Lt. Commander
# 11
07-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSOGray View Post
Because new ships in the 2380s were already half was through the 80000 block.........this is 20/30 years on from there, and when you consider that every single new ship starfleet constructs (from fighters, and runabouts to starships) has to have a new and unique registry number, it isn't hard to fathom cryptic have been landed the 90000 block for all our new shiny ships.........
Aside from NCC-1701 A-E.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I was bummed out at not being able to have a five digit registry number lower than 91001, but I understand why.

What I would like to see (when we get mission replayability) is a fix to the TOS Enterprise's registry from Past Imperfect. When fight along side her, you can see that she has no registry number! Where it should say NCC-1701 it just says U.S.S. Enterprise again. Does anyone know the reason for this? The only thing I could think of is that a four digit registry would cause a problem with something in the engine, maybe? It's a minute detail and largely unimportant...but it's the Enterprise.

Link for image of said Enterprise's lack of registry: http://revraven.shackspace.com/image...7-01-33-48.jpg

It might have been fixed in a previous patch, I haven't done the mission since shortly after launch. If so, uhm, well disregard this post.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Aside from NCC-1701 A-E.
USS Enterprise name is still in service hense why it has the same registry # they just add the refit letter to the end.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Aside from NCC-1701 A-E.
Yes...an exceptional case.....I don't remember seeing every singe ship running around with an A,B,C,D suffix and a very low reg number...but hey, that could just be me

Most ship names simply got re-used and were given a new reg number - ala Prometheus, Phoenix, Defiant (original connie to defiant class) etc.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastank View Post
well i thought shutte craft are tied into the mothership registry! so that a few less

:p
Runabouts have their own registry.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastank View Post
USS Enterprise name is still in service hense why it has the same registry # they just add the refit letter to the end.
Quote:
Yes...an exceptional case.....I don't remember seeing every singe ship running around with an A,B,C,D suffix and a very low reg number...but hey, that could just be me

Most ship names simply got re-used and were given a new reg number - ala Prometheus, Phoenix, Defiant (original connie to defiant class) etc.
You're right - most ship's names were just re-used. Even the second Defiant (Defiant-class) retained the registry number of the Sao Paulo - at least, according to available evidence (not including obvious scene reuse). In the Star Trek universe, there was something about the ship that bore the original NCC-1701 registry that caused Starfleet to decide to retain that particular number for that particular name and add a suffix to it. Of course, one wonders what would happen when the NCC-1701-Z is retired/destroyed.

Personally, I like the idea that Cryptic has limited what registry numbers are used. As OSOGray says, it fits with the timeline, and second, it forces people to be a little creative. That doesn't mean there won't be numbers like 91701 or 874205, but at least there won't be numerous 1701-(insert suffix here) floating around.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Because new ships in the 2380s were already half was through the 80000 block.........this is 20/30 years on from there, and when you consider that every single new ship starfleet constructs (from fighters, and runabouts to starships) has to have a new and unique registry number, it isn't hard to fathom cryptic have been landed the 90000 block for all our new shiny ships.........
There has never been a cannon confirmation/explanation as to how the registry system works. The USS Thunderchild had a RN in the 60000s, even though it was designed/first seen in First Contact, more than two years after the Defiant (74205) was launched. There is no reason why we cannot use numbers lower than 91000 other than the devs being lazy (or Paramount being jerks if they are the culprits) and not simply locking out 1701A-J/74205/74656 while allowing us to at least use 5-digit numbers staring below 91000.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber1250 View Post
There has never been a cannon confirmation/explanation as to how the registry system works. The USS Thunderchild had a RN in the 60000s, even though it was designed/first seen in First Contact, more than two years after the Defiant (74205) was launched. There is no reason why we cannot use numbers lower than 91000 other than the devs being lazy (or Paramount being jerks if they are the culprits) and not simply locking out 1701A-J/74205/74656 while allowing us to at least use 5-digit numbers staring below 91000.
Have to agree. My response when I chat with zinc on play with the dev the first time was that didn't want to mess with the timeline, nothing about Paramount or licenses....A simple choice. I think we should have what numbers we choice. We now have TOS uniforms and old school connies the timeline should not matter at this point. I would love to see 4 digit NCC myself, even if they were in the c-store.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I wish the number block started at 80000. I'd love to have an NCC 87000 (as I was born in 1987).
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huze64 View Post
I use my zip code with the suffix ( -z ) and I don't think anyone has told me, "Hey are you from Mckinleyville, CA ? -- yet. LOL
lol I just inventoried your kmart...... I am from Medford, OR and I use my zip code as my ships registration number as well