Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-25-2010, 08:24 AM
FUTURE PROMOTIONS?

There will be ZERO SUPPORT from the community. Cryptic killed the goose on this one. You can't get milk from the cow after you slaughter it.

I worked my A** off, and got 13 subscribers to buy the game.

(1) my EXCLUSIVE ship is now going to be purchaseable in the C-Store. So it is no longer exclusive.
(2) A reward for getting 5+ subscriptions is not avaiable to me, becuase they diddn't bill by yesterday.

And this is after

(3) My Pre-order exclusives went into the C-Store
(4) my LTS benefits are all but gone....just waiting for the last one to leave.

Cryptic, you have effectivly destroyed your future customer base!
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 910burns View Post
(1) my EXCLUSIVE ship is now going to be purchaseable in the C-Store. So it is no longer exclusive.
You got the ship for free and others will be paying money for it. How exactly did you lose here??
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenn View Post
Wrong, 5 Persons payed for 5 Games and at least 5 Months, the Galaxy-X is simply an Bonus (again, for FREE).
Wrong again, regardless of who paid, it had a value of at least $300 to cryptic. The referral program is asking us (the players) to go out and find new-recruits with a reward at the end for earning $300 on cryptic's behalf.

Maybe if we changed the scenario a bit....
"Girl Scouts who sell over $1,000 in cookies will receive this exclusive Girl Scout Barby not found in stores."
<Month later>
"Buy this Girl Scout Barby at Walmart for 10 bucks! Those who got it through the cookies service can have this 10 dollar coupon to buy some cookies with."

I think the girl scouts who completed the $1,000 in cookies would be ****ed.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix
Wrong again, regardless of who paid, it had a value of at least $300 to cryptic. The referral program is asking us (the players) to go out and find new-recruits with a reward at the end for earning $300 on cryptic's behalf.

Maybe if we changed the scenario a bit....
"Girl Scouts who sell over $1,000 in cookies will receive this exclusive Girl Scout Barby not found in stores."
<Month later>
"Buy this Girl Scout Barby at Walmart for 10 bucks! Those who got it through the cookies service can have this 10 dollar coupon to buy some cookies with."

I think the girl scouts who completed the $1,000 in cookies would be ****ed.
This entire line of thinking is entirely wrong. You've totally missed the point of the referral program and what the "rewards" of it are.

Sad really.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
You got the ship for free and others will be paying money for it. How exactly did you lose here??
You have no idea how much time you have to spent to bring 5 new subscribers to the game. I tell you what: If the ships costs 100$ in C-store and I would have known this eight weeks ago, I would have waited and easily paid the money instead of doing this bunch of work.

I had to do promotions, ingame-support, newbie-help and answer endless mails and PNs about the game. I had about 20 players at the same time in my referal account, and only 6 of them finally bought the game and subscribed so I got the ship. It was hell of work to get this done...

I spent hunderts of hours of free time to succeed. 100$ are peanuts compared to this. And you ask me what I lost? I lost nothing. But Cryptic has lost all of their reputation by this huge scamming of their promoters. I will never ever trust them again.

They billed 4000 CP at my account as compensation. They should put their CP to a place where the sun never shines. I don't need their CP... and there's nothing of interest in their C-Store.

They are scammers and liars. Plain and simple.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 910burns View Post
Cryptic, you have effectivly destroyed your future customer base!
This is my biggest concern through all of this. Cryptic has displayed a phenomenal lack of good judgment over the last few weeks. Trust in the company is just gone. I fully expect to be charged for patches, updates, and season content. It would go right along with their recent actions.

I don't even know what Cryptic could do to restore a sense of good faith at this point. Their reputation is pretty much FUBARed.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
This entire line of thinking is entirely wrong. You've totally missed the point of the referral program and what the "rewards" of it are.

Sad really.
I think you missed the point of the referral program. If the objective was to get players to get there friends in for the sake of better enjoyment of the game, there would have NOT be exclusive rewards at the end. In fact, there wouldn't BE a referral program in general, aside from a trial key, as players have been recommended the game to their friends.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-25-2010, 09:00 AM
It is very likely that this has wrecked the idea of vendor-specific and pre-order bonus in-game items for the entire industry. I for one will be quite pleased if that were the case, I find it to be a disgusting business practice.

I do think that Atari marketing has contributed to wrecking any hope Cryptic has for future promotions (not to mention Cryptic's reputation) and possibly for many other companies as well. Now nobody will be certain if this special little shiny or gewgaw or doodad or whateever -- in this game or others -- will never be available any other way. There will always be an iota of doubt. Cryptic likely will not (or should not) use shiny in-game items for promotions or programs again. They will probably rely on CP and free time awards (like most games do.)

Unless they put C-Points on the C-Store. The causality paradox would make Stephen Hawking weep. Please, think of the Stephen Hawkings.
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:

Sad really.
Indeed.

Cryptic will see only a tiny fraction of the Money spent on the Gal... i mean 5 Games!

Everyone who did the "hard" work got an acceptable Reward (6000CP, the Ship, The Doc, an Tribble, Titles and some Friends)
Everyone who decided to follow the quick, easy and dirty way got EXACTLY what they deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
Unless they put C-Points on the C-Store. The causality paradox would make Stephen Hawking weep. Please, think of the Stephen Hawkings.
Since he appeared in TNG.. can i have him as a Bridge Officer?

EDIT II: I vote for: NO E PEENS IN THIS GAME!
Lt. Commander
# 20 Hmm
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Reading all of this some of it makes sense and other I'm like you got to be kidding. When it comes to the Galaxy X and how your "SUPPOSED" to get it is though the referral program. "IF" done right, (as was intended), it would cost players nothing, and expand out player base. This would in turn make our missions more fun and our fleets bigger, and keep our beloved game up and running with the extra cash flow. However there are players who must have the best of the best, the rarest of the rare will spend/move heaven and earth to obtain all these things. Lets face it we've seen this done in countless MMO's, it's happened there and it's happening here.

Now my two cents is this. Cryptic moved this ship to the cstore so ppl would not have an advantage/coolness that was not properly obtained. Lets face it, if you were paid to hand out fliers for a business and didn't do it properly, I'd imagine they'd be understandably ****ed off. As for the ppl who payed though the teeth with multiple account feeling ripped off, well read the title again, it's called, "Referral Program". Then it says, "Friend's Email", then "Hey there! I am playing Star Trek Online and would love to have you join me. Check it out!".

This all obviously points to bringing in new players and to do it wisely. So if you didn't read the obvious print sorry about your luck, lean back relax, but you did do it to yourself. Now the players that did do it though legit means and can prove it, though their referrals being online lvl'd up to a reasonable spot since their start date. I would be upset also.

This is not bashing or smashing but just my two cents.
Closed Thread