Lt. Commander
# 11
07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Y-8's were good for that run. enough hard points for mining lasers tractor beams and still have defensive weapons. With the y-8 cargo hold it wasn't hard to get the guild stores filled with ore (and loots drops) in short order.
I imagine it is quite fun but unfortunately I have been on Y-8 mining ships only a few times and don't own one myself. Having both a Decimator and a Gunship with interior decoration I fell victim to the "no more than two POBs with items in them at a time" restriction.

The Y-8 mentioning did bring up an other STO idea though: for when/if the crafting- and gathering system is further expanded, how about allowing players to fly freight ships, granting the ability to harvest more resources in shorter time. Those freighters could be only very lightly armed (although the Y-8 in SWG certainly isn't only lightly armed ) and while mining/gathering there would be a chance of getting attacked. If that happens the freighter captain player could send out a distress beacon informing other nearby (in sector-space terms) players and offer them the option to come to help as a mission, kinda like when you get close to SB 24 on the lower levels.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
I think one thing is a must for ship interiors. A first person perspective option.

Cryptic has said before that one of the reasons they oversize certain areas is to avoid annoying camera problems. Well...first person would eliminate that entirely. I mean, who wouldn't want to explore their ship in first person? I can understand keeping combat 3rd person, but having the ability to be 1st person inside the ship, imo, is crucial.

This would allow not only for much more immersion, but also allow Cryptic to make rooms/corridors TO SCALE.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral-Flint View Post
I imagine it is quite fun but unfortunately I have been on Y-8 mining ships only a few times and don't own one myself. Having both a Decimator and a Gunship with interior decoration I fell victim to the "no more than two POBs with items in them at a time" restriction.

The Y-8 mentioning did bring up an other STO idea though: for when/if the crafting- and gathering system is further expanded, how about allowing players to fly freight ships, granting the ability to harvest more resources in shorter time. Those freighters could be only very lightly armed (although the Y-8 in SWG certainly isn't only lightly armed ) and while mining/gathering there would be a chance of getting attacked. If that happens the freighter captain player could send out a distress beacon informing other nearby (in sector-space terms) players and offer them the option to come to help as a mission, kinda like when you get close to SB 24 on the lower levels.
That idea has been brought up on another thread but is still a great idea and opens up a world of possibilities for the future. especially if said captains are neutral faction and can cross the neutral zone for trading runs. Klingons doesn't get much by way of anomalies and can't seem to process them even if they do (at least not that i have spotted) I know there was at least one episode with civilian Klingon ships like a freighter or transport.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Fun fact: some ships and houses in SWG have...sliding doors
Unfortunately the sliding effect is only displayed for one's own character, meaning if someone else around you walks through one of those doors it usually just stays closed.
Let's hope the STO version, if they really implement it which remains to be seen, works a little better.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-10-2010, 11:05 AM
as long as we aren't beaming or loading from room to room
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-10-2010, 11:41 AM
To solve the scaling problem they just need to severely limit how far you can zoom out (maybe to 1/3 zoom)