Lt. Commander
Quote:
German online game company Gameforge signed a worldwide licensing agreement with CBS Consumer Products to develop and publish browser-based, free-to-play games based on classic science fiction franchise Star Trek.
Quote:
The company has so far planned two Star Trek titles, a Facebook game developed by an external German studio, and a browser-based release from another external developer in California.
The important part!!!

Quote:
The browser-based titles -- one based on the classic Star Trek series, and the other on Deep Space Nine -- will complement if not compete against another game based on the property: Cryptic Studios and Atari's subscription-based MMORPG Star Trek Online, which released for PCs last February and requires users to buy and download/install before playing.
Source

All I want to know, is this:

Will this game complement STO? If so, please fill us in!!

If not, delete this thread since it will have nothing to do with STO
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
I think in this cse, they mean it will aesthetically complement STO, not that the two games are linked.

As in, beer complements sausage. The sun complements the moon. You can appreciate both and get a deeper appreciation by doing both at the same time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-25-2010, 06:21 PM
If you have ever played Farmville or Mafia Wars then the obvious answer is no. These games tend to have a lower ability quotent then most other games. I think of them not much above a game like Checkers. While there is some LIMITED interaction with friends you may have or recruit to these games, they are far from MMO's.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Also, Gameforge is at least three times the size of Cryptic last I checked.

And like the guy said, they develop little Bejeweled type minigames.

At best I could see some kind of cross promotion being worked out where each game gives players an item code for the other.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
If you have ever played Farmville or Mafia Wars...
I have not, so forgive the naivety

I was hoping that they would tie-in, honestly. These "Trek" games, know little to nothing about the quoted games.

Apparently my hopes were raised for naught, unless a Goldilocks has something to add?

EDIT (To repair: no to know)
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-25-2010, 07:06 PM
they may be doing something similar to what Dragon Age did ?

I remember if you played the online DAo game, it unlocked gear that you could use in-game.

be cool if these did that too.