Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic,

It has come to my attention that people don't like the way sector space is handled at the moment, and I have to say I agree, it works, but it's small and doesn't have enough involvement to make it worth while. I know many people would have you try a system likes "EVE Online", but I know that system wouldn't work with your instance based missions and game play, so while posting on Jupitercolony.com in response to Stoked episode 41's question "How would you make Sector Space better?" I came up with this proposal. I hope you take a look at it, and consider many of these suggestions.

Make Sector Space, one really, really, large map, with the Trans warp gates as short cuts to certain sections of space. Inside of this space would be all the Systems that we already have, and you can fly up to it, and interact with them, maybe even allow us to choose different parts of the same system; the part with the missions, and parts for free exploration. Anyway, this Sector space would become the main place for Fleets to place their HQ/star bases, or enter others. Also, the Neutral zone would be an open PvP area where all the systems with in the NZ could be "conquered", giving players incentive to participate in PvP matches, and also giving high level players something to do. This would also be a good way to minimize queuing for Multilayer matches, and also force people to form small "Fleets" to work together to reclaim or fight over resources and contested territory. Obviously A faction controlled territory could never be taken. We would also have a nice effect as you move about sector space that gave the impression of an actual warp field around the ship; this would make the players feel they are at warp, and also liven up their experience. As I mentioned briefly earlier on, player owned and controlled HQ/star bases/ systems would be an excellent incentive to build fleets. These structures could only be placed by registered fleets and would cost hundreds of millions of energy credits, so Fleet involvement would be encourage to upgrade your Fleet's place. And finally, as they mentioned on the, the ability to fly through Sector Space while on the bridge, so that you can take care of some business and break up the monotony, I know people want to fly their ship from the bridge, but in the heat of battle your view screen would not do you justice, or benefit you, but out in Sector space, you really don't need to see all around you, just know where you are heading and see what's in front of you. This would be a great compromise to the bridge control debate, and give interesting options for players. Obviously, having the option to move directly to the bridge verse just sector space is required, but well worth the effort.

so to cap:
*Sector space transformed into one large map with lots of space and volume.
*Fleet owned and place-able structures.
*neutral zone is a PvP free for all, with new types of game play, like territory control, and mass fleet battles.
*Fly ship from Bridge while in sector space and having the option to go directly to the bridge from system space.
*Each system could have multiple options like free roam, and missions.
*adding a warp field effect around the ship as they move about sector space to give a sense of warp speed.
*The Trans warp gates can be used to transfer from one to another, cutting travel time down, by allowing players to ability to skip sections of space they don't need to travel in.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota2063 View Post
Dear Cryptic,

It has come to my attention that people don't like the way sector space is handled at the moment, and I have to say I agree, it works, but it's small and doesn't have enough involvement to make it worth while. I know many people would have you try a system likes "EVE Online", but I know that system wouldn't work with your instance based missions and game play, so while posting on Jupitercolony.com in response to Stoked episode 41's question "How would you make Sector Space better?" I came up with this proposal. I hope you take a look at it, and consider many of these suggestions.

Make Sector Space, one really, really, large map, with the Trans warp gates as short cuts to certain sections of space. Inside of this space would be all the Systems that we already have, and you can fly up to it, and interact with them, maybe even allow us to choose different parts of the same system; the part with the missions, and parts for free exploration. Anyway, this Sector space would become the main place for Fleets to place their HQ/star bases, or enter others. Also, the Neutral zone would be an open PvP area where all the systems with in the NZ could be "conquered", giving players incentive to participate in PvP matches, and also giving high level players something to do. This would also be a good way to minimize queuing for Multilayer matches, and also force people to form small "Fleets" to work together to reclaim or fight over resources and contested territory. Obviously A faction controlled territory could never be taken. We would also have a nice effect as you move about sector space that gave the impression of an actual warp field around the ship; this would make the players feel they are at warp, and also liven up their experience. As I mentioned briefly earlier on, player owned and controlled HQ/star bases/ systems would be an excellent incentive to build fleets. These structures could only be placed by registered fleets and would cost hundreds of millions of energy credits, so Fleet involvement would be encourage to upgrade your Fleet's place. And finally, as they mentioned on the, the ability to fly through Sector Space while on the bridge, so that you can take care of some business and break up the monotony, I know people want to fly their ship from the bridge, but in the heat of battle your view screen would not do you justice, or benefit you, but out in Sector space, you really don't need to see all around you, just know where you are heading and see what's in front of you. This would be a great compromise to the bridge control debate, and give interesting options for players. Obviously, having the option to move directly to the bridge verse just sector space is required, but well worth the effort.

so to cap:
*Sector space transformed into one large map with lots of space and volume.
*Fleet owned and place-able structures.
*neutral zone is a PvP free for all, with new types of game play, like territory control, and mass fleet battles.
*Fly ship from Bridge while in sector space and having the option to go directly to the bridge from system space.
*Each system could have multiple options like free roam, and missions.
*adding a warp field effect around the ship as they move about sector space to give a sense of warp speed.
*The Trans warp gates can be used to transfer from one to another, cutting travel time down, by allowing players to ability to skip sections of space they don't need to travel in.
Yup. Agreed!
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2010, 12:44 AM
+1 agreed
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Making SS huge is a good idea. I like the option to move to my bridge.

As far as having fleets that have registered to create a base is a good idea, but where would you place the base? I personally dont want to have SS crammed full of bases for those that want to do PvE. With that said, the open PvP area would be good for a PvP Fleet, thus allowing those fleets to make a base for them to launch PvP actions. This will also open a vast amount chances to attack that base, however the player needs to be part of the opposing faction fleet for an attack to take place. Sort of like making a Cross Faction Fleet Rival, thus eliminating a bunch of Pugs from forming and wiping up bases. There must be formal Declaration of War from both fleets, recognized by those fleet leaders, for a fleet battle action to take place on the opposing base. There would be no option for allied fleets on either faction side to join up and descimate an opposing faction base. The attacked base would be a closed instance and all fleet members could have a system message warning of the attack and have the option to warp straight to the instance and help defend or get crushed during the defense. The instance would have 2 phases, Space and Ground. Ofcourse the there would be no reason to totally descimate a base, just go in there and tear stuff up. This kind of Fleet combat would be similar to CoH/CoV base attack and defense, but I dont recall if it was ever implemented in that game. To elimate back to back to back assaults on a base from allied fleets, a 7 or 14 day cooldown for FA's against the attacked fleet will be needed for repairs and re-armament. In other words, "Ok. You got us, let us rebuild so we can have more fun."

I also suggest that allied fleets be able to send resources to an ally that has been recently beat down!

Just my thoughts....sling those opinions now
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Big sector space could be achived, I think, by scaling down everything (system models, ship models, speed, vis distance) in it. The problem I see there is the 50 ppl instance limit. A huge area with limited vis range would mean you could fly for hours without actually seeing anyone. I think that would be a step toward turning the game more into a single player experience.
I would just get rid of the border con popup.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Removing merely the popup might not be sufficient, you still got the loading screen and all. They need to come up with a better transition, assuming we can't get arbirtrarily sized sector spaces.

Maybe all sector blocks use the same map, but only a small subset is actually used and accessiable per instance. (The "few" normal occuring objects in sector space can't be that difficult to handle, particularly if there is a limited viewing range). A transition would be rendered when you leave for the next instance. There must be a way to load the other instance without forcing an actual visible transition - just suddenly ships behind you disappear and new ones appear in front of you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Okay, for the first one, You really don't need to Scale everything down. Space in a video game is relatively easy, You can make something infinitely large so long as the number of visible objects is the same. Take Free lancer for example. Space is enormous, but the objects inside of it are what eat up processing power; So unlike other games where the whole world is modeled and is chewing up processing power, space is relatively empty.

Second, having one large Sector map would remove a lot of the loading screens. Though you would still have to load between system to Sector space, but as you said, if we can get it stream lined, all the better.

Finally, something I was thinking about on the way over. Okay, so I had mentioned one large map, and all systems would be objects placed more in a three dimensional manner , but then I started thinking about nebula exploration missions and came to this idea. Treat them like systems, almost in the same fashion they are now, but for their Sector space avatar, you can have a large Nebula object, that you can transition into it and find your randomly generated exploration systems. The inside of these nebula shouldn't be boxes on the inside, but look like the nebula avatar, but from the inside, and much larger.

Keep up the good ideas guys, loving what I'm reading. And feel free to critique, so long as you are respectful and constructive in your criticism.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
i like

letters
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
sounds like a 5min loading time if ur gonna load the whole map
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfire25 View Post
sounds like a 5min loading time if ur gonna load the whole map
Not really. You only load sections at a time and instead of loading one block and then wait to load the next, you can easily load the the section you're in like normal, and then as you move have a dynamic load system where things in front of you are loaded and things you leave get unloaded. They do this a lot for games like GTA 4, or any other sandbox game, including oblivion. Once your out on the big map, you aren't sitting very long, nor during the transition. (At least no longer than we already are.)