Lt. Commander
# 21
06-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Actually, the only time you kill someone on ground in STO is if they get vaporized or if the mission specificly states that they are killed.

Otherwise they are just unconcious and just need medical attention.
I highly doubt a doctor could attend the pile of ash that remains after vaporizing someone.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
I highly doubt a doctor could attend the pile of ash that remains after vaporizing someone.
You don't know Romulan doctors, do you? At least they could put them together within seconds when I could still vaporise people with my fists.
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Perhaps you might want to re-read my post.
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
Does beaming someone somewhere via the transporter kill them? Is the person that materializes the same as the person that was energized? Is that person a copy of the original? Does one's 'soul', if such a thing truly exists, transport along with the body?
All questions that are outside of Star Trek, beaming a person up merely converts them to and from energy and as far as the canon of Star Trek is concerned they're the exact same person with their same soul or what-not after beaming. Except in the case of strange transporter malfunctions, of course. Then you can wind up being cloned, being sent back in time, being lost in dimensional flux or just about anything else plot demands.
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
I have no idea what they intended, but I do know that when someones shoots at me with a huge assault weapon I shoot back.
Like he said,
If they didn't want to die in a blaze of phasers, then the patrons should n't have attacked me and my team. I have no problems with STO portraying the darker side of the federation and the universe it exists in.
Lt. Commander
# 27
06-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sol
All questions that are outside of Star Trek, beaming a person up merely converts them to and from energy and as far as the canon of Star Trek is concerned they're the exact same person with their same soul or what-not after beaming. Except in the case of strange transporter malfunctions, of course. Then you can wind up being cloned, being sent back in time, being lost in dimensional flux or just about anything else plot demands.
It's not really that clear-cut. Philosophers have debated similar questions since the earliest roots of the various philosophical traditions from around the world.

That said, I roughly adhere to Locke's concept of identity as continuity of memory, so as far as I'm concerned transported people are the same people. As an aside, that means I also consider Worf's brother to be dead.

Regarding the original intent of this thread, no, I don't think it's supposed to be like the bar brawl from The Trouble With Tribbles at all. I think it's supposed to be more like scenes from westerns or various cop action movies where the 'good guy' goes into a place full of 'bad guys' or just grumpy locals and gets attacked. I also think that when outnumbered by people firing deadly weapons at you without any sort of reasonable provocation*, not responding with the full measure of suppressive force** at your disposal is not only stupid but carelessly endangering the lives of your crew.

*I mean WTF, we're going through and pointing out ways the owner is endangering and, more importantly, ripping off the patrons. They shouldn't be shooting us, they should be buying us (watered down) drinks.

**Given that all Away Team members as well as enemy NPCs (when the enemy has medics) can always be revived, I don't find it a stretch at all to say that nonlethal force has been used unless you choose to use the Exploit mechanic to vaporize people.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-28-2010, 05:55 AM
I can't argue with OP's post. If it was meant to be a bar brawl, his suggestion of disabling weapons would be the best choice. Also, a brawl like that would be a nice touch in the game. The mission as it is now is just another shootout like you did a fantastillion times before and after. Throwing stuff around would be nice, too.