Lt. Commander
# 51
06-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Yep, working fine thanks.

Hope you don't mind but i'm gonna post a link to this on our fleet forum.

Need to have another look at the efficiency skills though. My sci captain is packing Aux effic 9.
Lt. Commander
# 52
06-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomaster View Post
Yep, working fine thanks.

Hope you don't mind but i'm gonna post a link to this on our fleet forum.

Need to have another look at the efficiency skills though. My sci captain is packing Aux effic 9.
Good good. Why would I mind? Please do post this thread link wherever you like. Thanks! Yah, no sense having Aux Effic 9 if you're always running Aux at 75+. Waste of skill points, that is!
Lt. Commander
# 53
07-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Just a little bump of me own thread. Hope some people can get a use out of the calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 54
07-05-2010, 03:42 PM
First of all, Bump.

Second, great tool. It has helped me figure out why I had issues getting certain aspects of the skill tree to work.

Third, if possible under the Shields tab, could you include something that tracks the use of a shield emitter amplifier? I'm a tac and that console has kept my shields up when by rights, they should have been down.

Again, great tool and to the moderators, BUMP.
Lt. Commander
# 55
07-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoTerok
First of all, Bump.

Second, great tool. It has helped me figure out why I had issues getting certain aspects of the skill tree to work.

Third, if possible under the Shields tab, could you include something that tracks the use of a shield emitter amplifier? I'm a tac and that console has kept my shields up when by rights, they should have been down.

Again, great tool and to the moderators, BUMP.
Thanks for searching me out in game. It was startling to be recognized by a stranger (don't worry, I won't let it go to me head, lol ).

Sure. In the next version I'll add a field to include the Shield Emitter Amplifier console bonus to the shield regeneration stat. Good idea.

But let me point out that you might want to switch to a shield Field Emitter console. 1) There is already a spot on the main page to include that affect (not that I won't add what you're asking for, either way). 2) These consoles improve Shield Power directly. Each point of shield power above 50 gives a +4% regeneration buff.

=== After Testing ===

Ok, so an Uncommon Mark X Shield Emitter Amplifier is listed as giving a +11% Shield Regeneration Rate buff. A similarlly ranked Field Emitter gives +6 Shield Power Setting. That should be the same as a +24% regen buff, and it will improve your shield damage regneration (Based on the formula in the calculator you get 1% additional resistance, not much, but it's still something). Much more than the +11% given by the Amp.

However, Real World doesn't quite match up. I bought from the exchange one of each. Relative stats here are that my shield has a base regen of 131 and my shield power is 72/50. According to my Status > Passives > Other - Covariant Shield Emitter, my shield recovers 247 Shield Regeneration every 6 seconds. This is in-line with what the Calculator shows I should have (calc shows a +88% which is 246/6s, ie within "normal rounding variance").

If I mount the Uncommon Mark X Field Emitter, my power goes up to 78/50, and my recovery goes up to 278/6s (or +112%. And that fits the described formula too: +6 Power = +24%. +88%+24%=+112%).

But when I mounted the Uncommon Mark X Shield Emitter Amplifier, I expected 88%+11% or +99% and thus 261/6s. But what I got was 275/6s or +109%.

So it appears the Shield Emitter Amplifier is giving +21%. Hmm... Well, I don't have time right now to figure out the maths. Or maybe there's a bug. I dunno. I'll get back to testing another time and post what I find here.

Bottom line though, you still get a higher regeneration on your shields (and the added shield damage resistance) if you use a Field Emitter.

Lt. Commander
# 56
07-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Great tool, PatricianVetinari!

BTW, I noticed you hosted the spreadsheet at Google Docs, but for whatever reason you can't actually view it through there. As an alternative, I'd suggest uploading it to Microsoft's SkyDrive (which comes with every Live account) and making it publicly accessible through Office Web Apps. Because it's online and viewable through a web browser, users no longer need a spreadsheet application installed (great for smartphones!). It'll be easier for users too since they only have to click on a link instead of having to manually download a ZIP file and open the spreadsheet, and the side bonus is that you can update the file as needed and users will automatically access the most recently updated version without ever having to repeat a download. I highly recommend giving it a try. It's a really awesome way to share documents. I uploaded the spreadsheet to my own personal SkyDrive storage and based on some quick testing, everything appears to work fine.

As a side note, Office Web Apps is sooooo much better than Google Docs. It's one of the very few areas where MS is kicking Google's ass.
Lt. Commander
# 57
07-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Ok sorry for being a noob, but i cannot open the document, it opens in google docs as a zip file, i have tried to hit open, download, and export all fail to do anything, i see it in my google docs now as a zip file but cannot use it. please help
Lt. Commander
# 58
07-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium4ever View Post
...instead of having to manually download a ZIP file and open the spreadsheet ...I highly recommend giving [Office Web Apps] a try...
I have the file zipped because I didn't want Google Docs displaying it natively. Mostly because the Google version negatively alters some of the sheet's aesthetic design, specifically the help text and some of the field titles.

Also, I'm a download/save-as kind of guy. I'm just old school that way, I guess.

When I originally posted it for sharing on Google, I picked them because I knew I could generically host a file there that anyone could grab. I didn't take time to find a proper "file sharing host" (I know there are many out there). And since updating, I still haven't. No one has seemed to mind or have any other problems with it.

That said, I'm always open to suggestion. I had never heard of Office Web Apps. I'll look into it when I get a chance, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark_Nexen
Ok sorry for being a noob, but i cannot open the document, it opens in google docs as a zip file, i have tried to hit open, download, and export all fail to do anything, i see it in my google docs now as a zip file but cannot use it. please help
Well now there we go. I too had a problem. Seems somehow my posted link got "dinged" and isn't working right. I rezipped and uploaded the file for v2.2.0. There's a new link, fixed in the posts above, or you can:

[Give this a click] Edit: Old Link Removed. See first post in this thread for current link.

Quark, you should be taken to a Google Doc screen with a link in the center to download the document. There should not be a need to sign on. Click that and a window should pop up prompting you to Open, Save, Cancel. Go with Save, put in on your computer, then explore to it and open the file.
Lt. Commander
# 59
07-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinari
I have the file zipped because I didn't want Google Docs displaying it natively. Mostly because the Google version negatively alters some of the sheet's aesthetic design, specifically the help text and some of the field titles.

Also, I'm a download/save-as kind of guy. I'm just old school that way, I guess.

When I originally posted it for sharing on Google, I picked them because I knew I could generically host a file there that anyone could grab. I didn't take time to find a proper "file sharing host" (I know there are many out there). And since updating, I still haven't. No one has seemed to mind or have any other problems with it.

That said, I'm always open to suggestion. I had never heard of Office Web Apps. I'll look into it when I get a chance, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it too!
I'm not surprised you haven't heard of Office Web Apps. It was released a month ago and there's been almost zero advertising for it. Not entirely surprising as they don't want to cannibalize sales of Office, but it really is a great thing because it's compatible with Office documents in a way Google Docs will never be, and for most users it's powerful enough to replace Office. I opened up your spreadsheet in both OWA and Office and they look and work almost exactly the same (the only difference I could find: the OWA truncates the final 0 in the date at the bottom right. LOL.)

EDIT: I just uploaded your spreadsheet to my Google Docs account to check it out, and you're right, the aesthetic is truly horrible. It works, but it's ugly as hell.

BTW I've sent you a PM with the URL to my SkyDrive storage so you can check out how your spreadsheet fares under OWA without having to do any work. I think you'll agree it looks way better than the Google Docs version.
Lt. Commander
# 60
07-08-2010, 10:39 PM
EDIT : I apologize , the info i am asking is already posted and answered , i will remove this.
Closed Thread