Lt. Commander
# 11
06-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram0207 View Post
I think immersion would come from just having more to do at end game, I know we have 4 STFs, but how about more places to go, daily missions, perhaps factions that you can gain allegiances with for better items or faction specific items, like titles or ship paint schemes, heck passive abilities would be awesome.
I don't exactly want to know what would foster immersion in STO and much as I would like people to contribute the meaning of immersion for them so that meaning can become of use to Cryptic.

We talk her eon the forums about what we think STO need to be a better MMORPG but we really never talk about the meanings behind the words we use, such as immersion. when we tell the STO developers we want more immersion they really need to know what we mean by that term. It is one of those words that has many meanings for many people.

So, ram0207, what does the word "immersion" actually mean for you?
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
immersion for me would mean things to do that aren't repetitive, it would mean that I was in a diverse environment that allowed me choices that I might regret other then diying, or the option to sign on with a faction and go a completely different direction than other players who have the same build and ship. For me immersion would require something that would make me want to invest time, even at great cost of my own time, otherwise I'm just playing a complicated video game.

Basically I can point my finger at a wonderfully immersive game, EVE online, but that is not why I signed on for STO, I wanted to play something that was an RPGlite, that I could level a toon in a few days, and hop on to do endgame with a group of five rather than a group of 100. I just expected there would be more of that endgame at an attempt to keep me involved, or immersed in the universe.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Immersion means, to me, the ability to put myself into a story and feel as though I'm actually doing something, that I'm involved, and most importantly that what happens matter.

I'm the type of person who goes around healing NPCs because I treat them as real, not because the game told me to, because I feel as though I'm there.

This is also why I buy single player games, even FPSs, for their story-lines. I could give a crap about multiplayer for most things.

For example, when I was playing Tabula Rasa, I liked the game because it made me feel like I was in real war, what with the orbital bombardments, the 40 foot alien mechs, and the drop ships randomly wandering around from both sides dropping off troops that would fight each other.

This is why STO bothers me. I do not at all feel as though I'm part of what I would view as the Federation or an intergalactic exploration/military/aid organization. I feel like an independent contractor, an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect the bill, as it were.

if the game were called Space Battle Adventures Of The Future, I would feel different. But oh well.

What would enhance immersion for me? Well, for one, the ability to control the ship from the bridge, environments that look like what they're supposed to be, a star map that's realistic, a sense of distance from one thing to another, a sense of proportion, damage when I hit something like an asteroid, a Federation that will supply me with what I need to do my best, a maximum rank of Captain, full axial flight, Bridge officers that work on stuff instead of giving magic powers, and, most importantly, some real RPG elements where I can interact with other species, perhaps through a dialogue tree like in the old Fallout games.

Going around blowing crap up is fine for a game like Tabula Rasa, but I really need more options in a game that's based on movies and series where most things are solved using brains and diplomacy.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Animaezing,

I'm really trying to not have this thread turn into a "what I wish STO was" thread. There are enough of those round here.

I will say two things though... First, hang in there for season 2. Supposedly the pew pew and the MA one-button-marathon will not be the only options in game play. The second is your wish for controlling the ship via bridge has some major tech issues and is probably not possible. Last I read was that bridge navigation will not be possible due to the way the engine works in relation to sector space and the bridge instance. what is happening is a revamp of sector space. Who knows what that could mean.

Thanks for your input to the discussion I'm trying to foster here.

for others who may post, I still would like to avoid discussing STO directly. Lets keep with the Immersion discussion.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
Immersion has a distinctly different meaning for video game players and MMORPG players than "the consensus". It is that meaning I am addressing.
So people who immerse themselves in the story/characters of a good book, or movie, or other kind of video game are doing something different than people who play a MMO?

Immersion means immersion regardless of what you are doing. You are either immersed or not.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by japax
"I want to be a medical officer working on the crew of my buddies ship and let HIM be the captain" would be easy, actually implementing that would not be feasible since it would then be impossible for solo players to be able to play since they would have no crew. Also, the problems of a crew of players who find themselves unable to play because Jimmy the Engineer isn't in game on Saturday would be terrible. So, while considering that, also come up with options that would fit within that idea.
You make some excellent points. The engine already exist to allow players to team up. You can already do it in space or ground missions. It's figuring out what can the "Medical Officer" do while on his buddy's ship. That would be an interesting thing to develop. That is one example. As for the times when your shipboard buddy can't be on you could have an NPC to fill in. A few months ago I read a thread that discussed having missions that allowed you to interact with your crew and your ship. There is always room for development. Development is only limited by the imagination.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil70th
You make some excellent points. The engine already exist to allow players to team up. You can already do it in space or ground missions. It's figuring out what can the "Medical Officer" do while on his buddy's ship. That would be an interesting thing to develop. That is one example. As for the times when your shipboard buddy can't be on you could have an NPC to fill in. A few months ago I read a thread that discussed having missions that allowed you to interact with your crew and your ship. There is always room for development. Development is only limited by the imagination.
Could you please contribute to the discussion at hand and refrain from passive or active hijacking? What are your thoughts on the meaning of "immersion", Evil70th?