (GKN novel: A Good Day to Die)" (quote taken from the Memory Beta wiki).

This race seems to be a perfect fit for a "furry" Klingon race. They excel in ground combat, and would offer a rather interesting role playing background for players, a "primitive" race that actually beat the Klingons in ground contests who in turn agreed to join the Empire due to the honorable conduct of Captain Klag.

Just a thought that came to mind. STO has used many names, characters and ideas from Star Trek novels already, and the The Children of San-Tarah would make an interesting and fun addition to the STO universe.

And let's be honest here, who would not want to play an seemingly adorable teddy bear, in full klingon gear slicing up Federation players with a Bat'leth? Let the Federation have their kittens, I for one, would rather have a bear
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-21-2010, 04:20 AM
I like it, although most would have to read the book to truly appreciate this species...also add the chancellor class to the game too!!
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-21-2010, 05:41 AM
I dunno really... I mean in S2 we'll get bikini outfits for the KDF females... I'm not sure I can stomach the sight of a huge teddy bear in a little bikini... it's just... well not done you know...
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Awww, they're so cute...ohmygod it's eating my soul, IT"S EATING MY SOUL...!
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2010, 11:07 AM
It's been a while since I read that one, but I'm thinking the Children were wolf-like, not teddybear like.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFlash View Post
It's been a while since I read that one, but I'm thinking the Children were wolf-like, not teddybear like.
You might be right. I remember them being bear-like; but after re-reading the passages, they also have wolf-like features. There is another book featuring Klingons and a furry humanoid race by Keith R.A. DeCandido -- Diplomatic Implausibility (Star Trek The Next Generation, No 61) which features the planet taD -- Klingon for "frozen" -- and they called the bear-like people jeghpu'wI' -- conquered. But during the Dominion war the taD rise up and overthrow their Klingon overlords. Even when the world is retaken, the rebels insist on Federation mediation and Ambassador Worf becomes involved.

So clearly, from the Star Trek novels featuring Klingons, furry humanoids are rather common feature of the Empire and its sectors of space.

I just hope Cryptic picks something from the "greater universe" of the Star Trek background. After all, they have used Captain Mackenzie Calhoun from the New Frontier books in the game; hopefully they use the Children of San-Tarah or the taD and continue tapping the rich veins of Star Trek writing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Carebears from HELL!!!!