Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Hi i thought this could be seen from space.. its a minor point but still would of been a nice touch.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-19-2010, 07:20 AM
This is a myth. Most of the Great Wall of China isn't actually visible from space with the naked eye.

Why? Several reasons. It's long. It's not big. The largest sections of the wall are wide enough to allow horses and carriages to pass on top, but for the most part it's a pretty skinny structure. The wall isn't all that straight, either - it follows the surrounding countryside, and goes up and down hills. Lastly, the wall is pretty...well, brown. And it's surrounded (these days) by trees and stuff. It blends into the surrounding countryside rather than standing out.

There are some sections of the wall that are easier to spot - see this NASA article, and it's certainly visible with radar imagery. But frankly you're more likely to see things like paved highways than the Great Wall.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS_Indomitable
Hi i thought this could be seen from space.. its a minor point but still would of been a nice touch.
they moved starbase one

http://startrekonline.com/points-of-interest
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
This is a myth. Most of the Great Wall of China isn't actually visible from space with the naked eye.

Why? Several reasons. It's long. It's not big. The largest sections of the wall are wide enough to allow horses and carriages to pass on top, but for the most part it's a pretty skinny structure. The wall isn't all that straight, either - it follows the surrounding countryside, and goes up and down hills. Lastly, the wall is pretty...well, brown. And it's surrounded (these days) by trees and stuff. It blends into the surrounding countryside rather than standing out.

There are some sections of the wall that are easier to spot - see this NASA article, and it's certainly visible with radar imagery. But frankly you're more likely to see things like paved highways than the Great Wall.
In addition not all of the great wall is.. well not very great anymore. large sections of it are basically just piles of rubble.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-21-2010, 12:36 AM
It can be seen from space, just. If you're orbiting fairly low - the myth is that it could be seen from the moon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalibr_83 View Post
In addition not all of the great wall is.. well not very great anymore. large sections of it are basically just piles of rubble.
Indeed. Most of it has actually been torn down. And most rubble is now used in housing. It was on QI (quite Intersting; Quiz show hosted by Stephen Fry).
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-22-2010, 04:53 AM
I would also like to complain because I can't zoom in using a 25th century google earth and see my house and the future me playing this game

Cryptic fix plznthx
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Also don't forget that even if it could be seen, between now and the fictional future, earth has been devestated by the Eugenics wars and World War III. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Actually I could do with being able to orbit the planet successfully without running into graphical walls. Sam goes for the moon. I got weird shadow effects and collision when I went around it. Oh the things you will do when you are wondering if there are any exploration accolades lurking that you have never found.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Seriously? Out of all the things wrong with Earth...the SB1 and the Sol system you chose to whine about the most irrelivant one of them all? What about the starfield being blue...thats not right...it should be black! Oh and what about the repeating textures on the US east coast? And the planet not rotating? And the Starbase looking big and cartoony and poorly made? And what in the world is that singularity thing by the drydocks?