Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-26-2010, 08:17 AM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. The Galaxy-x is coming to the c-store because most of the people who tried through the referral program just bought five games and five 1 month subs and some of us don't have that many friends interested in Star Trek either. And not everyone is going to be using this in PVP. I plan to buy it, but it seems to more for PVE to me. Its basically a very slow turning, but tough escort. It has one less weapon slot and less console slots. The Beam weapon it has and most cannons that could be put on it have a 45 firing arc so it can only shoot in a narrow corridor and it turns horribly so it shouldn't be too hard for klingon ships to stay behind it or too the sides. And the worry that the cloak is going to destroy PVP, well the klingons have only one main advantage in PVP. The ability to regroup undetected after respawn because of the cloak, this assuming their team communicates. The Feds don't have that ability, but if the Fed Team can communicate its not a huge advantage for the klingon team so even this is balanced with good communication. And if the entire Fed team is using the Galaxy-X then its a team full of crusiers, which I have seen many of those destroyed in my time. The Galaxy-X is not the be all end all of the game and PVP. It has enough disadvantages to make up for the advantages.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Then it wouldn't be Star Trek, and it wouldn't be a game with asymmetric balance. Instead it would be just another MMO with complete symmetry on all sides with the only difference being how they look. (That's because it would only be the first step, next they would want the T5 defiant to have battle cloak and universal stations and with enough whining they'd get it, then carriers, and so on)

Would you want to play that game? I wouldn't that's for sure, if the devs can't respect canon enough to keep cloaking out of the hands of the Federation, then there is no telling how far they'll go in disrespecting canon...
Would you please explain to me WHY for goodness heaven's sake both the Enterprise-D in All Good Things and Admiral Janeways shuttle in Endgame had cloaking devices if it's not canon? Maybe you have some special definition of canon I'm not familiar with?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberjac View Post
yadayada


you do know that the galaxy actually is rated higher than the sovereign on the nerd-scale of ship power?



If you'd want to make it like the show, the galaxy would have to be a battering ram that once in a while stays still and turns into a hugearse turret that lobs one hit doom phaser bursts at people....




aside from that:


The galaxy x is basically a t4 galaxy with a cloack and a special phaser cannon.


Now, do yo ufear t4 galaxys in pvp? no you do not.


The lack of consoles alone ramp down its potential firepower by a huge margin compared to the assault cruiser.




In one on one duels, i have NEVER seen the galaxy x pull ahead of an AC - and that was with SKILLED players.

The Galaxy x is a step down in combat performance.
But, it IS a galaxy, a fancy, shiny, new galaxy and we will fly it because we want to, not because it will offer ANY advantage in pvp besides "not getting shot at unless you de-cloak".

The Beam lance, reportedly, does negligible damage, and the thought of a galaxy with cannons should make you laugh your klingon beards off instead of sitting here yelping.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Would you please explain to me WHY for goodness heaven's sake both the Enterprise-D in All Good Things and Admiral Janeways shuttle in Endgame had cloaking devices if it's not canon? Maybe you have some special definition of canon I'm not familiar with?
Although I agree it's canon that the Federation has used and tested cloak, morally they don't use it.
Read Path to 2395

In short it covers the Federation testing cloak and also why they don't use it now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekTheStars
Although I agree it's canon that the Federation has used and tested cloak, morally they don't use it.
Read Path to 2395

In short it covers the Federation testing cloak and also why they don't use it now.
Times change. Taris complained about it, but now it is revealed that she destroyed Romulus herself and Sela has replaced her. Sela almost has declared open war on the Federation, systems directly next to Starbase Sierra have been attacked, so Okeg's policy is obviously a failure. It's just a matter of time and CBS until the Federation gets the cloak.

Personally, I'm against the Galaxy-X having it as long as other Fed-ships don't. But I don't get the opposition to Feds getting cloak. There's still a lot that makes Klingon ships different.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26 Screwed AGAIN!
06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
OK here we go again, same old retoric from almost a year ago. And from Beta and from launch. I am sick and tired of the Klingon faction getting boned and the predominately Fed players responding with "OH SHUT UP and LIVE WITH IT". The Vo'Quv carrier was supposed to be the biggest baddes ship around, sorry no cloak, it makes the game crash, so we took it off instead trying to fix it. Oh sorry, to many pets the Feds are crying...again. SO lets strip it down and only give 6 weapons slots, 8 fighters that are non upgradeable. And ...taadaa and big fat freaking target that last for about 5 seconds in PvP. Now...we see the Galaxy X class coming out...with cloak...hmm are going ot go back and give the Vo'Quv it's cloak, probabely not. But hey let's not stop here, the RSE will prob. be a playable faction by season 3. Is the D'dedrix class warbird not going to be able to cloak? That would really be dumb, considering it does in canon. But it's supposed to be big and bad and ...oh wait, it's bigger..by canon than the Enterprise..better NERF it to hell along with the Vo'Quv.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Would you please explain to me WHY for goodness heaven's sake both the Enterprise-D in All Good Things and Admiral Janeways shuttle in Endgame had cloaking devices if it's not canon? Maybe you have some special definition of canon I'm not familiar with?
Yes the Enterprise-D (AGT) had a cloak, but the Pasteur didn't did it? It was never explained why the ship had a cloaking device, but that stuff aside I'm not arguing that it's canon for the Galaxy-X to have cloak, in fact you can post search me and see that I was fine with it having cloak when it was part of the referral program (namely because it would be a rarely seen ship).

The issue here is that the Federation should not have cloaking on a wide scale, and that's exactly what will happen when this thing goes to the C-Store; every assault cruiser captain (and many star cruisers) will buy it thinking that it will make them 'uber' or some stupid sh** and that they'll stop sucking at PvP, only to find that it's not the cloak that gives the Klingons the upper hand in pug matches (ooooh their tears will sustain me!!!).

In Roddenberry's own words, "Our heroes don't sneak around."

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Times change. Taris complained about it, but now it is revealed that she destroyed Romulus herself and Sela has replaced her. Sela almost has declared open war on the Federation, systems directly next to Starbase Sierra have been attacked, so Okeg's policy is obviously a failure. It's just a matter of time and CBS until the Federation gets the cloak.

Personally, I'm against the Galaxy-X having it as long as other Fed-ships don't. But I don't get the opposition to Feds getting cloak. There's still a lot that makes Klingon ships different.
It's not a times change sort of thing, the same President that signed the Ban on research into cloaking technology is still in office in 2409 and it's nowhere near an election year. With the war with the Klingons he will want to keep the Romulans from getting too ****ed and if he lifted the ban then they would really get angry.

Bottom line, the game's own lore, the show's canon, and Roddenberry's own words go against the Federation having full scale cloaking.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Actually this could be a blessing in disguise, since Cryptic kisses the ass of the dominately federation players.
Maybe they will start whinning and crying when that torpedo DOESN't loose its lock when you go to cloak and impacts on your bare hull cause your shields are down. And then Cryptic will be forced to fix the freaking problem...finally. Oh wait...we were told to "Live with it"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
Yes the Enterprise-D (AGT) had a cloak, but the Pasteur didn't did it? It was never explained why the ship had a cloaking device, but that stuff aside I'm not arguing that it's canon for the Galaxy-X to have cloak, in fact you can post search me and see that I was fine with it having cloak when it was part of the referral program (namely because it would be a rarely seen ship).
Well, the Pasteur was a medical ship, the Enterprise a dreadnought. And it's funny, because I'm against the Galaxy-X having a cloak. It was explained, that there was no Romulan Empire to speak of left in that timeline and that's why the Federation got the cloak. This doesn't apply here, so I'm against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
The issue here is that the Federation should not have cloaking on a wide scale, and that's exactly what will happen when this thing goes to the C-Store; every assault cruiser captain (and many star cruisers) will buy it thinking that it will make them 'uber' or some stupid sh** and that they'll stop sucking at PvP, only to find that it's not the cloak that gives the Klingons the upper hand in pug matches (ooooh their tears will sustain me!!!).
So what's your problem? Personally I am sure that the Sovereign is the better ship. I'm still planning to get a Galaxy-X. Why? Style. I don't care for the cloak, but I love the look of the Galaxy and want to fly it on T5. (Okay, I'm no PvPer, so I don't affect you anyway.)
What would be so horrible if Federation ships could get a cloak? You say it yourself: It won't make them better in PvP. So as long as Klingon ships and Fed ships are balanced (meaning you get your hull buffed when the feds get cloak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
In Roddenberry's own words, "Our heroes don't sneak around."
Roddenberry didn't want war for more than one episode either. Just look at DS9...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
It's not a times change sort of thing, the same President that signed the Ban on research into cloaking technology is still in office in 2409 and it's nowhere near an election year. With the war with the Klingons he will want to keep the Romulans from getting too ****ed and if he lifted the ban then they would really get angry.
The Romulans are already angry. The whole point of the Romulan story arc for the Feds is to dissuade them from all-out war through force. Part of it is destroying a Romulan fleet, that prepares to cross borders to bombard Vulcan with subspace weapons and a secret fleet of Borg-enhanced ships. They specifically state that Sela would declare war if she could. And politcians can change their policies if they become to unpopular. The person he made that agreement with is a crazy mass-murderer and her replacement is a crazy wannabe mass-murderer. Add a lot of dead Starfleet officers to the mix and that's a recipe for becoming unpopular.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
As i warned about a month ago it appears Cryptic will be offering the Federation Galaxy X Cloaked Ship in the C-Store soon.
And.........
They will be introducing Federation Cloaking to non C-Store ships to in STO.
Every Starfleet player will have the opportunity to cloak.......

The proof: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2784082

That's STUPID. If Fed Cloak then why do u guys want Romulans.

Isn't it bad enough that Klingon ships cloak.

All this Cross culture tech is BS

Feds using Disrupters
Klingons Using Phasers
FEDs and Klingons with Plasma Torpedos.
etc....

Yeh keep F-in up the game. Good work dummies.

Come on already - this is stupid -
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:12 AM.