Lt. Commander
# 31
11-26-2008, 06:35 PM
As any good update does, this just opens all sorts of cans of worms

Keep it up Cryptic

--- Could the green pods be an indication of Borg technology upgrades???
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0238 View Post
I have to ask this question, it seems that, graphic-wise, some of the screenshots that we have been given look inconsistent, some like the vulcan outpost look amazing, while others though conceptually very nice like the starship in drydock, look like a cartoon, not something, I think we expect from STO. Are the graphic settings really low, or is it the full effect??
Nope. Those are actually high quality graphics, just not the style you are expecting. The style seems to be bright, vibrant colors rather then more photorealistic shading. This is a design choice and is not usually indictive of the engine itself.
After all, look at Team Fortress 2. It uses similar shading styles and it's run off the Source Engine, which produces Half-Life 2.

My point is:
If you don't like how it looks, blame the designer, not the engine.
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Also consider that typically your not going to be standing 3 feet away from a star ship, and that they may need the ability to render 40+ of them on screen at once.

Long story short, Its all about optimization.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Seriously did ya'll know today was my birthday? Thanks
happy b-day van.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-26-2008, 07:08 PM
i agree these are great screens, cant wait for the next tid bits of screens, info ,and movies. that will lead up to stos launch keep up the great work cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Boo! Hiss! Damn you all and your broken phaser arrays with giant impediments and futuristic non-Medieval stereotypically Medieval style castle... Damn you. I wanted a genuine Medieval world and a single, unbroken arc of phaser array. I have a dream, that every child can fire all his firepower in every direction without spinning like a top, and can visit alien amusement parks full of mystery and redshirt life threatening danger, Preserver worlds full of humans in strange analogs of Earth, and kill interesting people across the universe. I have a dream! A dream, of a Star Trek without giant, pointless, glowing panels instead of windows, and has not a wheel in sight. Where everyone has a personal shield, and a phaser with at least 16 settings, three of which are for punching bowling ball size holes in people. Where I can prance about without fear of of seeing something so out of character that I want to cry...

Other than that, I enjoyed the new pictures greatly.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Love it!Big hands i know your the one
Thanx again Cryptic!
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball06 View Post
Do the hands look really big on the federation officer outside the Klingon outpost to anyone else?
That's because the uniform... It's too tight, it interrupts the blood circulation. I mean just look at the skin rash on the science officers neck, painful!

Just kidding
Thanks for the three new screenshots, my faith in humanity is restored to a certain degree!
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
thanks for the candy
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Great pics!! I love the detail and pastel colour effect. This colour scheme is an excellent tool for artists to create and distort the mood of the viewer (especially if ur at a screen for 7hours).Good choice Cryptic