Lt. Commander
# 1 Boff rarity question
07-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Ok. I have several boffs ive had with me since the beginning, trained in what I want them to have. And I have several epic *purple* boffs that I havent let join yet, but im still holding on to. Several of them have a few nice things but not all of what I want. My question is.. is there a measureable difference? is the only thing that seperates these boffs from my normal ones the fact that they come with some level 3 skills already? Even if some of them aren't what I want? It doesn't mean I can train them higher than other boffs right? The only benefit they give is if they already have something that I cant train?

THose rare boffs obviously are super hard to find one that has all the skills you would want. Its so random. So again my simple question is.. are they better for any reason other than what they come with at the start? If out of four space skills it has one good one I want.. and I still have to retrain all its other skills to get what I want.. is it worth it for that ONE skill? Thanks for any input folks

If i'm right.. cryptic should change that. I mean.. if they have a rare/epic scale for boffs, even if its minimal they should get a small bonus even on basic skills since im using a more 'rare' boff. that would be the real benefit of getting them as rewards over lower level ones.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-05-2010, 01:01 AM
The skills are only half of the worth of the BOFF. They also should have better traits than the others. Look them up, and consider if they are worth it. I wanted to replace my old BO's with new ones by giving them the names and looks of their predecessors. However, I didn't find any with fitting race/gender/trait combinations. Maybe you have more luck.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-05-2010, 09:37 AM
From what I understand, in the next patch we'll be able to train our bridge officers from our respective rank 9 abilities in the skills tree and then put them back on the exchange. So, rank 2 and rank 3 on all Boff's will be a common thing here shortly.

Sadly, we don't have anything interesting like bridge officer story arcs or ability bonuses from ship familiarity mechanics, so Boff's are nothing more than a piece of gear. We likewise toss them out like old peices of obsolete gear when we find a better replacements. It's cheap, I know, but this is what cryptic gave us to work with.

Unless I'm missing something permenant traits appear to be ground only?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb2008 View Post
From what I understand, in the next patch we'll be able to train our bridge officers from our respective rank 9 abilities in the skills tree and then put them back on the exchange. So, rank 2 and rank 3 on all Boff's will be a common thing here shortly.

Sadly, we don't have anything interesting like bridge officer story arcs or ability bonuses from ship familiarity mechanics, so Boff's are nothing more than a piece of gear. We likewise toss them out like old peices of obsolete gear when we find a better replacements. It's cheap, I know, but this is what cryptic gave us to work with.

Unless I'm missing something permenant traits appear to be ground only?
At present there's only 1 trait on Bridge Officers for space: Efficient (obtainable only on Uncommon-grade Saurian boffs). All others are either ground-only, or broken (see: Human Leadership).
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Measurable difference? I really can't say. But as K-Tar said, skills are only half a BO's value. (And even then, only the level III skills really matter, especially the ones that "you" can't train -- either because you're a different career or the skill is just not trainable.)

So yes, traits are the other half. As far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), BOs come with 2 normal traits and then additionally:
  • Common BOs have 2 "basic" traits.
  • Uncommon BOs have a normal trait and a basic trait.
  • Rare BOs have a superior trait and basic trait.
  • Very Rare BOs have 2 superior traits.
Normal traits have normal strength, basic traits have 50% strength, and superior traits have 150% strength.

Anyhow, anecdotally, I've done what K-Tar described: my away team was originally made up of common/uncommon BOs. Sometime recently, I began replacing my away team BOs with rare/very rare equivalents (I kept their old name and appearance because I'm sentimental :p). I normally run B'Tran on elite and ground combat has suddenly become a lot more manageable, even against certain overpowered race/weapon combos.

Well, most of them, at least. /shakes fist at Crimto