Lt. Commander
# 1 Newbie question: Rare BO's??!?
07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm curious if I'm doing something "wrong" by not using my new purple and blue BO's that were provided to me by Starfleet.
  • Do they have special powers/abilities?
  • Do they come with base bonuses?
  • Something else I missed?

Thanks for your time. I've only been playing STO for about 8 days and just recently starting getting all of these blue/purp BO's and I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between them and their counterparts.

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-02-2010, 10:11 AM
They have better traits, and may come with rare rank 3 powers that you cannot train from the skill trainer or from captain training. Generally this means they are better ground officers, as you can just train the rank 3 skill to another BO.

Very Rare, purple BOs, have better traits and may come with 2 very rare rank 3 powers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-03-2010, 06:40 AM
only 8 days and getting rare and very rare BOs? that is amazing as i have been playing since launch and have yet to recieve any BO's that are rare or very rare, had a couple uncommon ones. i have my main character and then a couple others i play as well and delete after updates and patches and new seasons to check out what has changed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovorn
I'm curious if I'm doing something "wrong" by not using my new purple and blue BO's that were provided to me by Starfleet.
  • Do they have special powers/abilities?
  • Do they come with base bonuses?
  • Something else I missed?

Thanks for your time. I've only been playing STO for about 8 days and just recently starting getting all of these blue/purp BO's and I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference between them and their counterparts.

Cheers!
White BOs -> Generic Traits
Green BOs -> 1 Superior Trait / 1 Basic Trait
Blue BOs -> 1 Superior Trait / 1 Normal Triat
Purple BOs -> 2 Superior Traits

So technically, Purples are better with better traits. But sometimes certain combinations of BOs are handy, like those who have Psionic resistance abilities come in handy against Remans and Undine, and there are Green Saurian BOs with the Efficient Trait, which helps in boosting warp core stats.