Lt. Commander
# 381
06-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Try setting it to maximized window mode. Also what vid card are you using? I have never seen any of that or had the sound ticks you mentioned.
Lt. Commander
# 382
06-17-2010, 05:06 PM
I forgot to mention that, but I already run it in maximized window. Fullscreen and windowed does the same thing.

My vid card is an ATI HD4850, 1 gb ram.
Lt. Commander
# 383
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Alright guys, I've been reading this tread and trying to get the game running for a long time now.

My problem is, the launcher doesn't give me an Engage button to actually play the game.

the only thing that went wrong is when i tried to install internet explorer 7 i go this error from winetricks

"Note: command 'wget -O InstMsiA.exe -nd -c --read-timeout=300 --retry-connrefused --header Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...S/InstMsiA.exe' returned status 1. Aborting."

in the launcher though, everything displays correctly and the news and release notes window displays all the information, but the patch progress bar is missing (the blue backdrop is still there though) and there is just black where the engage button should be...

I'll love whoever can help me fix this.
Lt. Commander
# 384
06-22-2010, 04:02 PM
It's the same thing here, but you can just click 'Patch' when it says 'Ready' and the game will launch fine.
If there's a patch being installed, you can see the progress in the titlebar and it won't say 'Ready'.
Lt. Commander
# 385
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah I have ran into that problem the whole time too, I got used to it, also you can't access tribble because the button wont select.
Lt. Commander
# 386
06-23-2010, 03:39 AM
It doesn't tell me progress in the title bar, and there is no patch button. I left it running for quite some time so if it was patching it must have already finished by now...

All it says is star trek online in the title bar, and as I said before, there is just an empty black space where it should say patching/engage.
Lt. Commander
# 387
06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Do you get a blank white popup window when the launcher loads? Also can you take a screenshot of your loader screen?
Lt. Commander
# 388
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
So after two days, I've read through I think all of this thread. And it's been 20 years since I screwed with unix/linux based OS's... so frankly I'm lost.

That would be fine if I wasn't set on getting STO to play on my newly rebuilt Frankenstein PC.

I'm running Ubuntu - Lucid Lynx (10.04 LTS )

And I'm frankly lost. It sounds like Wiine source needs to be edited and compiled with some hacks/tweeks, but I'm frankly out of my league. Put a Harley of any year in front of my toolbox and I'm good to go with any of it... but computers and programming stopped being my forte sometime around 1994.

Is there someone who knows exactly what to do that wouldn't mind walking me through it either over Vent or g-talk?
Lt. Commander
# 389
07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
After butchering my way through a bit here's where I'm at.

Tried installing from disk running under wine. Worked with hangups till Star Trek Online.lnk, then the installer stalls out. But it's installed Star Trek Online.exe. So I configured Wine to run it in Winxp and launched it using the lastest Wine (1.1.42).

Launcher loads to login page, I try to log in, and it goes to "loading launcher" and then refreshes the log in page.

I have winetricks, but I can't figure out how to use it. What I've found are examples of people accessing it through something listed under plugins, but I don't have a plugins tab on any window in Ubuntu.

I've come to the end of what I can do with the information that I have.
Lt. Commander
# 390
07-08-2010, 05:07 AM
The installer may look like it's stalled around some directx-thing, but just leave it, it will eventually get finished.

I think the winetricks plugin-thing is about installing it in PlayOnLinux. There's a link to a video in here somewhere with a guide.

I gave up trying to get STO to run in Ubuntu. Just too many problems with graphics. I think it's because I have an ATI card though.
Closed Thread